Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Varik wrote: »
    Just found out that Sony are updating the Z2 phones/tablets to allow remote play, it was only announced for the new Z3 but they now said it's coming to the Z2 phones and tablets in November.

I'd love remote play on a tablet. The phone is too small for my liking but a tablet would be class. Wish they'd allow me to use my iPad air but that said if necessary I'll fork over the money for the Sony tab. Playing remotely on the vita the only thing I don't like is the screen size. Well that and the shoulder buttons or lack there of which I still to this day don't understand their thinkin on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Benzino wrote: »
    Yeah you are right, of course depending on how it their system is set-up it may not just be a case of adding more centres, but they can definitely improve it and as it stands, it's not up to scratch for a paid service.

Ah without a doubt, I think if sony were not in such a shady money situation at the moment, they could have expanded, but i doubt we will see that for a while until they really start making a profit from the console and other services like now and movie and music unlimited.

I don't think sony was expecting so many users, especially the xbox drm converted users, leaving PSN barely able to show a IM without loading for 5 mins, which you're correct, is unacceptable in a premium service subscription.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

JamboMac wrote: »
    So the ps4 is the better console and the Xbox is better at transferring data, I prefer a good console and the free games make 50 quid still worth. The network will be improved maybe some of you need some fresh air.��

Sony is a hardware company with a terrible reputation for software.
    Microsoft is a software company with a pretty poor hardware reputation.

I bought a PS4 because it looks like a great bit of hardware that I can play fun (mostly) single player games on. I'll use my PC for online gaming. I don't care about cloud features. I don't care about online services, I have other devices that can do that if I need it. I want a box what plays games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

5uspect wrote: »
    Sony is a hardware company with a terrible reputation for software.
    Microsoft is a software company with a pretty poor hardware reputation.

I bought a PS4 because it looks like a great bit of hardware that I can play fun (mostly) single player games on. I'll use my PC for online gaming. I don't care about cloud features. I don't care about online services, I have other devices that can do that if I need it. I want a box what plays games.

That may be so, and you can tell yourself that, but it doesn't make the situation acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That may be so, and you can tell yourself that, but it doesn't make the situation acceptable.

It is strange that very few complained about these issues before the PS4, but now seeing that you have to pay to pay online more negativity has come out and also coupled with people complaining about the quality of free games they also get ( which is quite unjustified and sensationalist in most posts).

The sever issues are a problem and the service does need an overhaul, but the issues have been around for years and it is only recently that people have became so irked about them. PS4 owners who do not play online or use the store will not even notice these issues and they are not a small minority by any means.

• Advertisement

The point is that now you have to pay for it and there is no doubt that the service is worse than at any time before, suffering regular outages and being woefully inconsistent in general.

Some people will accept anything and justify sub par service to themselves. God knows why. I can only assume it is a reflex to the fanboy wars where 'my chosen platform is great' no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Some people will accept anything and justify sub par service to themselves. God knows why. I can only assume it is a reflex to the fanboy wars where 'my chosen platform is great' no matter what.

I think age and time has something to do with it. I'm In My late 30's have little time to game so online isnt important to me I don't use messaging or party etc. I got the ps4 for the Sony franchises that I like and played on PS3. I don't mind paying for plus because for 50 quid a year I get games monthly and because of time issues I never finish games so I only pay for certain games at launch. I only play a couple of hours a week so I don't notice the down time as much. But I would agree anyone that like online gaming and spends slit of time on it needs to go Xbox it's clear it's the better service but for casual players like me Psn works well for the basic services we need. Just my two pence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I think your all mad works fine for me except for a few hours of scheduled maintenance once every month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

iamtony wrote: »
    I think your all mad works fine for me except for a few hours of scheduled maintenance once every month or so.

I think it depends on usage I hardly use messaging, chat and that so it works fine when I need it and I never couldn't get online during maintenance for a game if fifa. But I only use it a couple of hours a week I think some people rely on some parts and use it All the time so they notice every time it's off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

iamtony wrote: »

It went down Tuesday week for maintenance for a day. It was back up and the servers crashed for a full unexplained outage 2 days later then on Friday night just gone the PSN store was down for maintenance for the full night. Hardly once a month. I hardly play online from one week to the next but all these outages effected me from downloading games, content and a few BF4 game.

I don't get much time to play the console myself working 72 hours weeks and being almost 30 but still. Sure every month when the new batch of Plus games are released the service is a laggy mess for at least 24hrs no matter what you are trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I think a lot of the users giving out are probably ex Xbox users, myself included who moved over expecting the same level of service and considering Sony were making it a paid service with ps4 I think it's fair to expect a better performance.

I've owned a PS3 and the PSN was rubbish back then too but I didn't care so much as it was free so I mainly gamed online with my 360.

Once Sony announced the PS Plus would cost €50 a year I assumed they were going to match Xbox Live in terms of reliability.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I never said it did. I really don't care. However Sony have a reputation for ****ty software, so I'm not surprised.

5uspect wrote: »
    I never said it did. I really don't care. However Sony have a reputation for ****ty software, so I'm not surprised.

Nothing to do with software here at all. It's poor backbone server infrastructre with an inability to scale and lack of diverse routing. Hardware all the way or lack there of in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't recall having the same connection issues with say, GT5 prologue, as I'm having with driveclub (that was a few years ago mind.)

cloud493 wrote: »
    I don't recall having the same connection issues with say, GT5 prologue, as I'm having with driveclub (that was a few years ago mind.)

Evolution are after adding more servers over the weekend to cater for capacity. Something so basic should have been considered long ago given this was supposed to be a Plus release so potentially every PS4 owner will be playing it at some stage. School boy error on their part.

Too little too late for me. My PS4 is actually broken (I think) again, never had this with the PS3, my disappointment is boundless, to be frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Xenji wrote: »
    It is strange that very few complained about these issues before the PS4, but now seeing that you have to pay to pay online more negativity has come out and also coupled with people complaining about the quality of free games they also get ( which is quite unjustified and sensationalist in most posts).

What's strange about it? It is now a paid service and the quality of it is no where near justifying the 50 euro sub. Basic stuff is broken. We have a group chat going for Destiny, and it honestly can take minutes for a message to load or send. And the app is even worst, with constant "server limits reached" messages. Ridiculous in this day and age for a paid service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Sony should watch out.

I'm a PS4 and Vita owner, had a 360 last gen. Looking around I see there could be a possible Xbox One price cut in time for Christmas and good reviews for Forza and Sunset Overdrive.

I could be tempted to get the One, then diluting my gaming spend between Sony and Microsoft.

PS4 is definitely not working. Second broken PS4 in less than year, very annoying. I know amazon will replace it for me, but its really not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

PS4 is definitely not working. Second broken PS4 in less than year, very annoying. I know amazon will replace it for me, but its really not good enough.

What are you doing to the poor machine, if the third one breaks I think you need to look at the place you keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

JamboMac wrote: »
    What are you doing to the poor machine, if the third one breaks I think you need to look at the place you keep it.

Heat comes from the back of them mainly when they are flat down - it needs to be well ventilated, luciky I haven't had any issues other than controller's, and mine is a launch day one....

I'm not doing anything, it lies flat on a cool wooden floor, its bloody freezing in here, I only have it for say, 3-5 hours a day max, sometimes I don't switch it on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm not doing anything, it lies flat on a cool wooden floor, its bloody freezing in here, I only have it for say, 3-5 hours a day max, sometimes I don't switch it on at all.

Thats weird, I would go as far as saying I can mistreat my PS4, lol, I bring it around in a bag to my mates house a lot, drag it upstairs to smaller TV, etc etc

I'm always moving mine without issues, what's it doing or not doing as the case may be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Wouldn't keep anything electronic on the floor, with clumsy people and dust would also accumulate in the system. Mines also a day one console only run it for 2 or 3 hours a night. Have had no issues other then once freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Batesy wrote: »
    I think a lot of the users giving out are probably ex Xbox users, myself included who moved over expecting the same level of service and considering Sony were making it a paid service with ps4 I think it's fair to expect a better performance.

I've owned a PS3 and the PSN was rubbish back then too but I didn't care so much as it was free so I mainly gamed online with my 360.

Once Sony announced the PS Plus would cost €50 a year I assumed they were going to match Xbox Live in terms of reliability.

I've had a PS1, PS2, PS3 and now a PS4, the main issue i find is the friends list and the constant loading circle and blank rectangles where my mates should be and that takes way too long to show. Games that use the friends list for inviting friends or features like party that rely on the friends list are all effected and battlefield 4 in-game battlelog for example relies on the PSN/PS4 friends list to list online friends and invite and sort squads joins. People are then forced to join games via their browser and the web based join system on battlog.

If you have the Playstation App on your phone, your messages come through it first, that chime alert, even if you're on your PS4 at the same time you go into messages and it's just blank, no messages and you must refresh a several times or do it on the app just to read your message, messages are basic network 101, if a service like PSN can't even get them right, what hope do we have for other features. Oh and the PS3 PSN was fine with messaging, never had an issue with it, and that was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Update 2.0 will be available tomorrow and it includes the ability to pause and resume downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I think I speak for everyone when I say "at long F'ing last" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

How are the noise levels with your PS4's lads? the fan on mine can get quite loud, enough to bother me anyway. I have it horizontally and in open space.

• Advertisement

My PS4 is definitely way quieter than the PS3, which was terribly noisy. Happy enough on that front.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement