Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help With Night Vision & DVR Recorder

Options
  • 14-12-2013 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Hello folks.

I'm testing out a Bresser 5x50 night-vision scope connected to a JXD990 mp4 recorder with AV-out, but The problem I'm having is that the stars and planets look like some kind of inversion is causing this problem, but not sure.

When focused in on the stars I can clearly see that there is a black middle to these stars and the same with the planet Jupiter, even the moon is a solid black with a corona of light around it...video below of problem.

Can any-one explain to me why the bright stars and the planets show up black from the middle, as I have gone through all the settings in the JXD990 but to no avail of fixing this problem. I first though it was a pal - ntsc problem but I changed to pal and still the same. Looking directly through the night-vision scope, Everything is good, but I just cannot figure out the problem on the External recorder.

Thanks for any help forwarded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

It's a night vision scope, not a telescope. You shouldn't be looking at bright objects with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

2 stroke wrote: »
    It's a night vision scope, not a telescope. You shouldn't be looking at bright objects with it.

Emm, the whole point was to capture shooting stars and this would be ideal to capture a few. My question was related to why some bright stars and planets have a black inner view because many years ago I never had this problem with a night-vision scope as all bright stars and planets showed as good bright solid objects. This is a test one i'm playing around with and just need some advice as to why this problem is occurring of which I am having.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Ok, maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but my only experience of sky watching with night vision was similar to your video.

2 stroke wrote: »
    Ok, maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but my only experience of sky watching with night vision was similar to your video.

Look, I'm only asking for help with this problem, and to find out why this problem I'm having is occurring. If you can help let me know, if not I'll wait for someone that can. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

It almost seems as if your recorder is underexposing in an odd fashion, do you have any exposure compensation/ exposure settings?

just for measure

• Advertisement

slade_x wrote: »
    It almost seems as if your recorder is underexposing in an odd fashion, do you have any exposure compensation/ exposure settings?

just for measure

I have no access to any of these...(exposure compensation/ exposure settings) there is just a standard resolution and a full resolution for the TV-in on the camera recorder.

Very nice vid there. Well the night-vision scope is perfect while looking through the eye-piece, and the gain is good, no problems.

I have this night-vision scope on a tripod and it has an AV out of which I input into the DVR camera, and after a few further tests it seems that the camera recorder cannot manage the brightness of these star objects.

Strange, I've tried every setting I can think of but as I said, the night-vision is perfect but once I connect it to the AV connector on the night-vision to the video cam it just shows up as a big black blotch in the middle of stars and especially planets with proper focus.

I might try a firmware update for the video camera if there is one.

After lots of trials and errors, I have come to the conclusion that the JDX 990 DVR recorder is faulty because of the dark blotch in the middle of planets and stars. But a better way is connecting the night-vision to the TV :D, but it has no record function doing it this way :(.

Time to build a very long AV cable to go 20ft from the back garden to the pc, with a motorised mount and joypad to scan the sky. If anyone else reading this is thinking of purchasing a JXD 990 for night-vision sky watching, don't, it's a good possibility that you could end up with the same problem I have. And they only sell from Hong Kong.

Connect the night-vision to the pc and use software to capture record, there's a few different software programs you can use so look for the best online.

That's Jupiter and one of it's moons on the below video. It's not easy recording from two different video devices at the same time, but looks a lot better than the recording.. The moon is washing out the sky.

Advertisement