Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need all the Partitions?

Options
  • 14-12-2013 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all, I hope someone will be able to help me with the following issue.

I am in the process of downgrading my work laptop (giving it to a co-worker) from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 7 Professional. I have the required instaltion media and drivers from HP.

My question is regarding partitions. Curentally the laptop has the following 7 partitions:

Disk 0 Partiton 1: WinRT – OEM (Reserved)
    Disk 0 Partiton 2: System – System
    Disk 0 Partiton 3: – MSR (Reserved)
    Disk 0 Partiton 4: OS – (Primary)
    Disk 0 Partiton 5: – OEM (Reserved)
    Disk 0 Partiton 6: HP Recovery – OEM (Reserved)
    Disk 0 Partiton 7: HP Tools – OEM (Reserved)

What are all this partitions for and do I have a neeed for all them in W7? Should I delete / merge any of them? Also what would be the advantage / disadvantage of doing so.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

It would be best to make a set of recovery discs, I think with HP you have only one opportunity to so, this will provide the OS and software for the machine in the state that you got it first, a safeguard as such.

If you are putting on windows 7, you can then delete all partitions and proceed with the OS installation, though bear in mind that since your machine is Win 8, you will be more than likely need to Disable UEFI and Enable Legacy Boot before hand.

Also you should note the model and ensure that drivers are available for the devices on your machine by going to the manufacturers website, you might see that there is no drivers available only for Win 8 and some research online might help you with this.

And if your unsuccessful, you have the recovery disks to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

LEAVE the hp,and oem partitions,
    say they are 15 gig,drive is 300gig.
    the space is not significant,
    if you get a virus, using the hp recovery partitions you can reinstall win 8 in 10 minutes from the disk.
    i dont trust recovery disks,

they can fail after 1 or 2 years.just when you need em.install win 7 into the oem primary partition.
    download win7 wifi, and ethernet drivers from hp.com support,laptop model xx, eg model hp 470g
    before you start ,
    PUT em on a cdr or usb disk.
    when i install win 7 ,theres usually 1 or 2 drivers i have to download after installation .
    the oem, or winrt partitions are probably
    100meg approx each.

Advertisement