Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Maybe I've just got it in my head since there was maintenance yesterday but the PS4 feels more responsive with friends list and messages. Anyone else think that?

Also I mentioned it to a few I played TLOU with that when I sent or received a message it would always say sent 7 minutes ago. They all seemed to notice the same thing. I just realised the other day the time was 7 minutes off so if you go to automatically update it'll fix that minor issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

got madden today, very good. traded in watchdogs for it. must pick up ufc now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭The Friendly Newcomer

I have a friend who has a PS3 and he loves it but he is getting an Xbox One instead of a PS4 because he said the Playstation has been hacked already a few times. I was planning on getting a PS4 but now I'm not so sure. Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I have a friend who has a PS3 and he loves it but he is getting an Xbox One instead of a PS4 because he said the Playstation has been hacked already a few times. I was planning on getting a PS4 but now I'm not so sure. Any opinions?

That's just stupid. It hadn't been hacked.

It was hacked back in 2011. The other week it was attacked by a DDOS attack.

I genuinely don't know how secure the network is now but I would imagine they have done an awful lot to prevent data being stolen. A second hack would be absolutely devastating for Sony.

Anyway of all the reasons.. that wouldn't be one high on my list why to get one over the other. It mostly depends on what hackers want to do. If they want to break something.. they probably will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I had over 700 Euro taken from my credit card by fraudsters a few weeks ago and there was nothing I could have done about it. The bank covered it, issued new cards nd I changed some passwords. I would rather that then getting mugged and beaten at an ATM. Go with the console you prefer to play on and don't worry about hackers as if they really want to hack system they will find a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Absolutely, there is no way that the likes of Sony or Microsoft would allow customers be out of pocket due to hacking and fraud. Bad publicity.

Someone obtained my Xbox Live credentials a year ago and started buying FIFA points.

When I noticed the PayPal emails I contacted both PayPal and Microsoft. Very quick and professional responses by both and I had my money refunded within 20 minutes. They tracked the user, banned his console and were looking at criminal proceedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

It's about time they introduced paypal as a method of payment

I thought Paypal was a payment method with some time now?

hallo dare wrote: »
    It's about time they introduced paypal as a method of payment

It's been a method of payment for some time now.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how to transfer my OlliOlli save to the PS4 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

And you'd want to be careful using paypal on the ps store. Recently read about someone getting their account banned and losing access to everything they bought over some paypal screw up, and had to go through alot of hassle to get it back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I've noticed a couple of times this week that my PS4 gets hot/extremely loud when running. This happening to anyone else? Have it nearly a year but first time noticing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

vidor wrote: »
    I've noticed a couple of times this week that my PS4 gets hot/extremely loud when running. This happening to anyone else? Have it nearly a year but first time noticing this.

Is your console lying flat? Mine was standing up and I think some of the vents on the sides were covered up. The console was making a serious racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Lying flat :/ have it in the same position these last 9 months! Just don't know why it's beginning to act up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IhateScalpers

Lying flat :/ have it in the same position these last 9 months! Just don't know why it's beginning to act up now.

Mine is the same after playing for a couple of hours, but it just lasts a minute or 2.
    I'm assuming its OK, maybe just when it gets hot the fan needs to go quicker for a minute maybe?
    Hence the noise..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Mine used to get like that playing Killzone every other game was grand tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

What's everyone getting over the next few months?

Think my next purchase will be Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments, was going to grab it on PC but think it could be the perfect game for the cold evenings. Nice warm firm, big mug of tea and a few hours laid out on the couch playing one of my all time favorite fictional characters.

Also thinking of getting Bound By Flame, annoyed that I missed it when it was cheap a few weeks back and have been tempted by the PC version but it's the kind of game I'd like to play late at night beside the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ItsHoggie wrote: »

Just got the Metro Redux pack tonight for £25 delivered, it's gone back up in price now. Sweet deal.

Have Drive Club, The Evil Within, AC: Unity and Far Cry 4 all pre-ordered on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Havent played anything on PS4 in over the a month. Its pretty much a 400eu Netflix yoke right now. I am not saying Ps4 is bad, its just I got a **** storm in personal life.

The only thing that I might pick for Ps4 will be Destiny, but I am still on a massive fence over it. I was never a Halo fanboy. After that New Call of duty ( dont judge me, just this one looks like more like Black ops 2 and that one was one of the best cods ever ).

Most likely I will pick up a few older sale games on PC and WoW expansion. Then Bayonetta 2 on Wii U. This year is not really gaming focused for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

ItsHoggie wrote: »

Witcher 3, nice long wait ahead of me for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Im waiting on Metro to arrive, and then theres aliens, The evil within, drive club, project cars, new fifa, and GTAV remaster.. hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

sorry if this is a stupid question but the psn games I got on ps3, why can't I get these on my ps4 also? would they have to be ported to ps4?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Narcissus wrote: »
    sorry if this is a stupid question but the psn games I got on ps3, why can't I get these on my ps4 also? would they have to be ported to ps4?

The PS4 isn't backward compatible with any of the other PlayStation games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

The PS4 isn't backward compatible with any of the other PlayStation games.

He did ask why! Something like double the power of what you're emulating is required in order to emulate correctly? I.e. Double the power of the PS3 is required to emulate it on the PS4. Could be wrong but thought I read that before.

Playstation now is also another reason why they don't want to emulate PS3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

irishmover wrote: »
    He did ask why! Something like double the power of what you're emulating is required in order to emulate correctly? I.e. Double the power of the PS3 is required to emulate it on the PS4. Could be wrong but thought I read that before.

Playstation now is also another reason why they don't want to emulate PS3 games.

The PS3 and PS4 use completely different archiciture. The PS3 is completely unique and hard to program for where as the PS4 and X1 and very similar to regular PCs. It's a reason why alot of cross platform games ran and looked better on the 360 then the PS3 last gen.

Basically if a developer has a PS3 version of a game up and running if should be relatively to re code it for the PS4. But basically there is no emulation option due to how Sony decided to build the PS3 back in the day with the Cell chipset and separate RAM banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I received my copy of metro from shopto on thursday, pretty good service to me. More expensive than amazon, same price as gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

irishmover wrote: »

Modern PCs have far more than double the power of these systems and emulators of even very old systems suffer from a lot of issues.

There's only so much emulation can replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

You can't play PS3 games on a PS4 because Sony would like you to buy them again for the new system, possible even stream them in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement