Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 Draft

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Eagles are in the market for a SS, a DT and perhaps a FS.

Foles is up on the Trade Block for anyone interested. Was 7-9 last season, but not sure what pick I have tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

I am 16 players short on a full squad.

I have 16 mill room in my salary cap. I presume once I divide that among my FA pick ups then I should be able to draft 7 players... I will make the 53 players and avoid any problems with my salary cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Raoul wrote: »
    I am 16 players short on a full squad.

I have 16 mill room in my salary cap. I presume once I divide that among my FA pick ups then I should be able to draft 7 players... I will make the 53 players and avoid any problems with my salary cap.

I think we already have a rookie reserve. So our current cap room is solely for free agents. EA doesn't trust us to sign free agents and maintain enough for the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, all teams have a Rookie reserve. Mine was between 5 and 6m, I believe. Are most people's the same, or does it vary?

empacher wrote: »
    I think we already have a rookie reserve. So our current cap room is solely for free agents. EA doesn't trust us to sign free agents and maintain enough for the draft.

They are probably right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah, all teams have a Rookie reserve. Mine was between 5 and 6m, I believe. Are most people's the same, or does it vary?

Mine is less then 5, its 4.75 i think.

Your rookie reserve reflects the amount of picks you have at each number

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Everyone happy?

I got my starting centre with my first rounder which was a huge need as I lost De Le Puente to FA (Ravens) and had no one in that position. He's an 82 OVR and will progress quite quickly.

Second rounder was traded to Perrin for Tyler Bray who is now my starting QB due to Brees' retirement.

Third rounder was one I struck gold with when scouting. I was in desperate need of a FS so decided to scout all available FS's. Ended up finding a 78 OVR rated FS who is good enough to slot in as a starter and should be 85+ by season three. He was listed as a 5th or 6th rounder in the game so I thought might have been able to get him later on but I wasn't taking a chance on a second round standard player falling that far. Pudsy revealed he would have taken him one pick later so it was a good choice.

Fourth round I went for WR Mason Teller. All speed and agility statistics are A's and I think he will complement my other receivers nicely, giving Bray another weapon and being a nightmare for opposition special teams on returns.

Fifth, sixth and seventh rounds were just all depth really. I took a centre, free safety (I needed two of each for roster purposes) and running back.

Overall, I'm delighted. If you include Bray as a second rounder I've got three, quite possibly four starters including a top returner and capable depth. All positions of need sorted with a bit extra. I was disappointed as I missed out a bit on free agency as I was away until stage 4, but this makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm relatively happy too, considering I had no first rounder myself. Traded up to the end of round one to take an 80 rated left guard which fills a hole nicely. In the second round I took Robb Angle, a 6"5' receiver who I'd had my eye on. After having played a practice with him, I'm absolutely delighted! The man catches everything thrown his way. It's a pity I missed out on Vincent, as he would have been a steal. Got a decent punter too and a decent backup mlb.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Almost completely forgot about the draft,just got on as the 1st round was starting.

1st round: Didn't want anyone so traded to Redskins
    2nd round via Saints: LE Martzoff OVR 73
    didn't really anyone but took a player anyway,his power,finese and block shedding are 83+ but his strenght and speed are 82 and below,poor enough pick,4-3 scheme.
    2nd round via Patriots: DT Brian Rectstenier OVR 54
    Didn't want anyone again,should have traded away,poor pick again,4-3 scheme :(,although at least his strenght and speed are above 80 and power is 91....still though
    3rd round: LT Ronald Dangerfield OVR 84
    Then it appears my draft started working in reverse order
    pass block 90,run block 83,imbact 81 and strenght of 99! pure animal....pity I dont really need a LT
    4th:no pick
    5th: LE Herve Diaz OVR 73 strength of 88 his main attribute
    6th:RE Josh Sorano OVR 75 strength,speed and block shedding 84+,not bad for the 6th round

Poor draft although from the 3rd round on I was happy

• Advertisement

Terrible draft for me, players i wanted went before it was my pick, wanted a pass rushing LE and managed to pick 1 up rated 81, got a nice QB to rated 71, after that is was blind luck and my luck was definitely out.

I was looking for a speedy TE, when I scouted this guy although a protected fourth rounder I knew instantly he was worth my first round pick.

1st - Reed Curtis spd 85, agility 90, acc 90, Cth 88, cit 80, spc c, 87
    Pretty decent trucking, strength, juke e.t.c

2nd iffy Adantor mc 77, zc 83, pr 74, press 84, spd 92, acc 98, only bad thing is his agility at 78. But if he gets 3 in the gets 10,000xp. Which will go a long way in polishing his stats.

3rd and 4th round were both DT not ready to be starters yet, but their huge size will make them animals next year.

5th and 6th were OLB, one of which will be cut.

7th was a fb, just to fill that spot.

I'm hoping mt defense will tighten up a little, and that my offense will be explosive from any position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ravens were pretty set heading into the draft.

Had extensively scouted CB's and wanted some linemen and a TE. Largely accomplished.
    Don't have a lot of cap room so traded down and loaded up with picks

1st Algerenon Sharpe CB 77
    Man 81 zone 89. He was the 3rd CB ranked on madden but I took him second. Super young CB, played the Cards in preaseason just now and he a pick 6 and led the team in tackles. I think he'll develop a lot quickly

2nd Onaje Olugobode RT 83
    Michael Oher is on the franchise tag and will hit FA next offseason, time for a replacement. He will be my starting LG to begin the season

3rd Denard Miller TE 69
    6' 7" he can pass and block. Will only be my 3rd stringer and unlikely to see the field much. Ravens don't have much cap space and need young cheap backups. Scored 2 TDs against the Cards in preseason

4th Blaine Kornegay LE 74
    The guy was good value and will be 3rd on the depth chart. Defensive Ends rotate a lot so he'll see snaps on long drives

5th Kasheem Lovell HB 58
    Wanted a cheap young HB, the guy is a scrub and will likely be cut

5th Ronnell Brantley CB 68
    Similar overall rating as some of my 3rd year players so he will make team as he's cheap and good depth

6th Rocco Harpole QB 70
    3rd string QB, he's like Flacco as he is 6' 6" with a powerful arm. I may cut my backup Tyrod Taylor and promote Harpole, not decided yet

6th Brice Huddleston SS 68
    Could have made the team only I signed Mike Mitchell 83 in FA after the draft so there is no roster spot free here at SS

7th Rannell Reymond MLB 50
    Play a 3-4 and wanted a cheap young backup. Took a shot and this guy is a scrub in the fifties. To be cut

7th Garrett Nono P 70
    Cut my vet punter who cost me 2.8 million in cap last season and got in a cheap punter. Had my eye on a punter for the late fifth but he was taken

I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Well it didn't go too well for me. I've had 11 players drop overall with three increasing. My FB went up along with Rodgers and A.J. hawk.

1st rnd, Ty Beard MLB 75. Filled a need, 88 hit power, 80speed, 79 awareness not too bad a pick for 21st.

2nd. Doran Redmond SS 68 again went for position need but didn't hit on this guy. 80 zone, 81 speed, 76 catch....huge catch upgrade but his cover skills aren't good, may be dropped before the season starts.

3rd Paul Scott RT 76, again had a 80+ player leave on a free so filled a need, good pass block 84, poor run blk 66, will be a part-timer on this run first team.

4th traded my forth for a centre from the ravens, three point drop to 70.

5th. Picked the best on the board, Lynn Boateng LE 69, hit power 87 is about it.

6th. Arryn Lett TE 57, no good. May be playing WR's at TE this season.

7th Ronquillo QB, 69. Had no backup to Rodgers on the books so took along the last remaining QB in the draft and he's the new Brady. THP 85, s74,m69,d77, speed 76, elu 77. Scored a passing and rushing TD in his first preseason game.

Enjoyed the craic during the draft but missed out on a few players I really wanted, Colts nabbed my number one pick LE Bostic who doesn't rate that highly on their roster but I'd take him off their hands in a flash. TE Curtis Reed looks a superstar. And robb angle. How did QB Dexter Bohannon turn out?

I couldn't make the draft and it looks like I drafted a load of crap, not even one starter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Raoul wrote: »
    I couldn't make the draft and it looks like I drafted a load of crap, not even one starter.

