Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Medical for recruitment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Padraigog wrote: »
    On what grounds would a young man in his 20's fail his medical though?

Doesn't matter what age you are, some people are born with medical problems

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

thekopend wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what age you are, some people are born with medical problems

The criteria is based on the fact that they will require candidates to get through training without having to take any sick leave . Once you get to attestation you can get sick all you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Padraigog wrote: »
    On what grounds would a young man in his 20's fail his medical though?

Plenty of things from hearing, sight, teeth, blood ect.. Loads of problems you could have without knowing it.

Raider190 wrote: »
    The criteria is based on the fact that they will require candidates to get through training without having to take any sick leave . Once you get to attestation you can get sick all you want

never knew that.. suppose it makes sense..

Well being medically suitable to carry out your job has a lot to do with it too, they don't want some one who is just out sick all the time and costing money.

Well being medically suitable to carry out your job has a lot to do with it too, they don't want some one who is just out sick all the time and costing money.

Agree but like all stressful jobs it does bring its problems health wise . At the end of the day it's a gamble but in starting they are trying to get as many through the training stages without sick leave and get them started on their career path.

Agree but like all stressful jobs it does bring its problems health wise . At the end of the day it's a gamble but in starting they are trying to get as many through the training stages without sick leave and get them started on their career path.

I'd say all the 'anti-social' hours they work really takes it's toll on the body. I mean leaving work and going to bed at 6 in the morning must be a strange experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

carzony wrote: »
    I'd say all the 'anti-social' hours they work really takes it's toll on the body. I mean leaving work and going to bed at 6 in the morning must be a strange experience.

In my old job I used to start at 01:30 and finish at 11am, Sunday night to Friday night, week in, week out. Not too bad

billie1b wrote: »
    In my old job I used to start at 01:30 and finish at 11am, Sunday night to Friday night, week in, week out. Not too bad

Mix it up with different shifts and it won't be long shagging you up

• Advertisement

The toll can be significant suppose that why there is retirement at 30 years service . If your 20 at joining you could be retired at 50 still young enough to start another career.

The shifts now end at 7 not 6 . So 10 hours per working day is hard but with 6 days on and 4 days off ( providing your not in court on your days off) it does work well

Mix it up with different shifts and it won't be long shagging you up

The secret is to get 8 hours sleep before each shift and then catch up on the days off. You do adjust but it is tough no doubt about it . Hard if you have a family and difficult to have a social life with friends who are not in the job. Hence the reason Gardai marry nurses or other shift workers

How many hours a week on average would gardai work? Attending court on days off must be a pain. Especially for minor things like non producers. I wouldn't mind marrying a few of those nurses btw :p

How many hours a week on average would gardai work? Attending court on days off must be a pain. Especially for minor things like non producers. I wouldn't mind marrying a few of those nurses btw :p

They can work a full 60 hours over the six day period excluding overtime should it be required

They can work a full 60 hours over the six day period excluding overtime should it be required

I'd love that though. Give me a chance to get stuck in..

I'd love that though. Give me a chance to get stuck in..

Novelty won't be long wearing off, after awhile I think it will go from 'love it' to 'it's grand' for a lot of people

• Advertisement

Novelty won't be long wearing off, after awhile I think it will go from 'love it' to 'it's grand' for a lot of people

It's not for everyone but for some of us the boring 9 to 5 was never an option

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭StevieF3

Lads and ladies, genuine question although it is probably ridiculous, do you think being bow legged would have any affect on your medical?

It won't help it anyway. I can see them being strict on every stage because they can afford to, whereas they couldn't in other campaigns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Jumping the gun here but I'd advise people to lay off cheap earphones a few months before the medical. Nurse in HQ (reserve medical) told me that my left ear was slightly weaker than right due to cheap earphones causing slight damage to ear drum...

This is very good advice. It would surprise you the number that actually fail the medical because of hearing and the use of earphones is a big contributor. A borderline case might get through by avoiding the use of earphones for a few months.

Also if you are close to the height limit get the medical as early in the day as possible and spend as much time beforehand lying on a hard surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    This is very good advice. It would surprise you the number that actually fail the medical because of hearing and the use of earphones is a big contributor. A borderline case might get through by avoiding the use of earphones for a few months.

Also if you are close to the height limit get the medical as early in the day as possible and spend as much time beforehand lying on a hard surface.

God above...... The height restriction is gone with years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

I'd only be worried if your teeth looked very bad and were rotting in your head.. I would consider my hearing to be OK but when I hop into that booth I mess up. Its like I can hear the sound but cant specify which ear its going into, hopefully if I do get to a medical Ill get them syringed. The syringing must be done a couple of weeks before the hearing test my doctor told me.

thestar wrote: »
    I'd only be worried if your teeth looked very bad and were rotting in your head.. I would consider my hearing to be OK but when I hop into that booth I mess up. Its like I can hear the sound but cant specify which ear its going into, hopefully if I do get to a medical Ill get them syringed. The syringing must be done a couple of weeks before the hearing test my doctor told me.

Good advice there also try not to use earphones from now until the medical. That was the advice I received from the CMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

mycro89 wrote: »
    God above...... The height restriction is gone with years...

In theory. The PCT AND PFT won't cover everything. I haven,t noticed a big increase in dwarfs joining up allright though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

The old roster was more robust on the body then the new one i feel

the week of nights was tough to get through with one full days rest inbetween

the notorious change over was a killer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

...........shift and then catch up on the days off.
    Hence the reason Gardai marry nurses or other shift workers

Yeah, because that's the reason

D Trent wrote: »

Didn't you know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

D Trent wrote: »

It sure does help Dtrent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

WilcoOut wrote: »
    The old roster was more robust on the body then the new one i feel

the week of nights was tough to get through with one full days rest inbetween

the notorious change over was a killer

What is the new roster as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 piercemc08

I'm into band 1 stage 3 but I'm concerned il fail the medial as I had a mastoid operation on my right ear as a child and have moderate hearing loss in that ear. It's never effected me in any aspect of my life but just concerned that il get that far and fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

piercemc08 wrote: »
    I'm into band 1 stage 3 but I'm concerned il fail the medial as I had a mastoid operation on my right ear as a child and have moderate hearing loss in that ear. It's never effected me in any aspect of my life but just concerned that il get that far and fail.

Best thing to do, is go get an ear test and find out your hearing proficiency level! H1 is the best and I am pretty sure that's what they look for. (Could be wrong)

But go take a test, it's better to know now. you might be able to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 carrig4life

do we have to pee in a cup in front of someone, I get severe stagefright....

Surely we'll be left into a bathroom?

genuine question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

genuine question

Ya they send you into a bathroom carraig,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

genuine question

They will probably insist on the door being left open though incase you attempt to tamper with the sample etc. That is my experience of doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

redout wrote: »
    They will probably insist on the door being left open though incase you attempt to tamper with the sample etc. That is my experience of doing them.

Awh really ?

They don't. Off ye go and go for your widdle..no one looks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Awh really ?

They don't. Off ye go and go for your widdle..no one looks :)

I don't mean that they actually sit there looking at you. Any time I have done them (and that would be a lot) the door stays unlocked and ajar. It is used as a deterrent. Most people who fail is down to drugs i.e. marijuana, cocaine in their system. These are the sorts who would chance their arm and conceal a sample in a small container etc.

redout wrote: »
    I don't mean that they actually sit there looking at you. Any time I have done them (and that would be a lot) the door stays unlocked and ajar. It is used as a deterrent. Most people who fail is down to drugs i.e. marijuana, cocaine in their system. These are the sorts who would chance their arm and conceal a sample in a small container etc.
    The door wasn't open when I did mine anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

ann.lewis wrote: »
    The door wasn't open when I did mine anyhow

Maybe we just appeared very trustworthy that day ann :) But on a serious note, no they don't leave the door open. They give you a jar and send you in to do your business and then you hand them the sample and that's about it.

Maybe we just appeared very trustworthy that day ann :) But on a serious note, no they don't leave the door open. They give you a jar and send you in to do your business and then you hand them the sample and that's about it.

That's true Girl.. we appeared very trustworthy ;)
    Yip, it's pretty straight forward enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

The toll can be significant suppose that why there is retirement at 30 years service . If your 20 at joining you could be retired at 50 still young enough to start another career.

The shifts now end at 7 not 6 . So 10 hours per working day is hard but with 6 days on and 4 days off ( providing your not in court on your days off) it does work well

Minimum retirement age is 55 now for entrants past 2004.

Hitchroun wrote: »
    Minimum retirement age is 55 now for entrants past 2004.

Is this the retirement age for the newer contracts . Are the older contracts 50 years of age

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

Is this the retirement age for the newer contracts . Are the older contracts 50 years of age

Any contract PRE 2004 is retirement age 50, POST 2004 is retirement age 55.

Each with min 30 years for full pension

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

How did soon to be recuits find the medical? Were doctor strict on BMI and was there much checked on the dental side of things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

kev-bt wrote: »
    How did soon to be recuits find the medical? Were doctor strict on BMI and was there much checked on the dental side of things?

if you are slightly over the BMI, they took a hip and waist measurement to make sure your waist is not bigger than your hips.

Dental was a quick look in the mouth to make sure you have no serious problems.

Overall it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 boolya68

hi just quick question. with the dental I have a small hole in the tooth at the back of the mouth, it causes no problem to me at all and in last check-up my dentist said there was no need to extract it as it is causing no problem. medical is in a few days, just wondering if anyone knows if this will be ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

boolya68 wrote: »
    hi just quick question. with the dental I have a small hole in the tooth at the back of the mouth, it causes no problem to me at all and in last check-up my dentist said there was no need to extract it as it is causing no problem. medical is in a few days, just wondering if anyone knows if this will be ok thanks

I had a similar situation with a molar at the back and got it extracted as a precaution but the doctor didn't even spend 3 seconds looking in my mouth during my medical

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

Does anyone know if varicose veins are a problem for the medical, I saw it mentioned that they may be a reason to fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 therecruit

Any know if you fail on weight are you out or do you get a chance to drop it and then come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 therecruit

Hi Guys,

Had my medical today and passed (well was deferred pending a letter from my GP so not worried). Its grand was worried about BMI as it was just over 30 but still passed. Id say slow your breathing for the hearing test as some of the sounds are quite low.

The rest was more or less the same as any GP would normally check. The only other advise id give is that they are still getting through a lot of people so ake sure your phone is charged as it can be a long wait.

There was a reserve working in the medical building, didnt realise reserves worked in HQ.

• Advertisement
Advertisement