Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

That actually looks amazing! If the PSN can run this smoothly I'll be very impressed / surprized.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

What's the internet speed required to use it decently? Similar to PS Now? Heard that'll need at least 15Mbps to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

PSN down for maintenance, AGAIN. What a joke. I'm not renewing my PS+ sub next year. Disgraceful service. Starting to regret selling my X1 at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm actually tempted to sell the PS4 at this stage and keep my xbone and Wii U. More reasons than the terrible online service though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly, I think for anything other than financial necessity it would be insane to sell a console that's barely a year old. You will want it again. Almost every console starts out at a glacial pace (Wii U and 3DS particularly took ages to find their groove), it's what you buy into as an early adopter. The games will come... sorry, are coming. I'd be amazed if by this time next year there weren't several excellent PS4 (and Xbox one) exclusives, let alone the multi-format titles.

• Advertisement

Meh. Maybe re-buy it when its cheaper. I haven't fully committed to the idea yet :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Or wait until the slim versions are released and cheaper and at that stage the software and online services should be absolutely perfect.

and online services should be absolutely perfect.

PSN has gradually got worse since the launch of the PS4, it's like it can't take the huge influx of new customers Sony took from MS. It was improving on the PS3 up till the launch of the PS4 and then bam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I laughed at people selling their Xbox one 6 months ago and now have to laugh even more at people selling their PS4.

Absolute nuts.

irishmover wrote: »
    I laughed at people selling their Xbox one 6 months ago and now have to laugh even more at people selling their PS4.

Absolute nuts.

Well I sold because I didn't see the point of having 2 consoles doing 95% of the same thing. I needed some cash and could still get most of the money back on the sale. Got 420 for it so happy days.

I got the PS3 when it was €629 even though I already had a 360 and never used the PS3 until the end of it's life, I kept it as a bluray player and for the exclusives and free online play. So I got my moneys worth in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Probably in the minority by the looks of it, but I could care less about PSN being down again as it does not affect me, I never play online and if I ever want to download a game I have never had any issues getting into the store or playing the likes of Diablo.

I know it must be annoying for people who play online and understand their gripes, but for me the download speeds have vastly improved with the PS4 and the service is far better for me then it was on the PS3, even without availing of online play I still pay and happily pay €50 a year for 6 games a month ( 72 a year ), with quite a few of those games being cross buy which helps when you have a PS3/4 and Vita.

Sure I paid £429 for the PS3 at launch, didnt regret even when it price dropped much faster than the PS4 (PS3 had its significant price drop in October 07 I recall) whereas I'm much more disappointed with the PS4 after a year. Its not just the online of course, its just like the game selection and features, I'm not feeling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Or wait until the slim versions are released and cheaper and at that stage the software and online services should be absolutely perfect.

I'll be shocked if they improve the reliability of PSN, it has always been unreliable and not a thing was done about it. Joke of a service. When I get an XO I will just move all my online play over to it.

Xenji wrote: »
    Probably in the minority by the looks of it, but I could care less about PSN being down again as it does not affect me, I never play online and if I ever want to download a game I have never had any issues getting into the store or playing the likes of Diablo.

Don't play much online myself, just last night I wanted to go and download Dust for something to play over the weekend and the store was down for maintenance. PSN has been down for 3 different days over the past 2 and a half weeks for maintenance issues. If I called in sick 3 times over 2 and half weeks I'd be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Xenji wrote: »

I know it must be annoying for people who play online and understand their gripes, but for me the download speeds have vastly improved with the PS4 and the service is far better for me then it was on the PS3, even without availing of online play I still pay and happily pay €50 a year for 6 games a month ( 72 a year ), with quite a few of those games being cross buy which helps when you have a PS3/4 and Vita.

70 of them being utter ****e that gets deleted after 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

MarkY91 wrote:

and round and round we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MarkY91 wrote: »

That's just your opinion, I have discovered great games that I would of never bothered playing if it was not for the IGC, admittedly some of the games have been terrible in my opinion but that is more of the minority than the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Maybe the PSN is bad because they didn't believe the Xbox one would be owned by the ps4. Loads of Xboxers came to Ps4 and I doubt many went the other way. The network was fine initially but with size of their sales it wasn't efficient and some peoples issues is not the PSN but their internet service provider as I don't seem to have all these issues.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Maybe the PSN is bad because they didn't believe the Xbox one would be owned by the ps4. Loads of Xboxers came to Ps4 and I doubt many went the other way. The network was fine initially but with size of their sales it wasn't efficient and some peoples issues is not the PSN but their internet service provider as I don't seem to have all these issues.

The fact it has to go down regularly for maintenance is indicative of the quality of the service, regardless of the numbers using it.

It was poorly implemented and rushed for the PS3, and instead of redoing the whole system, they just stuck a band-aid on it for the PS4.

Benzino wrote: »
    The fact it has to go down regularly for maintenance is indicative of the quality of the service, regardless of the numbers using it.

It was poorly implemented and rushed for the PS3, and instead of redoing the whole system, they just stuck a band-aid on it for the PS4.

It's going down for maintenance to improve things, if they didn't care of quality they'd just leave it.

Of course it matters how many use it because as I stated with the initial launch these issues didn't exist.

If I expect to sell 1,000,000 units and I set my network for let's say 1,500,000, but I sell 2,000,000 then that's an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

What's the internet speed required to use it decently? Similar to PS Now? Heard that'll need at least 15Mbps to play.

From what i gather, shareplay is peer orientated so it would depend on the person hosting the play session for the hour.

So say i share my game with another player, if they have a 1.5mb/s dl connection, they can play my game as i have a 30m/b upload, but they have a 376 kb/s upload so could never host a shareplay back to me.

shareplay is also limited to 1 hour sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

SharpCoder wrote: »
    From what i gather, shareplay is peer orientated so it would depend on the person hosting the play session for the hour.

So say i share my game with another player, if they have a 1.5mb/s dl connection, they can play my game as i have a 30m/b upload, but they have a 376 kb/s upload so could never host a shareplay back to me.

shareplay is also limited to 1 hour sessions.
    It seems it's very like streaming your game to a friend only difference is he can use his controller and play so I'd say if you can stream you can share play.

JamboMac wrote: »
    It's going down for maintenance to improve things, if they didn't care of quality they'd just leave it.

Of course it matters how many use it because as I stated with the initial launch these issues didn't exist.

If I expect to sell 1,000,000 units and I set my network for let's say 1,500,000, but I sell 2,000,000 then that's an issue.

Does Xbox live need to go down for maintenance on a monthly basis? How about steam, or Netflix or any online service which you pay a fee for?

The fact that they need to take it offline every month just illustrates how poor their infrastructure is. It wouldn't be acceptable if your broadband provider had to do it, so why acceptable for PSN?

Not if done correctly, it would scale up to handle the increase of users by automatically using more servers. This is standard stuff that is no doubt used by XBL and even games like Call of Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Benzino wrote: »
    Does Xbox live need to go down for maintenance on a monthly basis? How about steam, or Netflix or any online service which you pay a fee for?

The fact that they need to take it offline every month just illustrates how poor their infrastructure is. It wouldn't be acceptable if your broadband provider had to do it, so why acceptable for PSN?

Not if done correctly, it would scale up to handle the increase of users by automatically using more servers. This is standard stuff that is no doubt used by XBL and even games like Call of Duty.

the reason for this i pointed out already, netflix, xbox live, steam etc, have multiple datacentres so they can take one offline while they upgrade another, since PSN is only in one datacentre they have to take most features offline while been able to keep whoever is logged still online and why these small loic online gangs find it easy to disrupt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 abberr

the reason for this i pointed out already, netflix, xbox live, steam etc, have multiple datacentres so they can take one offline while they upgrade another, since PSN is only in one datacentre they have to take most features offline while been able to keep whoever is logged still online and why these small loic online gangs find it easy to disrupt it.

Why don't sony build more datacenters? I wonder what those money from PSN are used for, my guess is to make Sony losses lower than they are. They are loosing ton of money with TVs and phons and other stuff. If Playstation was separate brand outside Sony I bet it would be much better since they might actually use some of those money to improve it.

Sony just need to expand, simple as. MS are currently building a huge data centre suite in Grange Castle for their XBL servers seeing as the servers in Ireland are now the EU XBL server hub. Just a pity Sony is broke to invest millions in hard capital for more data centres. I wish they just lease some capacity from Amazon or something in the short term. They are expanding rapidly in the EU right now with data centres and are hosting companies such as Apple and UPC. You are taking about 500k just to fit out one hall within a data centre that could have up to 10 in full facility. That's not even construction costs, that a half mil in just hardware and installation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just found out that Sony are updating the Z2 phones/tablets to allow remote play, it was only announced for the new Z3 but they now said it's coming to the Z2 phones and tablets in November.

So the ps4 is the better console and the Xbox is better at transferring data, I prefer a good console and the free games make 50 quid still worth. The network will be improved maybe some of you need some fresh air.��

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sugarman wrote: »
    There was a work around last month already to play over any android phone!

No there was a work around last month to install it, all you get is a coming soon message on the app.

• Advertisement

Yeah you are right, of course depending on how it their system is set-up it may not just be a case of adding more centres, but they can definitely improve it and as it stands, it's not up to scratch for a paid service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement