Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Klair88 wrote: »
    Just seen TLOU is on PSN Store for €45! That's a great price, i'll be getting it there. Traded in the PS3 V. a bit too quickly and i regretted it so i know owning a digital version will suit me this time around. Can't wait!

Yeah, I saw that and promptly pre ordered :-) Much prefer to have digital copies of my games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Does TLOU on PS4 not support pre-load? I was under the impression it would start DL'in the day before and i could just play it the next day.

Destiny in September will be the first PS4 game to support pre-loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Xenji wrote: »
    Destiny in September will be the first PS4 game to support pre-loading.

Actually that Tranformers game, Rise of the Dark Spark, supported it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hi all, so I bought a PS4 yesterday, gave it a good go last night playing all the PS4 PS+ games I had built up since launch. Outlast, is pretty creepy cool, Strider was good too but a lot of Indie games that just dont show what the PS4 can offer, thats fine for me at the moment as have so much to play on my PS3/WiiU/3DS (and vita). First game I will get on disc is TLoU in August, loved that game. Should I D/L it or get on disc?

But wondering if people on here could give me some tips and tricks to do on the PS4, like how do I turn off that stupid light on the controller? Changing the colour of the OS background etc. Any other cool stuff I can do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

First game I will get on disc is TLoU in August, loved that game. Should I D/L it or get on disc?

Depends on whether you want to keep it or trade it in after a while.
    But wondering if people on here could give me some tips and tricks to do on the PS4, like how do I turn off that stupid light on the controller?

You can't turn it off, only dim it. Press and hold the PS button and then adjust devices.
    Changing the colour of the OS background etc. Any other cool stuff I can do?

Not sure if it can be done - can't find anything in the settings for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I imagine there'll be themes along the line. Something they can make money on anyway. It was a while before we got PS3 xmb themes IIRC. (Remember the first 3d animated detailed moving one, I think it came out for the Wipeout HD fury bundle? So cool..)

F1ngers wrote: »
    Depends on whether you want to keep it or trade it in after a while.

Hmm, I think I would like to hold onto it forever, its €45 to D/L right? I could just sell my ps3 version I guess.
    You can't turn it off, only dim it. Press and hold the PS button and then adjust devices.

Well thats a bit rubbish, the battery life isnt amazing on the controller, would be nice to even get an extra 10mins outta it if I could just turn the light off, bit of a bad idea from Sony there.
    Not sure if it can be done - can't find anything in the settings for it.

I'm sure some new setting will come along over time if there is nothing there at the moment to just change the colour like you can on the PS3. Early days anyway.

Thanks for your advice!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you can get the disc at a comparable price to the download, or cheaper as is often the case. I definitely would go with that. I know DLs are handy and all that, but the security and reliability of a disc to me far supersedes the benefits of a download, especially when the price is right. I'd say this is doubly true for harddrive hogging games like the Last of Us - obviously these days discs still hog space, but easier to manage without having to rely on 50GB downloads if you want to play again in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

The last of us will be a fairly big download, probably around the 50GB mark, so you might need to consider that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just got a beta key from SOE for Landmark, may see if it's time limited or if I can leave it for next weekend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hmm, I think I would like to hold onto it forever, its €45 to D/L right? I could just sell my ps3 version I guess.

Well thats a bit rubbish, the battery life isnt amazing on the controller, would be nice to even get an extra 10mins outta it if I could just turn the light off, bit of a bad idea from Sony there.

€45 it is.

Someone on here said the light is LED and uses feck all power.

If you can get the disc at a comparable price to the download, or cheaper as is often the case. I definitely would go with that. I know DLs are handy and all that, but the security and reliability of a disc to me far supersedes the benefits of a download, especially when the price is right. I'd say this is doubly true for harddrive hogging games like the Last of Us - obviously these days discs still hog space, but easier to manage without having to rely on 50GB downloads if you want to play again in future.

Not sure how you can put reliability down as a pro for a disc, one scratch and you're out same for losing it. While Dls have their own reliability issues if the service ever goes or you're own connection or PSN is down.

The disc now is only the install, so you don't save anything on the PS4 HDD. You will save time and bandwidth if you ever want to reinstall again, going forward this is going to be less of an issue.

Another bonus is no disc spin at start up and ever time you start a game, not to mention not having to swap discs.

LEDs use barely anything, I doubt you'd get another 10s out of it on average.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Varik wrote: »
    Not sure how you can put reliability down as a pro for a disc, one scratch and you're out same for losing it. While Dls have their own reliability issues if the service ever goes or you're own connection or PSN is down.

The only time disc scratching should be in anyway a concern is if you have small children or pets, and even then a bit of care will sort that out. Given the higher quality of BluRay surfaces, you'd need to almost go out of your way to scratch one. Of the hundreds if not thousands of film and game discs I've bought over the last two decades, I can count the amount of discs I've had scratching issues with on two fingers (one scratched Final Fantasy 8 disc after I lent it to a friend, and one DVD I bought abroad that I only realised was scratched when it was too late).

