Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec alarm going off even when unset

Options
  • 14-12-2013 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

Our Astec alarm has started going off randomly even when it is not on. There is no error displayed on the panel while it is going off so we can't even turn it off when it starts. Does anyone have an idea about what the problem could be.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is it ringing inside, outside or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

Only outside

It dials my mobile if it is set. But either way there is nothing coming up on the control panel so there is no way to even turn it off. It goes off itself after a while

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sounds like a bad connection or a fault with the external bell.
    Best bet is to power the system down for now.
    Locate the main control panel & remove the mains fuse at the top right.
    The orange neon light will go off. Now turn the 2 plastic screws to vertical and pull the top lid off towards you. (The alarm will sound at this stage, ignore it for a minute)
    To the very right ,just above the last terminal connection there is a small black plastic link marked battery. Pinch this with your finger & thumb & pull away from the board. The internal bell will now stop and the keypad will be blank.
    If the outside bell is sounding it will run down within 20 minutes & will not activate again.

Had it checked and the guy said it was due to a bad battery because of power cuts in the area over last while. He replaced it sunday morning and it was fine all day and we set it last night. Now it is going off every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes. It also says "battery" on the control panel now. Is there any way to check exactly what the problem is?

When you disarm the system after an alarm it should display what activated it. If it's giving that much bother you should power it down like I described above.

• Advertisement

Problem is I can't disarm there is no error on the control panel except the battery warning. There are no errors in the memory. So the bell is just going all the time now. I'm afraid to do the power down in case it kicks off the alarm internally.. Have the guy coming back in an hour or so to have another look

When you say the main fuse do you mean the one on the alarm control box or on main fuse box? Warnings on alarm box talk warn about mains voltage so it makes me a bit wary. Any danger I will set it off internally too and just make things worse?

It's the external bell that's the problem so.
    If you disconnect that everything else should be OK.

Advertisement