Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moisturiser for dry skin?

• 14-12-2013 12:12am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I normally use Clinique moisturiser and it's been fine for years, but recently I've started sailing, and can only blame that for rough dry patches on my face as it's the only change I can think of.

I've been using Elizabeth Arden at night to help ease it, but looking for recommendations, and thinking of the No7 set next week which includes the protect and perfect moisturisers

I'm over 35 which its recommended for, and wondering if anyone has used it and found it good?

Thanks

Edit: Should have said I have very sensitive skin, allergic to Garnier, Lancome, Dermalogica, and Astral. Have not had reactions from L'Oreal, Clinique (select products) Estee Lauder, Chanel or Elizabeth Arden

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Dermalogica do a barrier type, way too tired to even try think of the name but it protects against the elements especially for those outdoorsy type people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Try absolue from Lancome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I swear by Nivea Creme (in the navy pot) or Astral.

Both cheap as chips and have been around donkey's years. My grandmother used Astral since she was 13 and she had flawlessly smooth skin right into her seventies.
    My mother also uses Astral and has amazing skin.
    I use Astral but sometimes I use Nivea.

They're both night-time only creams, though, as they're so thick.

For daytime, I love Johnson's 24 hour Essentials Day Cream; a really light silky cream that absorbs quickly and leaves your skin super soft.
    It also acts as a great base for makeup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Oooh that nivea one in the navy pot is brilliant! I got it a few months ago on a whim and I wake up all glowy after using it! I usually splash out on skincare but this is the best night cream I've used and its so cheap

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dermalogica do a barrier type, way too tired to even try think of the name but it protects against the elements especially for those outdoorsy type people.

I'm allergic to Dermalogica, tried it twice, both times the beauticians who saw the reaction were amazed, as apparently no one is allergic to Dermalogica (I react within minutes if I'm allergic to skincare, skin goes red, flares up and starts to swell)
    JillyQ wrote: »
    Try absolue from Lancome

Allergic
    fussyonion wrote: »
    I swear by Nivea Creme (in the navy pot) or Astral.

Both cheap as chips and have been around donkey's years. My grandmother used Astral since she was 13 and she had flawlessly smooth skin right into her seventies.
    My mother also uses Astral and has amazing skin.
    I use Astral but sometimes I use Nivea.

They're both night-time only creams, though, as they're so thick.

For daytime, I love Johnson's 24 hour Essentials Day Cream; a really light silky cream that absorbs quickly and leaves your skin super soft.
    It also acts as a great base for makeup.

Allergic to Astral and Johnsons too, haven't tried the Nivea at night.

Thanks for taking the time everyone :)

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm allergic to Dermalogica, tried it twice, both times the beauticians who saw the reaction were amazed, as apparently no one is allergic to Dermalogica (I react within minutes if I'm allergic to skincare, skin goes red, flares up and starts to swell)

Allergic

Allergic to Astral and Johnsons too, haven't tried the Nivea at night.

Thanks for taking the time everyone :)[/QUOT

Have you tried Dr. Hauschka? I'm lucky even though i have extremely sensitive skin the absolue doesn't seem to affect me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JillyQ wrote: »

Have you tried Dr. Hauschka? I'm lucky even though i have extremely sensitive skin the absolue doesn't seem to affect me.

If those are of the famed rose cream, then yes, violently allergic

So, erm, you're allergic to all creams? How do you know this?

Not sure but here is a link to the website

http://drhauschka.com/

fussyonion wrote: »
    So, erm, you're allergic to all creams? How do you know this?

If I react to one which has been touted as very hypoallergenic I just leave that range aside, I tried three different Dr. Hauska creams and had three unhappy weeks with facial swelling and people asking if I'd been burned

Same with Yonka, I'd a facial once there and had a bad reaction, I'm allergic even to aloe vera so yes I am very wary.

• Advertisement

If I react to one which has been touted as very hypoallergenic I just leave that range aside, I tried three different Dr. Hauska creams and had three unhappy weeks with facial swelling and people asking if I'd been burned

Same with Yonka, I'd a facial once there and had a bad reaction, I'm allergic even to aloe vera so yes I am very wary.

Oh God love you, that's awful..is there a particular ingredient you're allergic to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If your skin is so sensitive then I'm afraid there is no way anyone can safely recommend products for you, as if you're reacting to the most hypoallergenic products you are obviously going to have a hard time finding a good one.

What are you using at the moment? Probably stick with that, combine with an SPF when you're outside, and make sure to use regular hydrating masks once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Yeah I'd strongly recommend finding out the exact ingredient it is you're allergic to and buy based on that rather than through trial and error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Ever use coco butter? I have very dry skin that doesn't react well to certain types of moisturiser but I've been using palmers coco butter for about a year now and find it create, it soaks in well and smells nice.

Also used to use clarins moisturiser it comes in like a glass tub with a blue lid for about 45 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

http://www.boots.ie/en/La-Roche-Posay-Cicaplast-Baume-B5-Soothing-Repairing-Balm-100ml_1287417/

I have very dry sensitive skin and I find this moisturiser fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Given the allergies, I'd stick to very basic creams like Aqueaous (sp?) cream or the Aveeno oat one.

http://www.boots.ie/en/La-Roche-Posay-Cicaplast-Baume-B5-Soothing-Repairing-Balm-100ml_1287417/

I have very dry sensitive skin and I find this moisturiser fab.

I'd forgotten la Roche Posay! Never reacted to any of their products yet

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

Would you consider just using a barrier while sailing and then sticking to your usual one as normal afterwards?

You can get a big tub of aqueous cream/moisturiser in any chemist which is used on infants with eczema so it shouldn't irritate you. Just slap a load on before you punt out. It should work, and it'll only cost you a couple of euro to find out :)

It's also a great moisturiser if used sparingly and works well as a hot cloth cleanser to remove makeup.

It's not very high-tech, but sometimes the simplest things work the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Netty2

Yea would definitely recommend La Roche Posay. I too have extremely sensitive skin and these products are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Netty2

Yea would definitely recommend La Roche Posay. I too have extremely sensitive skin and these products are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Candie wrote: »
    Would you consider just using a barrier while sailing and then sticking to your usual one as normal afterwards?

You can get a big tub of aqueous cream/moisturiser in any chemist which is used on infants with eczema so it shouldn't irritate you. Just slap a load on before you punt out. It should work, and it'll only cost you a couple of euro to find out :)

It's also a great moisturiser if used sparingly and works well as a hot cloth cleanser to remove makeup.

This is a good idea too. II'd go with Emulsfying ointment or Hydromol (personal fav). My son has inherited my skin and attends the excema clinic in Crumlin and they don't recommended aqueous cream any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Almond oil....can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Candy_Girl wrote: »

Do you mix it with something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Do you mix it with something?

Nope, just cleanse your skin well and rub some almond oil into your hands to heat it up and massage into your skin. If you feel there's too much you can wet a face cloth in warm water, squeeze it out and lightly rub around the skin in circular movements ...this will also remove dead skin cells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

i've very sensitive skin too. You mention beign allergic to dr h and tonka so I wonder if you might be allergic to some of the fragrance or to some essential oils otr something? It really is trial and error and knowign what to avoid. i am allergic to nivea / simple / dove / vichy / byphasse to name a few!

I spend a good bit of time outdoors. I use indeed labs hydraluron under creams as a preventer as it helps your skin to have more moisture and avoids it drying out. Then make sure you wear an spf whenever you will be outside even in winter I have an ambre solairs bB cream with it in the garnier bb cream also has spf in it. Dermalogica barrier repair is fantastic for soothing dry / weather beaten /irritated skin. 8 hour cream is great for dry lips.

dermalogica salons will usually skin map you (often for free, it was in my local place anyway) and will often give samples so it could be worth getting samples to check for allergy before committing to buying products

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

I would highly recommend flp sonya skincare range - its all aloe vera based so its ideal for very sensative skin. The serum is amazing and only a fraction of the cost per 100ml v's B@@t.
    It helps aid in your skin’s ability to regenerate itself.
    Aloe vera creates a protective layer on your skin, protecting and sealing in the natural anti-biotic and healing qualities.
    Drop me a PM and I can give you more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

E45. It's not fancy or fashionable but oh my God, it's amazing. Also, you could try Elave or Aveno.

Good luck.
    I'd forgotten la Roche Posay! Never reacted to any of their products yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Agree with the La Roche Posay recommendations. I love Toleraine and Toleraine Riche. Best for dry patches. Unscented and not crazily expensive.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »

Ah i use emulsifying ointment all the time :) But dislike the great big greasy face it gives me :) Vanity eh :)
    This is a good idea too. II'd go with Emulsfying ointment or Hydromol (personal fav). My son has inherited my skin and attends the excema clinic in Crumlin and they don't recommended aqueous cream any more

As above I use emulsifying ointment a huge amount, and love it, not as a daily moisturiser though :)
    Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Definitely going to try this :) I cook with coconut oil and have noticed a difference since I switched to it :)
    i've very sensitive skin too. You mention beign allergic to dr h and tonka so I wonder if you might be allergic to some of the fragrance or to some essential oils otr something? It really is trial and error and knowign what to avoid. i am allergic to nivea / simple / dove / vichy / byphasse to name a few!

