Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitor advice

Options
  • 14-12-2013 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hey guys, looking to get a new monitor (maybe 2) for my video editing needs.

Firstly I have know idea what specs make a monitor good or bad for video work and secondly I'm looking for suggestions.

Budget would be about 500ish and i wouldnt be looking much bigger than 23 inch

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Video editing, is not like photoshop, the resolution of video wouldn't be more more than HD, which is 1920 x 1080.

Most monitors do that resolution,

The most expensive 23 inch monitor shouldn't reach 500 euros. the most expensive monitors out there are the Apple Display's. this is because they have higher resolution like 1920 x 1440 or 1920 x 1600.

I do a lot of video editing (On my Windows PC) and I find the Dell Ultra sharp a very good range of monitors, this is because there are built with AdobeRBG (colours) in mind, so if your using a video editing software like adobe after effects, what you see is what you get.

One monitor I think which is best for Video editing work which is on my Xmas list is Dell U2913wm 29 Ultra Wide Ips Monitor

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414974,00.asp

This reduces the extra power plug, the extra signal cable, and possible the extra Graffix Card.

when Video editing, extra horizontal screen width is important to see the Timeline bar at the bottom.

My two Cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I wouldn't assume all monitors do full HD. That would be the first thing I'd check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vector_Video_Standards4.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

W0LFMAN wrote: »
    Video editing, is not like photoshop, the resolution of video wouldn't be more more than HD, which is 1920 x 1080.

Most monitors do that resolution,

The most expensive 23 inch monitor shouldn't reach 500 euros. the most expensive monitors out there are the Apple Display's. this is because they have higher resolution like 1920 x 1440 or 1920 x 1600.

I do a lot of video editing (On my Windows PC) and I find the Dell Ultra sharp a very good range of monitors, this is because there are built with AdobeRBG (colours) in mind, so if your using a video editing software like adobe after effects, what you see is what you get.

One monitor I think which is best for Video editing work which is on my Xmas list is Dell U2913wm 29 Ultra Wide Ips Monitor

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414974,00.asp

This reduces the extra power plug, the extra signal cable, and possible the extra Graffix Card.

when Video editing, extra horizontal screen width is important to see the Timeline bar at the bottom.

My two Cents.

thanks for the recommendation on the Dell Ultra Wide, i had been looking at the Asus PA range but 2 of those would be costing me just under 700 quid so the Dell could be a good alternative...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

gaza4 wrote: »
    thanks for the recommendation on the Dell Ultra Wide, i had been looking at the Asus PA range but 2 of those would be costing me just under 700 quid so the Dell could be a good alternative...

NO Problem, if you need help with abit of video editing give me a shout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement