Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally road legal!

Options
  • 13-12-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭

Been off the road for most of this year, my DOE expired at the end of March but by then I was knee deep in nappies and babies, my wife had twins! Then my wife gets sick ended up in Vincent’s for 18 days, me home alone with two babies, she’s missing them – thank God for families and friends and modern medicine she’s going to be OK!

Took the van in for DOE in June cut me some slack it’s been a busy few months – not bad he says just needs two new top ball joints.

Can’t be too bad me thinks, I looked up the parts, they are part of the wish bone so now it’s two new wish bodes – ok check motor factors first, no joy they can get one but not both and they aren’t sure if it’s right but as it’s a special order I’d be stuck with it.

OK they suggest I try Toyota, might get lucky, they can get them but they are silly money 350 each ++ em no thanks.

OK the internet when I get time, with two small babies at home, little or no sleep for months – sure I’ve got lots to time to be searching, by the end of it I’m an expert in Toyota part number and have called most whole sale place in Dublin too.

Finally sourced them online for good money less than 200 for both from East Germany. “Not in ware house” is what Google translate says it means, pay pal refund!

Take a break for a month or two, end of August great found them in Germany again different site stock level keeps going up and down so, do they have them?

OK order them as see what happens, next day nothing in inbox saying not in stock, give it more time, week passes nothing arrives, mail them, nothing!

Give it a couple of days more mail them again but to a different address from earlier searching – reply – it just shipped here’s the tracking number.

Is this a currier or what it’s been in Bremen for days, now it’s in the UK.

October finally it’s here, the day I leave for Greece with work for a sailing competition.

Get back, yes that’s them! My brother in law is a mechanic and will fit them for me, but he’s just bought a house and is painting. OK he has time to fit them!

Oh they are connected to the torsion bars and the adjuster bolts are rusted can’t be opened. More delay

While it’s on the ramp I can see the exhaust is rustier than the Titanic and needs to be replaced – it’s not going to be easy for find, might have to order it form UAE and what if it’s wrong.

Buy new torsion adjustor bolts from Toyota, they are only 20 quid for two bolts and four nuts after all – but they have to order them so it take a week.

Cut the old ones off, had to drill the floor to get the new ones in but it’s easily fixed. Couple of hours later they are fitted.

Next weekend OK off to Trim to Souhan they are going to make me a custom stainless steel exhaust at a fair price – bling I’ll be the envy of every Boy-Racer!

Job done, she’s ready for DOE, rang garage in Bray, get transferred 5 times – f- this, call Murphy’s in Ballymount booked test. Rough night with Twins slept in and forgot test – call Murphy’s grovel and get next date possible, set alarm on phone so I don’t miss this one. Passed!

Cert in post, wait I’ve moved since last test and never changed the address, on to Shannon nothing to be done – it’s all automated! Send off log book to changes address and then I might get a new cert in post, this is not going to be quick!

Take a chance a call to the old apartment nobody home but popped a note in the letter box with my number – she called me – she’s kept our post – all of it.

Can’t get over to collect it for a week, finally have cert and letter from tax office I can tax it before Christmas! I’ll be able to go surfing and not worry about getting stopped!

What no pin. Download the forms, search for insurance cert, and trip to tax office.

Hope that they don’t notice the mistake Shannon made on the log book with my address, missing first letter of estate.

Tax disk in hand – finally I’m road legal, legit! It’s been a battle and expensive – but I’m back!

Those of the joys of owning an old Jap camper and becoming a Dad. Now all I need is time, that won’t be for sometime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Well done!!!.

I for one am wondering where you get your patience from?

I'd like that much myself.:)

Congrats, now enjoy.

Advertisement