I spend a good bit of time outdoors. I use indeed labs hydraluron under creams as a preventer as it helps your skin to have more moisture and avoids it drying out. Then make sure you wear an spf whenever you will be outside even in winter I have an ambre solairs bB cream with it in the garnier bb cream also has spf in it. Dermalogica barrier repair is fantastic for soothing dry / weather beaten /irritated skin. 8 hour cream is great for dry lips.

dermalogica salons will usually skin map you (often for free, it was in my local place anyway) and will often give samples so it could be worth getting samples to check for allergy before committing to buying products

I've been allergic to three dermalogica creams and so avoid it now, but thanks for your other suggestions
    aisling86 wrote: »
    I would highly recommend flp sonya skincare range - its all aloe vera based so its ideal for very sensative skin. The serum is amazing and only a fraction of the cost per 100ml v's B@@t.
    It helps aid in your skin’s ability to regenerate itself.
    Aloe vera creates a protective layer on your skin, protecting and sealing in the natural anti-biotic and healing qualities.
    Drop me a PM and I can give you more details.

Did you read my replies? I'm severely allergic to aloe vera
    Pippy1976 wrote: »
    E45. It's not fancy or fashionable but oh my God, it's amazing. Also, you could try Elave or Aveno.

Good luck.

I use E45, and Aveno, but not on my face as I find them inadequate.

However thanks to posts on here, I found the La Roche Posay Cicaplast has gotten rid of my sandpaper skin over the last few days, and am sincerely appreciative.

I also got samples from no.7 and am not allergic to their products that I tried so looking forward to trying more :)

Thanks to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

Did you read my replies? I'm severely allergic to aloe vera

Gosh Thats a pity your part of a very small %! Best to stick to what you use now so rather than trying for fear of a flare up so soon to Christmas! Hope you find something subitble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm using the E45 intensive lotion at night on dry areas of my face. I generally get very dry skin everywhere. It's great but only use it on the dry patches or you may get a break out. But that's the same with any moisturiser really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I normally use Clinique moisturiser and it's been fine for years, but recently I've started sailing, and can only blame that for rough dry patches on my face as it's the only change I can think of.

I've been using Elizabeth Arden at night to help ease it, but looking for recommendations, and thinking of the No7 set next week which includes the protect and perfect moisturisers

I'm over 35 which its recommended for, and wondering if anyone has used it and found it good?

Thanks

Edit: Should have said I have very sensitive skin, allergic to Garnier, Lancome, Dermalogica, and Astral. Have not had reactions from L'Oreal, Clinique (select products) Estee Lauder, Chanel or Elizabeth Arden

Vichy Nutrilogie 2 is great for clearing up very dry patches.

Oilatum natural repair face cream is a great moisturiser for dry skin too although it might be a bit much for every day.

Clarins skin beauty repair concentrate is brilliant too, it's expensive at around €50 for 15ml but it lasts for ages. You can usually get 3ml sample bottles for free at the counters though. It can be used as an emergency treatment when you need something to calm your skin or just every so often as you want a pick me up. http://www.clarinsusa.com/Gentle-Care-Skin-Beauty-Repair-Concentrate/C010403003,en_US,pd.html

Definitely going to try this :) I cook with coconut oil and have noticed a difference since I switched to it :)

You could try coconut oil on your face, some people swear by it, I use coconut oil for almost everything and love it but it just doesn't do much for the skin on my face unfortunately, I didn't like almond oil either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

I love aldi lacura moisturiser, it's evwnimprpved my acne. Plus 2 euro a pot it's fab value.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

I love aldi lacura moisturiser, it's evwnimprpved my acne. Plus 2 euro a pot it's fab value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Paybel

Have you tried Oilatum Natural Repair face cream?
    Oilatum Natural Repair Face Cream is an innovative new therapy specially formulated to intensively nourish and help repair your skins natural barrier. Oilatum Natural Face Cream is suitable for dry and sensitive skin and is free from fragrances, preservatives and emulsifiers.
    (From the boots.ie website)

oilatum-natural-repair-face-cream.jpg

I personally use it and I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RedNails

Hi Op. I have the exact same problem as you - allergic to absolutely bloomin everything! For years now I have ONLY been able to use E45 on my face. The downside is that E45 is really clogging on the pores.

I have tried Olay, Garnier, Johnson's, Aveeno, Aqueous Skin BP, La Roche Posay, Clinique, Dermalogica, Roc. You name it. Immediate, painful red reaction to them all. I'm even allergic to Silcock's base. BTW, Garnier is the absolute worst for me. Completely awful reaction that needed steroid treatment. I have also tried Coconut oil and Almond oil. Allergic. Aloe Vera? Allergic! I've never tried Nivea or Astral so these might be great.

In the last few weeks, my mother recommended Kiehl's skin products. She suffers the same problems as me. There's a shop on Wicklow Street and in Arnotts and Dundrum. They actually asked questions about my skin and wouldn't sell me anything until I had taken samples home to try. You can even return products if you react.

So far, absolutely no reaction and my skin hasn't looked as good since I was in my 20's. (I'm 34)

I can't tell you this will work for you, but I have spent over 10 years trying to find something I'm not allergic to, and had always hoped someone would recommend something to me! Anyway... Sorry for the really long post. I hope that you find a solution that works for you. No one who doesn't suffer sensitivity can possibly understand the wasted money and disappointment!!!

Advertisement