Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to collect an order from an An Post depot without the green slip?

Options
  • 14-12-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I ordered an item online and it arrived last Thursday. Unfortunately no-one was at home to take the order, so it's in our local an post depot. The problem, however, is that we didn't get one of those little green slips from the postman to say that our order had been delivered/when it was delivered but that it was now in the depot. I only know because I tracked it from the An Post website. Is there any way that the order can be collected from the depot with another form of I.D. or proof of order? It's for Christmas so it's sort of urgent!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does the tracker say delivery was attempted?
    If not, it may not have made it to your house yet.
    I have collected a parcel from my delivery office with just a driver's licence - I had forgotten to bring the delivery slip with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It is possible.
    I got a green slip last week but lost it. My OH picked the package up from the local depot without it - they did get a bit stroppy 'though.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Just bring a recognised form of identification and there should be no problem. However, at this time of the year the office will be choc-a-bloc with parcels and packets, so lacking a notification docket might irk an already super-busy staff.

It's very unusual to hear that you've not received the docket in your letterbox. Doing so is an everyday practice for delivery personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I agree it is very odd not to get the one of the "sorry we missed you" dockets from the post man. Is it possible that they have not attempted to deliver it yet? Just because you saw it online as being tagged into the the depot, it may not have been dispatched for actual delivery yet. It may have arrived at the depot and been tagged in, AFTER your post man left on his rounds on Friday, so it's not scheduled for delivery until Monday. If you go in there on Monday to pick it up, it may not be there, as the post man out on his rounds has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I lost my one last year and they wouldn't give it, had to wait for the item to be resent back to original sender and then resent again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Did you present them with an official form of identification, such as a passport or driving licence?

Gravale wrote: »
    Did you present them with an official form of identification, such as a passport or driving licence?

I did yes, had all sorts of ID. His argument was that he couldn't find the parcel without the slip with the number on it or something

He could easily have, but he was probably just following orders not to give stuff out without the slip. Was a pain but end of the day , my own fault I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I would definitely ring the sorting office and ask before making the trip out there without the slip. I can imagine that whether or not you can collect a parcel without it will just depend on the mood of whoever is behind the counter..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Collected lots of items without the slip. Once you have I'd, but if you can give the date, time, tracking number etc I can't see why they wouldn't give it.

With the email notifications they use, you can pick up items without having to come home find a slip, and then go back out to collect it. Just make sure to bin the slip after collecting it to avoid going back looking for a parcel you already collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Can't see why not but I imagine they will require some photo ID like a drivers licence or passport and maybe bring a bill or something to prove that your address is what you say it is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

You'd be better off with the slip...ther's often a tracking number rather than just the address on the docket.

That was the reason the man in the sorting office couldn't help me. It was Xmas time and run off their feet and with no docket number , it was too time consuming to help.

I understood and at the end of the day, my own fault

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

thanks for all the help everyone, all is well! I got the parcel :)

Advertisement