I made it and still picked up awful players!

1st round - Shariff Patterson ROLB 71 OVR and will compete with Ayers for the starting job

2nd round Thedford Reedy TE 67 OVR, good speed and decent catching will see some action i'd imagine

2nd Round Richard Morley LG 60 OVR cover for my 2 guards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

An interesting draft for the Jets who traded away their 4/5/6/7 round picks for a better 4th rounder as the roster was pretty full after resignings.

After cutting Sanchez and his big salary, this left Geno as the only QB so I heavily scouted the QB's intending to pick up two. Also scouted DT's but they were virtually all 4-3 and the four 3-4's I scouted did not show up as great. Also scouted TE heavily.

R1 QB Clifford Merchant Ovr 78. If I did not have Geno he could start straight away
    R2 TE Rashaun Milsap Ovr 69. The #1 TE I wanted to pick went before me in R1 so I picked a QB in 1 and left TE to R2. He will be #2
    R3 QB Billy Perez Ovr 76 but he is also really good , could also start straight away
    R3 DT Anton Claspy Ovr 70 will be #2
    R4 RE Soma Shead Ovr 70, fourth choice DE but will be #2 RE

Only disappointing aspect was the failure to distract Adrian enough to cause him to miss a pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭guns4all

"Foxboro head coach fires doofus put in charge of 2014 draft."

After coming home from a tiring game of football, head coach Mr Coach Klein checked out his inbox to see what had been drafted in his absence.
    The take was abysmal.
    2 defensive ends taken with his 1st and 3rd pick (no.2 when to the SB champs earlier in the season)
    What were they thinking? After he had spent money united the Jones Boys they go out and get 2 80's rated DE to compete!!
    The rest of the draft was spent on crap that will probably be cut in the next couple of weeks.
    Included was a HB rated 62, a TE rated 56, a MLB rated 54 and a f**king punter rated 68!!
    (Yes i know, punters are people too! But i had a rookie last year and had developed him, sure he has a lower OVR but better KPW and KAC).

So in summary the dumbass CPU drafted 6 players for areas that didnt need strengthening and completely neglected to address the lack of replacements for an aging DT and a 'probably gonna retire at the end of the season' Tom Brady.

Roll on the season!!

I was actually laughing at the defensive ends popping up for you. The computer really made a balls of the draft for a few people!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Worth setting your draft board if you're not around for the draft and get a chance to do so lads. At least the computer will make a somewhat decent attempt at it then.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Worth setting your draft board if you're not around for the draft and get a chance to do so lads. At least the computer will make a somewhat decent attempt at it then.

You can do that??:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

guns4all wrote: »
    You can do that??:mad::mad::mad:

How did you did you not know this!!!

I even had a draft board set, didnt do me any good, but i still had it set :-(

How did you did you not know this!!!

Cos im an idiot!!!

Please enlighten me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Amidst all of the problems with the EA servers and Xbox live I still did kind of alright with the CPU picking 5 of my seven picks.

1.11 - Rafael Abreu - CB - I swear I didn't pick him just because he was the only player in the draft from a military academy :D Woo go Air Force Falcons!
    2.11 - Cesar Calvin - HB. Backs weren't featured in my draft plan but I guess the CPU decided I needed one. He has the catch in bounds and the high motor traits. He has a 97 speed rating with some good blocking skills so he will be sharing snaps with David Wilson at halfback and/or kick return.
    3.11 - Zac Argo - FS - Will be a starter because he is my only FS. Good job Kiddo you made the cut.
    4.11 - Johnaton Griffin - WR: This guy will catch the ball?
    5.11 - Larez Johns - LOLB: This guy will cover the middle of the field and/or the TE whenever my other LOLB gets tired.
    6.11 - Exil Nobles - CB: This guys name is Exil. Exil is a funny name.
    7.11 - Jarrell Erion - LG - Sorry dude, you're cut.

You took both Griffin and Nobles out of my hands. Griffin is a decent player, and I wanted Exil Nobles purely to have Exil Nobles on my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Who got Bill Champagne?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

madalig12 wrote: »
    Who got Bill Champagne?:)

Vikings in the 4th round.

Advertisement