Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emergency lighting testing

Options
  • 13-12-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

hi chaps
    regarding testing of emergency lighting
    half hour test can be done by a competent person
    3 hour test by person who has completed course?
    have asked questions all round
    get answers which all include "best practice", "should", "recommended"
    no body can or willing just to give me a yes or no answer
    let the floodgates open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

dolittle wrote: »
    hi chaps
    regarding testing of emergency lighting
    half hour test can be done by a competent person
    3 hour test by person who has completed course?
    have asked questions all round
    get answers which all include "best practice", "should", "recommended"
    no body can or willing just to give me a yes or no answer
    let the floodgates open

Depends what you mean by a competent person regarding the half hour test.

Answer is yes regarding the 3 hour test.

I.S 3217:2008 says anyone testing and inspecting emergency lighting systems needs to have done a recognised course.

Anyone can do the weekly visual check.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

i took that the 3 hour test you have to have done the course
    the tri-monthly test i assume can be done by a competent person, in this case an electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Makes the beta-light ones look good

no batteries

no wiring

no bulb

just works for 20 years

http://www.betalight.nl/html/index.php?page_id=193

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

whats the cost and brightness of those exits compared to 230v maintained led exits?

you'd still have wiring for the rest of the escape lighting..'battery only' units won't provide that

i took that the 3 hour test you have to have done the course
    the tri-monthly test i assume can be done by a competent person, in this case an electrician

I have the IS 3217 and it states that anybody doing it has to have done the course. In most instances though someone from a company will do the course and is then tasked with training their own staff in how to do the testing properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

superg wrote: »
    I have the IS 3217 and it states that anybody doing it has to have done the course. In most instances though someone from a company will do the test and is then tasked with training their own staff in how to do the testing properly.[/QUOT

so they are deeming the person competent to carry out the half hour test?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

My understanding is that you have to have completed the course to do the test, its a level 6 course and it may be the case that during some other 3rd level course that this is covered. However its not covered in a standards based apprenticeship.

I don't know of any alternative to doing the course, I know electricians, maintenance people and engineers who have completed the course, so I don't know who would be exempt, maybe people are efficiently educated or maybe its written in the standards in case its added to some building service or maintenance curriculum afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

gctest50 wrote: »
    Makes the beta-light ones look good

no batteries

no wiring

no bulb

just works for 20 years

http://www.betalight.nl/html/index.php?page_id=193

Looks good, can you get them in Ireland? The no wiring bit is interesting very handy but IMHO this would not classify as an internally illuminated sign, so its viewing distance is very much reduced, however that's not usually maxed but you'd have to have an emergency lighting source capable of supplying light for 3 hours withing 2M of this sign IMHO to satisfy the standards.

However that can often be the case now anyway. In small exit route lobbies the exit fitting can double as the second emergency light, so its rules out there IMHO, but on long corridors with more than one emergency fitting and a fitting within 2M of the door/exit sign it would work.

I'm unaware of an un-cabled self illuminated sign that was capable of operating for 3 hours with a sufficient level of "light" on the surface of the sign to satisfy EU regulations, they are great for the first few minutes before they fade. I think they can be used in the USA, certainly I'd say they are desirable as a supplement here, but they don't list EU compliance for general emergency lighting or for exit signage (light at the surface of the sign)

I like it for clean rooms, and the fact that it is IP65. I also like it for mounting directly on a glass wall or something like that, it would be easier to use than some sort of suspended blade, but in all these cases you'd need to light it independently with a 3 hour self contained or central battery supplied fitting, unless i've missed something in the specs online.

I'd also like to know the cost, get find, thank you.

I'm going to look into what a unit "Lambert" is now. :)

superg wrote: »
    I have the IS 3217 and it states that anybody doing it has to have done the course. In most instances though someone from a company will do the course and is then tasked with training their own staff in how to do the testing properly.

so they are deeming the person competent to carry out the half hour test?

No the NSAI aren't deeming them competent unless they've done the course but in my experience in house training by someone who has done the course is what goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Stoner wrote: »

I'm going to look into what a unit "Lambert" is now. :)

Probably named after this bloke :

http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Biographies/Lambert.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement