Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aware 10K Christmas Run 2013

Options
  • 14-12-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭

Ran this this morning. I had some reservations beforehand about the 2 lap format and was looking out for congestion on lap 2. I needn't have worried. I didn't notice any congestion. Hard to guess how many runners turned up, somewhere between 800 and 1200 I'd say.

This was imo an excellently organized charity race catering for all standards of runners, i.e. those chasing PBs and those who might not run again for another 12 months. Challenging course in very challenging conditions. Started on time, well measured, well marshalled and hopefully well timed.

I'd run it again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Thoughroughly enjoyed the run this morning despite the awful weather

Are the timings only available in the Independant on Monday? Presume it's some kind of deal with the charity if so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Are the timings only available in the Independant on Monday? Presume it's some kind of deal with the charity if so...

Yeah looks like the Indo will print them first on Monday. I guess later next week they'll be on Precision's site. The Indo are sponsoring the race so fair's fair. I'm in no hurry to get my time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Enjoyed it even though the conditions were dreadful. Coming up to Knockmaroon Gate on the second lap, thought I was getting through the last of the strong wind fairly well and then WOOOOF!!! nearly blown backwards! A little over 2 minutes slower than my PB, which was on the same course in May (ARC) but in vastly more favourable conditions :D Well done to all who turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

We'll done to everyone who done this this morning
    Did it myself and the wind was a bit fierce but well organised
    And thanks to my wife who stood in the cold and rain for an hour to support me
    :):)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Myself and my OH did this one also. Tough course and conditions but was delighted to knock over 2 mins off my time from last year. Not a 10k pb but a course pb. Enjoyed it despite the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

A very enjoyable run. It's a shame about the weather but it is the middle of December so you can't expect much more than what we got.
    It's a shame it wasn't drier because I wanted to take the kids to the zoo afterwards and use the useful 1/2 price discount.

I thought the water table could have been better positioned at the midway point but I didn't need a drink anyway.
    I got a 10k PB of 47.something. Looking forward to getting the full results on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

I was so close to a PB and in them conditions I'm very pleasures with that! Some wind at times and that climb out of the glen seems easier these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I want to see the results to see if I beat Leo Varadkar on chip time. His finish was announced just as I was heading towards the finish line but I started from the very back of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Did this race too. Really enjoyed it despite the miserable weather which just made it all the more memorable IMO. Resigned myself early on that a PB wasn't achievable so was happy to sneak in under 40.
    I had no plans to take on water but was surprised to see it where it was as it was difficult to spot due to the amount of people in that area. Other than that everything was flawless, great race. The wind on your back down Furze Road was great. I usually hate the finishes on that road as they always go on longer than I expect so it was a welcome change.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I have read elsewhere that Leo Varadkar had not the slightest interest in sport before he became the minister responsible for it. Glad to see him show up on the day and try to give an example when the easier option would have been to stay in bed.

Agree with the comments elsewhere. Race was well run and PBs were always going to be rare given the nature of the course and conditions on the day. I thought some of the KM markers were a bit off but overall course length was accurate and it was enjoyable once you got going.

I think Irish Fit took over the organisation of the race after Aware struggled with the management of it on their own due to lack of experience in the initial race. In the light of recent events, hopefully the vast bulk of the entry fees are going directly to a very worthy cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Had a heavy cold but did this one anyway. Cold slowed me down and wind nearly blew me over.
    Bed might have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Advertisement