If, worst case scenario, PSN does cease to exist, then a disc will guarantee you can still play the game on your console, even if it is only an install contained within. That to me is more secure than a download. Disc swapping and spinning are such minor concerns I wouldn't even factor it in to be honest (except for maybe on Xbox 360, as mine sounds like a hairdryer when there's a disc in there, all other consoles are grand).

Not that I don't download games - of course I do, because of its many benefits (sales, ease, variety etc...). But when I can get a disc for the same price, I'll always go with that, at least for now.

Hmm, €45 for Download but could be 50GB in size, £38 from Amazon uk which is about €49, prob €69.99 from Gamestop Smyths etc :rolleyes:.

The more I look into getting TLoU:R, I think I'll just hold onto my PS3 version with DLC. Whats the point really.

Confirmed as 49.99 in Smyths anyway! Still have no interest in purchasing again (at least until its significantly cheaper somehow), but at least the sting is taken out of it a bit since it's not crazy expensive.

Varik wrote: »
    LEDs use barely anything, I doubt you'd get another 10s out of it on average.

Its more annoying than anything really.

I'm just guessing its there for fat Americans so they can see their foods stuff on the little table at night in front of them lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I'm just guessing its there for fat Americans so they can see their foods stuff on the little table at night in front of them lol.

Actually i believe it will be used for motion tracking via the PS camera on the new Morpheus VR headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I still genuinely don't understand how the lightbar annoys people.

Its main function is so that the Playstation Eye can easily pick up the controllers and different players. The Project Morpheus crew have said the possibility of virtual reality was a major factor in having it on all the time too.

And, might just be me, but I have to admit I think the light is a really slick touch and wouldn't turn it off even if the option is there. It's cleverly uterlised in games like Transistor. But then my TV is raised so it doesn't cause any issue anyway in terms of glow.

• Advertisement

Actually i believe it will be used for motion tracking via the PS camera on the new Morpheus VR headset.

Ah I know, was just a jk. :)

Maybe it's there for the equally fat Irish and European gamers who can't go two minutes without stuffing their faces.

It's there because Sony need it for when Project Morpheus, it's tracking for the VR and if I recall correctly it was one of the senior designer in SCEE who said that it was necessary for the VR to work. It pPS4 camera will use the light to aid the motion tracking on current titles which will then be carried over when the VR tech launches. The reason for the light changing colour is to help identify you during multiplayer gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

~50GB on an 8Mb connection, so I'm in for fun times!

At least you can download some of it and play while it downloads. I'll download the MP first as that has to be the smaller of the two.

The only time disc scratching should be in anyway a concern is if you have small children or pets, and even then a bit of care will sort that out. Given the higher quality of BluRay surfaces, you'd need to almost go out of your way to scratch one. Of the hundreds if not thousands of film and game discs I've bought over the last two decades, I can count the amount of discs I've had scratching issues with on two fingers (one scratched Final Fantasy 8 disc after I lent it to a friend, and one DVD I bought abroad that I only realised was scratched when it was too late).

If, worst case scenario, PSN does cease to exist, then a disc will guarantee you can still play the game on your console, even if it is only an install contained within. That to me is more secure than a download. Disc swapping and spinning are such minor concerns I wouldn't even factor it in to be honest (except for maybe on Xbox 360, as mine sounds like a hairdryer when there's a disc in there, all other consoles are grand).

Not that I don't download games - of course I do, because of its many benefits (sales, ease, variety etc...). But when I can get a disc for the same price, I'll always go with that, at least for now.

There were some PS2 games who only had their online services shut down this year, and some PS3/360 games who've been shut down ~2 years.

If PSN ever does go down fully, then it's right onto the console modding forum to ask some carefully worded questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

In case people here do not frequent the Games forum, I posted this in the DRIVECLUB thread.
    Otacon wrote: »
    The Scottish Car Show is taking place this Sunday at The Royal Highland Centre in Edinburgh. Like last year, the site I write for (Big Red Barrel) is hosting the video game portion of the event, called Faster Than Life.

Why is it relevant in this thread? Well, thanks to the people at PlayStation, DRIVECLUB will be available to play at the event.

If anyone is interested in going, details can be found here and ticket info can be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I very much like the LED light to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

If i get the disc version of the last of us will i have to install the 50gb to the HDD anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    If i get the disc version of the last of us will i have to install the 50gb to the HDD anyway?

Yeah it will. All PS4 games fully install on the HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Has the PS4 got external HDD support yet?
    That should be a priority if not. Be a shame not to make use of USB 3.0 so we all dont have to take the console apart to put in a bigger drive and also redownload/copy games,saves etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Get a light bar sticker to cut down on the glare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement