Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping Shelter Options

Options
  • 14-12-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Whether you're on a multi day trip, or if you just like to hike out to your camping spots, what is your preferred shelter options?

I've always been a tent guy and a the moment I will split up my Vango Banshee 300 (2.75kg) between myself and whoever I'm going camping with. It does the job quite well, never leaked and enough room for two comfortably. Not a lot of head room though and getting changed can be a bit of a wriggled. I've been considering a replacement for solo walking or where I can't share the load of Banshee.

The Luxe Sil-Mini has caught my eye, it's only 1.2kgs and uses a walking pole for it's support. Considering I use walking poles it's no more extra weight to carry. All the reviews of it and it's predecessor are good, and it will give me the space to book inside when the weather turns nasty.

So what do you guys use when out and about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I started with a Gelert Solo, its a coffin style tent and is light at about 1.4kg and cheap as chips, I used it all summer but made sure weather was stable and wanted to camp above the tree lines, I bought a tarp in the autumn as I use walking poles for hiking anyway, it was a good way to save weight and space and is nice to use in a forest area as plenty of options to hang it from branches.
    I havnt been out in any horrific weather but my main learning point was how to plan for having to get/pack up in the rain.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

silverharp wrote: »
    I started with a Gelert Solo, its a coffin style tent and is light at about 1.4kg and cheap as chips, I used it all summer but made sure weather was stable

Is there any issue with condensation in the Gelert?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Is there any issue with condensation in the Gelert?

during the summer no, it was fine, I have been using a tarp since but might take the Gelert out over xmas or in Jan. I'd imagine there would be condensation but have no reason to believe it would be overly "drippy" inside, the sleeping bag doesn't touch the sides. Its something I will watch out for, I'd be curious to know myself or which particular weather makes it more or less of an issue.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I suppose that condensation problems can be sorted by opening the zip a little anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'm using the same tent OP, I'm interested in trying out a tarp over the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

2.5KG is just too heavy for backpacking I find. It's grand for camping 100-200 metres from the car, but after 2 or 3 hours hiking I feel it's just too much.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/WF106.html

Have a look at the Sil Mini
    Weights: Tarp 710g, Nest 418g, Pegs 116g = Total 1244g

So if you wanted to just use the tarp you could get away with 850g. I have a D&D 4.5m x 3m tarp, which is great in the woods as a group cover, but it's just too big I find to use outside the tree line. I'd love suggestions on a decent smaller tarp for soloing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I use a Vaude Hogan Ultralight, 1835grs.
    P1010021-1_zps54b80349.jpg

2 man but still tight. Rarely have condensation problems probably as I don't cold weather camp, not yet anyway.
    A good big door/mesh combo which is left half open.
    Started using a Microfleece cloth in the morning for drying the fly. It works and is a good idea. Can virtually dry the tent in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

What's the Banshee 300 like for legroom (tall persons) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KarlBray74

I use the Banshee 200, it's snug but lengthwise I'm fine 5.11 it weighs circa 2kgs. The Banshee 300 is heavier....

I am looking at buying MLD Silnylon Trailstar....I found this guy on YouTube who has a range of these type of tarps and lightweight configurations...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc480j2jScI

Brian wrote: »

At this stage I think that it was the Banshee 200 that I tried. Wasn't enough legroom for me. You will see them on display in certain bricks and mortar shops so you can try before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Yeah, I had read that the 200 was a bit small so ordered the 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Has anyone here built their own teepee tent and/ or used a tent stove while wild camping. I have a tent that I have used, love it and won't change, however for wild camping it's a bit on the heavy side. I'm thinking a good big tarp and then using some fallen branches as the frame when camping again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Brian wrote: »

I find it's fine for legroom, only not so great for headroom. Mind you it's not bad, but on an inflated mat you'll fine your nose brushing against the inner tent at points. It's a good, reliable tent, I've had it out on numerous occasions and in various weather conditions.
    My complaints are that it's too heavy for solo backpacking, cramped for two up back packing and the vestibule is slightly too small to cook in.

Advertisement