Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing alterations in Dublin - recommendations

Options
  • 14-12-2013 5:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering could anyone recommend a good, keenly-priced place in Dublin for clothing alternations? (though obviously I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest place, I'll pay for quality) Specifically for dresses, but I wouldn't mind some recommendations for any kind of alterations too, it'd be good to know some names. I'm living in Ringsend and am car-less so I guess nowhere too far out.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I've had a coat and a dress taken in at The Zip Yard, South Anne's Street. A great job was done on both and neither job was a straight forward one. Can't remember the cost of the coat, but the dress cost me €35. Now, I went in at 4pm and asked for it to be ready by 1pm the next day, so not sure if they charged an express rate.

Might seem expensive, but can't fault the quality of their work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Thanks! Yeah, they seem to be one of the big 'uns in Dublin. What kind of dress alterations did you get, can I ask? I'd be looking to get a few dresses taken in.

Well the dress just didn't sit right one me, so she alterered the bust and then took it in from the waist down.

This is the dress here:

http://www.asos.com//Asos/Asos-Shift-Dress-With-Pleated-Drape/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2641445

The cape falls over one shoulder and then is attached down the other side of the dress, so I'd imagine it wasn't just a run of the mill, take in at each side job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Well the dress just didn't sit right one me, so she alterered the bust and then took it in from the waist down.

This is the dress here:

http://www.asos.com//Asos/Asos-Shift-Dress-With-Pleated-Drape/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2641445

The cape falls over one shoulder and then is attached down the other side of the dress, so I'd imagine it wasn't just a run of the mill, take in at each side job.

I suppose 35 was pricey enough, but worth it rather than having a dress sitting in the wardrobe doing nothing! Lovely dress. I think for taking in, it's more straight forward, depending on the dress. So might be a wee bit cheaper.

Yeah, I'd say they might have different price ranges depending on the job.

Actually, just remembered that my boyfriend brought a pair of trousers in to another alterations place pretty much across the road from the Zip Yard (the place above La Cave restaurant) and when he brought them home they were up swinging around his ankles! They cut off the excess material so they couldn't undo it.

Luckily they were a brand new pair and still in the shop so they reimbursed him to go and buy another pair. Needless to say he didn't go back there again to get the new pair altered!

• Advertisement
Advertisement