Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air to water heatpump and underfloor

Options
  • 14-12-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Just got a quotation back today for an air to water heat pump and underfloor heating on ground floor only of a 1650 sq ft.

Heat pump 9975
    Underfloor 5275

How does this fair on current market prices. Is it value or can better be found?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Do you want to share the details and supplier of the model you priced.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Do you want to share the details and supplier of the model you priced.

Just the model detail please. This gives enough without sponsoring anyone. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BobMcBob

What is the Kw of the pump? Makes a difference to the prices
    The underfloor price seems a bit steep for the square foot compared to most of the quotes I have got. The number of zones and stats can alter the price

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭HoofRocks

Sorry for the delay folks, See below. I think I've removed all supplier info

r/Water heatpump for a 224sqM Dwelling
    - -AQ 11kW 1-Phase Air Source Heat Pump
    - Midi indoor Control system
    - Weather Compensator (for auto climate adjustment and system efficiency)
    - Built-In ‘A’ rated self regulating circulating pumps for improved efficiency & comfort
    - Remote access with PC or smartphone control
    - 180L rapid reheat HWC with advanced Hot Water Priority System
    - Variable fan speed settings for sound output (noise) and efficiency level improvement
    - Built-in stand with heated condensation drip tray (prevents freezing in Winter) €9,979.00

Underfloor Heating (154sqM GF / 70sqM FF)
    16x2mm Pert-Al-Pert Underfloor Piping system (GF only)
    stainless steel Manifolds inc. flow meters
    Under floor Clipping Track and pipe clips
    Thermal Actuator Heads 230V & Controller
    Room Thermostats (Zoning to be agreed) €5,275.00

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BobMcBob

Sounds about right for 220m2 house based on the quotes I got, sounds like a danfoss hp. Most quotes for the underfloor were similar to what you got.
    Am waiting to get heat requirement calcs before I decide which system to go for.
    I am beginning to get less concerned about the performance of the hp as long as it is half reasonable, the heat requirement should be low enough that actual performance is less important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Do you really need the "Remote access with PC or smartphone control"? Maybe you can downgrade this if it's not important. I thought thermostats and climate control mean you don't need to be monitoring it?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MENACE2010

same hear looks about right we completed a build this year and we have moved in. So far so good, bear in mind you need to "tweak" alot in the beginning after that you don't have to touch it. One recommendation , insulate insulate and insulate ..we have triple glazing, heat recovery and draft door at the front .. so far the investments are working out in the reasonable mild weather..

Today I have been told that this air to water pump is not energy efficient enough!!

Because our house is 'small' we must put solar panels on with the heat pump in order to pass energy efficiency even though they would not be needed at all!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

HoofRocks wrote: »
    Today I have been told that this air to water pump is not energy efficient enough!!

Because our house is 'small' we must put solar panels on with the heat pump in order to pass energy efficiency even though they would not be needed at all!
    have you considered pv with the heat pump

would you willing t give more details on the provisional BER and house

Hi Brian

Yes ber accessor mentioned pv panels

250 ml bead cavity
    Triple glaze
    Hrv
    2 air changes per hour
    Thermal bridging factor 0.05

BryanF wrote: »
    have you considered pv with the heat pump

would you willing t give more details on the provisional BER and house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Did you price for a borehole heatpump?

Did you price for a borehole heatpump?

No would that be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

An air to water heatpump uses the air temperature which varies, and therefore the lower the temperature, the greater the work required to heat the house. For every hour it needs to run at +8 degrees celsius, then it will need to run for longer at -5 degrees to produce the same output.

However a ground source heatpump, with a properly sized collector, is working off a consistent underground temperature regardless of the weather conditions. Therefore because ground temperature is constant, whether the outside temperature is +8 or -5, running for an hour will give the same output.

The main benefits of air to water are that it doesn't require any extra installation work. A ground source heatpump needs either boreholes or a horizontal collector. The horizontal collector needs to be 1m deep and could potentially be 20-30m long by 20-30m wide depending on the size of the heatpump. Boreholes/excavation do not come cheap and therefore the air to water is cheaper to install. A borehole installation is far tidier than an excavated horizontal collector.

We have had a mild winter this year, and I would assume the air to water not that expensive to run. However for the winter of 2010 it would be far more expensive to run.

Basically it is a case of pricing air to water vs borehole vs horizontal and deciding if you can make back the price difference over time

Advertisement