Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the brink of getting a dog.

• 14-12-2013 8:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Have been thinking of getting a dog for a while and have talked myself out of it a few times. I live in the suburbs and have an enclosed garden. I know quite a lot about dogs as I have had them years ago when I lived in the country. I am just a bit nervous about the commitment required. I am going to see a three year old dog , the people say they have a new baby and haven't the time to give to him. I go away for the occasional weekend but could probably drop him to a friend at this time. Lots of people say that Christmas is not a good time , however I will be free and home quite a bit at this time and feel it would help him to settle.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Do NOT get a dog unless you are 100% sure you are ready for one and will commit to one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I am aware of the commitment required and I would never allow a dog to be not treated well. I suppose it's just am a little nervous that it may not work out. In fairness I don't think one can ever be 100 per cent sure of everything. There are times you just have to give it a go and give it your best:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

shawnee wrote: »
    I am aware of the commitment required and I would never allow a dog to be not treated well. I suppose it's just am a little nervous that it may not work out. In fairness I don't think one can ever be 100 per cent sure of everything. There are times you just have to give it a go and give it your best:confused:
    As long as you're sure you want it enough that the novelty doesn't wear off it. Not telling you your business but if anyone said they were on the fence about something there's no harm waiting til they were 100% sure is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Have been thinking of getting a dog for a while and have talked myself out of it a few times. I live in the suburbs and have an enclosed garden. I know quite a lot about dogs as I have had them years ago when I lived in the country. I am just a bit nervous about the commitment required. I am going to see a three year old dog , the people say they have a new baby and haven't the time to give to him. I go away for the occasional weekend but could probably drop him to a friend at this time. Lots of people say that Christmas is not a good time , however I will be free and home quite a bit at this time and feel it would help him to settle.:confused:

As above in Bold, don't bother, as you have doubts. Do not get a dog unless you are 100% willing to put said 100% into the up-bringing of the dog. If you have doubts, leave it out until you know for sure you can manage a new dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

OP you are looking at a 10+ year commitment ….. unless you are 90% certain your life won't change drastically in the next 5+years (boyfriend/girlfriend/marriage/move house etc) ….. then please don't do it to the dog.

We've had our dog for the past 3yrs and often can't take a short city break because our family members live in another county and we won't put her in kennels….were supposed to goto edingurgh for hogmaney (flights accommodation all paid for …and dog minder cancelled …so at the moment were looking at cancelling or asking family to take care of her for the few days)

none of the neighbours are dog people…so they are out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP could you maybe foster and see how you get on? eg http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057103200/2/#post87981168

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Think of going out to you back garden EVERY day to pick up ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

I go away for the occasional weekend but could probably drop him to a friend at this time.

Thought that too when I got my first dog - friend went out for a few drinks and herself refused to go into the kennel and sat out in the wind and rain howling! No more weekends away at the drop of a hat either dogs come too or you arrange and allow extra expense for kennels. Changes your life - like having a child but a child you can leave home alone for a few hours.
    Would not have it any other way.
    You need to be committed as you will be the most important person in his life.
    Takes a few weeks for you to get to know each other but the love they give makes it all worth while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you're 100% certain you want to have a dog, you will know.
    having an enclosed garden and an knowledge of them is not enough.

the commitment to excercise them every da. Do not leave him/her in the enclosed garden while you're out so that s/he starts barking and annoying neighbours.

be willing to give the dog plenty of your time and company.
    also, are you sure that the reason the dog you mention is kosher? why do people with small children also get dogs if they can't commit/train them properly.

good luck with your decision.
    dogs are fab:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

As I have seen over and over, every Christmas, the parent's give in to the child and end up getting the kid a little fluffy furry dog of which can look like a play-thing to a very young child.
    But a few months later the dog is a lot bigger, and the realisation of this will forward a spark inside the brain of said owner of dog, moaning that they cannot look after this dog and feed it as it's costing money and getting too big, and also needs walks (lazy) ...

Only a Fecking Idiot uneducated person would fit this above description.

Technology has come a long way. Purchase a toy robot dog instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

OP, I think it's totally normal to be apprehensive about making such a big commitment and it shows awareness of what is involved. Best of luck with your decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ricochet_Chloe

If you think your ready, go for it.
    If you are nervous, that will go away.
    yeah, a lot of people say christmas is the worst time, and make sure if there is fireworks or any loud noises that the dog may not be used to in its new enviorment, make sure to make him feel safe. The dog is moving from his family that he knows very well, to a new enviorment, new house, new dogs and new owner. It seems a bit overwhelming for the dog. But he will get used to it all - socailize him, bring him around the neibourhood and let him get to know the place, do this every day. Ask the current owners what they feed him, what he likes to play with ect. You will need a dog license also.

as you are getting a 3yr old dog, it will probably save you from all the 'puppy mess'
    buy a crate for your new companion, dogs love being in their own area once you train them how to use it. I suggest Googling 'how to train a dog to use a crate'

The first time you bring him home, spend every minute with him.
    DO NOT feed him from the table. My brother did this to his dog and guess what? Jumped up on the table, Christmas turkey gone..

Dogs are one of the best things in life, I think you should go for it as long as you know what to do :)

Best of look OP and have a great Christmas :)

If you think your ready, go for it.
    If you are nervous, that will go away.
    yeah, a lot of people say christmas is the worst time, and make sure if there is fireworks or any loud noises that the dog may not be used to in its new enviorment, make sure to make him feel safe. The dog is moving from his family that he knows very well, to a new enviorment, new house, new dogs and new owner. It seems a bit overwhelming for the dog. But he will get used to it all - socailize him, bring him around the neibourhood and let him get to know the place, do this every day. Ask the current owners what they feed him, what he likes to play with ect. You will need a dog license also.

as you are getting a 3yr old dog, it will probably save you from all the 'puppy mess'
    buy a crate for your new companion, dogs love being in their own area once you train them how to use it. I suggest Googling 'how to train a dog to use a crate'

The first time you bring him home, spend every minute with him.
    DO NOT feed him from the table. My brother did this to his dog and guess what? Jumped up on the table, Christmas turkey gone..

Dogs are one of the best things in life, I think you should go for it as long as you know what to do :)

Best of look OP and have a great Christmas :)

Thanks for the advice, I am not a novice to this and am not getting the dog for a child , I do realise I will have sole responsibility. Just thinking out loud I suppose and I am certain the dog will have a good home. Just thinking of what to do with her when I decide to go away for a weekend or a day. Am going to have a chat with a neighbour to see if they would drop in and feed her and have a chat with her. Also will check on a relative who has many dogs and may be able to accomodate an extra one when I'm away. Thanks for your advice and interest.:cool:

sadie06 wrote: »
    OP, I think it's totally normal to be apprehensive about making such a big commitment and it shows awareness of what is involved. Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks , I think that sums up where I am at. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

why don't you adopt a dog from an animal charity and see how you get on? you do seem like you really would take care of the dog, my concern is would you have the time, like not out 9 to 5 , 5 days a weeks leaving the dog on its own all day you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

why don't you adopt a dog from an animal charity and see how you get on? you do seem like you really would take care of the dog, my concern is would you have the time, like not out 9 to 5 , 5 days a weeks leaving the dog on its own all day you know?

So your saying that you shouldn't have a dog if your out of the house 9-5 ..5 days a week?

Every one should quit their jobs so.go on the dole so we can have dogs :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's normal to be nervous before making such a big commitment. All I can say is to think hard about how much of a constraint they are; there's no having a few pints after work and if you do go out there'll be no staying out late because you'll have to be home to walk/feed them. There will likely be hair everywhere. When the weather is cold, wet and miserable you'll still have to go out walking for an hour. A dog is the same kind of commitment as a child, except that you can bring a child into shops, on public transport, and people won't insist that you can't bring your child to visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

sawfish wrote: »
    So your saying that you shouldn't have a dog if your out of the house 9-5 ..5 days a week?

Every one should quit their jobs so.go on the dole so we can have dogs :p

yes if the dog is on its own all day...would you like to be left all on your own 9 to 5 , 5 days a week? and then again a few hours in the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

OP you're giving this plenty of thought and that's a good thing. Regarding getting away for weekends you should research local kennels - I'd never have got a short break without having a trusted kennels to leave my dogs in over the years. Mine are kennelled about 4 times a year and they love going there and treat it like a second home - the price can be more reasonable that you think and it's great for peace of mind.

Also there's little to stop you bringing dog with you on short breaks too as many self catering places allow at least one dog. Regards being out at work hopefully the dog will get used to your routine - once he gets plenty of me time, walks, play, food and love.

It's right that the committment worries you, it should - once you comitt to sharing your life with a dog it'll be him and you for a very long time. But don't let that put you off either because there's great joy in having them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

yes if the dog is on its own all day...would you like to be left all on your own 9 to 5 , 5 days a week? and then again a few hours in the weekend

Your being very unrealistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Jeez, it's natural to feel nervous about taking on a big commitment folks, give the OP a break! It doesn't mean they're not ready!

OP I adopted my first dog of my own (a puppy) when I was 26. Was I nervous about taking on such a big commitment? You betcha! But guess what? We had eleven beautiful years together before she passed. She was the centre of my life, my best friend and the best thing to ever happen to me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

At least the OP's giving the matter serious thought and not rushing into it as others might do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Completely agree with Boomerang and ABajanincork,so enough of the smart alec AND unhelpful replies. It is a massive commitment taking on an animal so it's completely understandable the OPs nervous about taking on the responsibility of a dog. It's a responsibility that could potentially last 15+ years, so give them a break and help the OP with their decision making.

If I see comments like below again (which have already been reported for being unhelpful) you can take a nice little break from the forum.
    zenno wrote: »

Only a Fecking Idiot uneducated person would fit this above description.

Technology has come a long way. Purchase a toy robot dog instead.

:rolleyes:

OP contact your local rescues. Most of them are always looking for fosterers, especially now coming up to Christmas. I'm hoping to get a foster dog next week fingers crossed for a few weeks.

I made the decision awhile ago that I can't have a dog fulltime just now, so I foster when I am on holidays and can commit the time to it.There's nobody stopping me getting a dog of my own, but I've thought it through and it wouldn't be fair on a dog when I'm out of the house 10hrs a day. I also realistically would struggle financially to pay for a dog walker on top of all my other bills.

So I foster instead and get my doggy fix that way aswell as hopefully making a difference in a dogs life...even if it's only for a few weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

AFAIK some rescues will not rehome a dog to people who are away from the house working all day.
    Depends on the dog - some are fine to be left sleeping with a tasty treat while others don't cope well at all. Greyhounds from what I hear sleep 22 hours a day and spend the rest of the time eating, running around the park and being adored!

Thanks for the info and no problem I am around long enough to take notice of the other comments. There is food for thought there and good honest feedback. Wouldn't mind the idea of fostering a dog but as far as I am aware they don't do it very much in this area. Haven't really a problem with the day to day stuff ,as I wouldn't be gone all day , just the weekend or occasional night away , so I will make enquiries about covering that angle . Thank again for the helpful posts , will keep you posted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Melissa30

jandm wrote: »
    AFAIK some rescues will not rehome a dog to people who are away from the house working all day.

In general that rule tends to relate to pups which is fair enough IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

OP many moons ago, well at least a few, a group of people who were interested in dog welfare and dog rescue - some of whom are on Boards - came up with the following to help people to decide whether or not a dog was them. In short people were ask to THINK:
    I hope it helps.

Time - how much of it can you spend with your dog?:
    Dogs should not be left on the own for more than five hours a day. Dogs left to their own devices become bored and often destructive. If you work, ask yourself what company will the dog have in your absence, when and where will you be able to exercise your dog. Remember most dogs, even small ones, require around one hour of exercise a day.

Home - are you and your family prepared to share it with a dog?
    A dog should be treated as part of the family. Therefore, it must be allowed into the house. A dog needs more than a back yard! People may think the children will play with in the garden but what child wants to play outside on a cold wet November evening. Having a dog in the house does create additional house work, hovering up hairs, cleaning paw marks, etc. Are you prepared for this?

Invest - in securing your garden.
    When you are not around your dog will probably be left in the back garden. Dogs require a secure premises to prevent them straying. Stray dogs are frequently injured and become a neighbourhood nuisance. A high fence and a secure gate or a dog pen will ensure that your dog stays safe. Secure the space before you bring a dog home.

Neuter - unless you intend to breed from or show your dog it is best to get your dog neutered. A neutered dog is less likely to stray and a neutered bitch won’t leave you with unwanted pups on your hands. Neutering can provide a number of health benefits for your dog. In addition, a dog should be vaccinated on a regular basis and micro-chipped. Mirco-chipping is a once off procedure and, once registered, will assist in reuniting your dog with you should it become lost. The cost of all the above procedures is about €350. Your vet will provide further advice on all of the above topics.

K9s - what kind of dog is right for you?
    There are hundred of different breeds of dogs not to mention cross breeds. Time spent on researching the right breed of dog for you is well spent. Don’t be tempted by a pair of the soft brown eyes of a Labrador pup if you are a couch potato. It will only end in heartbreak for both you and the pup! Try to match your lifestyle to a purpose a dog was bred for. Talk to people who have the breed of dog you are interested in. Most dog owners are only too willing to talk about their dogs. If possible “borrow” a dog for a night or two to see how well a dog fits into your life. Also consider adopting a rescue dog. People are often, understandably, reluctant to adopt a dog from a pound as its background is unknown. However, many animal charities foster dogs for a period of time before they offer them for adoption and will also provide back up advice and support.. This way you will not be getting an unknown quantity and can provide a deserving dog with its forever home.

(Note this is a draft of the final version)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That all very good advice.

I would add one word of caution... in terms of "fostering to see if it will work"... that sounds fine and its probably the best way forward in the end BUT if I had fostered Josh for like, 2 months, at the end of the first two months he'd have been handed back!! Now, Josh arrived home from the pound MENTAL. I mean, mental with a capital MENTAL. He tore the place up regularly, went bananas if I left the room and crashed into my life like a bomb. in a tornado. on *fire*.

I live on my own which means EVERYTHING he needs done for him, I have to do and I would say that if you live alone, have a long think about that. Every walk, every poo, every play will be with you. Now, the poo thing I got over very very quickly. Playing with him is fun... but the walks... wow, the walks STILL are a pain in the ***. And as the man says, winter is coming.

If its lashing rain, I can get away with one day of not walking Josh, we just spend the time indoors with a tug toy and some training and a run in the backyard between showers. But not two days, not if I want my sanity.

I thankfully havent been sick while I've had him because I honestly dont know what I will do then. Probably call on all of my mates for help but still... its a lot of responsibility if you cant share it with someone.

All I'm saying is that the first 2 months are absolutely the hardest before you reach a sort of "accomodation" between you and your dog. I'm glad I have Josh, but make no mistake about it, being single with a dog is tough work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

DeVore wrote: »
    That all very good advice.

I would add one word of caution... in terms of "fostering to see if it will work"... that sounds fine and its probably the best way forward in the end BUT if I had fostered Josh for like, 2 months, at the end of the first two months he'd have been handed back!! Now, Josh arrived home from the pound MENTAL. I mean, mental with a capital MENTAL. He tore the place up regularly, went bananas if I left the room and crashed into my life like a bomb. in a tornado. on *fire*.

I live on my own which means EVERYTHING he needs done for him, I have to do and I would say that if you live alone, have a long think about that. Every walk, every poo, every play will be with you. Now, the poo thing I got over very very quickly. Playing with him is fun... but the walks... wow, the walks STILL are a pain in the ***. And as the man says, winter is coming.

If its lashing rain, I can get away with one day of not walking Josh, we just spend the time indoors with a tug toy and some training and a run in the backyard between showers. But not two days, not if I want my sanity.

I thankfully havent been sick while I've had him because I honestly dont know what I will do then. Probably call on all of my mates for help but still... its a lot of responsibility if you cant share it with someone.

All I'm saying is that the first 2 months are absolutely the hardest before you reach a sort of "accomodation" between you and your dog. I'm glad I have Josh, but make no mistake about it, being single with a dog is tough work.

And just another clarification - pounds don't foster, you pay your fee, and that's it - good luck! If you had got Josh from a rescue - I doubt you would have got Josh! They may well have assessed him as highly active, needs more than his fair share of exercise, loves company etc, and as a person living alone, albeit working from home a lot, a good rescue may well have said he wasn't suitable for your current lifestyle and you could have ended up with a different dog entirely, perhaps an older dog who didn't need just as much activity and would be happy dozing at your feet while your trying to work. ;).

But absolutely yes, a dog living alone is a lot of work. A big commitment that only you alone can meet the needs for. Food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, thats true. After all my deliberations and checking and planning, in the end I made an emotional decision because Josh was up for destruction pretty much immediately. I met him in the pound and you know what he's like. He's irrefutably cute and well, mental. If I had known what I know now I might have got a poodle LOL...but it wouldnt be half as much fun.

OP, I live and work at home alone. Take today... Josh and I went for a walk during quite a busy period for me. Lots of work, lots of pressure. Josh doesnt care and found a big pile of goose-poo and well, rolled in it. Again and again and again. His fur was matted with it and he couldnt have been prouder of himself.

So, instead of a quiet walk and ball session, we had to spend another 45 minutes thoroughly washing him. I couldnt let him anywhere in the house, he stank disgustingly. So, work waited, my business partner waited, I had to work late etc etc.

I dont want to put you off, cos its the best thing I have done in the last 12 months but its a lot of commitment.

Advertisement