Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with neighbour over broken fence

Options
  • 13-12-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hi folks, looking for advice on issue with neighbour.

I own my house, neighbour is a renting.

Basically 4 weeks ago today part of the fence that separates our houses came off in the wind(although I don't recall it being windy at the time!) along with his side gate/door.

The fence ended up in his garden so I approached him the following day to ask what he wanted to do about, he said it was all grand and he would actually fix it himself within the next 2 days or so, I thought great and told him if he had to pay for anything to let me know as we are both responsible for it.

Anyway fast forward a further week and nothing was done so I asked him what was going on and if it was an issue with not having time or not being able to do it we should get a professional to do it, and he told me to relax it would be done following week, so I left it be.

Anyway fast forward further week and pretty much same conversation and I had said we can't let it go much longer and asked for him to give me the name and number of his landlord and I would deal with it, but he refused and told me it had nothing to do with landlord.

Today is now 4 weeks and I have had enough so I asked again and he made excuses of being busy with work which to be fair he is, as he is usually gone before I leave in morning and he finishes late in evening, but I told him I was going to look after it in coming days and get someone to fix it and he or landlord could pay for half(maybe not the right thing to say I know but just bit pissed off at this stage), he told me he wasn't paying for anything and I can do want I want and basically told me not to bother asking him anymore.

I don't really want to be paying for all this myself as it is the responsibility of both parties and I don't have a lot of money with Christmas here but to get it sorted I probably will, I guess I am more worried about the fact that my house is now exposed to any wannabe burgulars as his side door is also broken. I don't know where I stand legally on this but any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You should be dealing with the landlord only. It's nothing to do with the tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP why are you getting involved. Its not your house, even through you pay rent for it. You should be getting the landlord to fix it and pay for it. Why is it your responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

hfallada wrote: »
    OP why are you getting involved. Its not your house, even through you pay rent for it. You should be getting the landlord to fix it and pay for it. Why is it your responsibility?

The Op is the owner his adjoining neighbors are the renters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Not the business or responsibility of the tenant. Contact the landlord or fix it at your own cost

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Not the business or responsibility of the tenant. Contact the landlord or fix it at your own cost

I thought I would approach the tenant once more to give me the landlords contact details but was told where to go. Anyway I went and got it fixed myself this evening and tenant not a happy camper! Cheers for advice folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What has the tenant got to not be happy about? The fence is fixed, he doesn't have to worry about it nor apparently bother his landlord about it anymore (since he wouldn't give you the landlords details anyway ...). What was his reaction to seeing the fence repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Could it be possible that he was using your garden as a shortcut? I find it odd that the tenant didn't want the fence fixed, nor that the fence got fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

the_syco wrote: »
    Could it be possible that he was using your garden as a shortcut? I find it odd that the tenant didn't want the fence fixed, nor that the fence got fixed.

Maybe he just didnt have the money? Many dont at this time of year; with Christmas fast approaching, spending money mending a broken fence is going to be pretty low on a lot of peoples priority list, especially if money is tight to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

djimi wrote: »
    Maybe he just didnt have the money? Many dont at this time of year; with Christmas fast approaching, spending money mending a broken fence is going to be pretty low on a lot of peoples priority list, especially if money is tight to begin with.

Of course, he could have just said it'd take a while due to Christmas, etc. and any reasonable person would probably been understanding with that. But from what the OP has said, the tenant has just acted like a complete tool instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I would say he is not paying his rent or something like that.
    He seemed determined not to contact the landlord or let you contact him for no obvious reason and why would he say he wanted to take on some of the financial burden himself?.

I think it best not to have any more communication with tenant(that's probably gone now anyway) anymore and try and find out landlords name through a search and he might pony up half of if your lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

if it is just one of those lattice type fence panels .. they are a standard size can be picked up for about €20 and take all of two minutes to slot in ... if this is the case; just go ahead and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

whippet wrote: »
    if it is just one of those lattice type fence panels .. they are a standard size can be picked up for about €20 and take all of two minutes to slot in ... if this is the case; just go ahead and do it yourself.

Am not much of a DYI person but yeah was one of those ones you slot in, I got handyman in estate to do it but because I was going to give him bit work on couple other things in new year and he didnt charge me for it. I dont know why tenant was not helpful as I didnt expect him to pay anything, maybe there issue with landlord as he has not being a model tenant but that is for another thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Am not much of a DYI person but yeah was one of those ones you slot in, I got handyman in estate to do it but because I was going to give him bit work on couple other things in new year and he didnt charge me for it. I dont know why tenant was not helpful as I didnt expect him to pay anything, maybe there issue with landlord as he has not being a model tenant but that is for another thread!!

at least it is resolved .. with crap neighbours sometimes you just have to suck-it up and look after yourself.

Advertisement