Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thinking of doing this myself too, like could I put in a 2tb drive? What's the cost for one? Is it easy to do?

There are tons of youtube videos showing how to do it. It's very easy, the hard part is finding a screwdriver small enough for the tiny screws on the cradle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    What drives did ye guys use. Might look into doing this sometime in the near future. Whats the difference between a hybrid and one that isnt?

I used the hard drive recommended by digital foundry:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

Best price/performance of the various options. The gains from the an SSD, and a hybrid weren't worth the extra price and or loss of hd space, compared to a 2TB drive imho. This may change as prices go down btw.

In benchmarks SSDs don't perform any faster than hybrid in the PS4 in real world conditions. Hybrids do a small advantage over a standard drive in speed. A good 7200rpm 2tb drive is the sensible option imo. I reckon 3tb drives than can fit in the PS4 should be more common by this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

In benchmarks SSDs don't perform any faster than hybrid in the PS4 in real world conditions. Hybrids do a small advantage over a standard drive in speed. A good 7200rpm 2tb drive is the sensible option imo. I reckon 3tb drives than can fit in the PS4 should be more common by this time next year.

I've seen both side by side for game loading and system loading an while the SSD is faster than the hybrid the performance increase isn't worth the price differential.

W

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    I've seen both side by side for game loading and system loading an while the SSD is faster than the hybrid the performance increase isn't worth the price differential.

W

Yeah, the difference time is tiny for the price difference. Not much between the SSD and SSHD, a few seconds in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

Yeah, the difference time is tiny for the price difference. Not much between the SSD and SSHD, a few seconds in most cases.

That's a decent deal alright, they good for games such as Call of duty, Battlefield etc where you need to hear footsteps and things?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I picked up the seagate 1TB hybrid linked a few posts up. Good value at about €90 delivered. Only put it in late last night so haven't really had a chance to reflect on whether there is much of an improved performance. Nice having double the storage anyway... can imagine it will start to fill up quickly in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Is there no way of cloning your current PS4 drive image and putting it onto the new drive? Not a huge deal to download all the games again, but I'm just wondering.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Is there no way of cloning your current PS4 drive image and putting it onto the new drive? Not a huge deal to download all the games again, but I'm just wondering.

Nothing official from Sony, there could be a way to potentially use some imaging tools to clone it onto a larger drive, but after taking a look at how the drive is partitioned, I don't think it would be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grayditch wrote: »

There is but you'll be stuck for example with only 500gb working out of the new drive. It can be cloned but the partition can't be increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ah, right, ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Dunno if this makes any sense but could you not connect your old hard drive to your ps4 using a USB and transfer them to your new one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You can backup everything on the hard drive but actual d/loaded & installed games right?

And didn't Sony say that they'd advise people to not use ssds and sshds because while the ps4 supports them it doesn't read and write at the same speed or something along those lines? Either way I'm gonna upgrade to the 2TB HDD posted in the Argos bargain thread

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Dunno if this makes any sense but could you not connect your old hard drive to your ps4 using a USB and transfer them to your new one?

The PS4 would think you are trying to connect another PS4 to it via USB. No it would not work.

The PS4 would think you are trying to connect another PS4 to it via USB. No it would not work.

Oh okay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

The Samsung M9T 2TB drive is the best drive for the price to fit into the PS4. Waste of money getting a hybrid or an ssd for marginal increase in load time. You'll have to replace the 1TB twice as fast so dont see why you'd want that.

Easiest way to get the M9T is to buy the Seagate backup slim plus.

Just got home, turned on my PS4 and GTA started to install of the disc again? So I'm gonna have to wait for bout 30 mins for the ingame install and also the download the update again.

This happen anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Is GTA worth getting then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is GTA worth getting then?

Have you played the original, besides the game being seriously overrated to begin with, the port just adds a bit of polish, extra radio tracks and some other minor additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Xenji wrote:
    Have you played the original, besides the game being seriously overrated to begin with, the port just adds a bit of polish, extra radio tracks and some other minor additions.

and first person view option

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »

Nope, this is why I am keen to purchase... Just not sure whether to get another game instead for the same price...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nope, this is why I am keen to purchase... Just not sure whether to get another game instead for the same price...

I take it you have at least played other GTA games, GTA 5 is a good game, but nothing great like Vice City, San Andreas or even GTA 4, it is very polarizing.

You could get the likes of Dragon Age, Shadows of Mordor, Far Cry 4 or depending if you played it on the PS3 TLOU instead.

Xenji wrote: »
    I take it you have at least played other GTA games, GTA 5 is a good game, but nothing great like Vice City, San Andreas or even GTA 4, it is very polarizing.

You could get the likes of Dragon Age, Shadows of Mordor, Far Cry 4 or depending if you played it on the PS3 TLOU instead.

Yeah I loved GTA 4 many people didn't seem to enjoy it though but I did... Already own Shadows of Mordor on laptop and no interest in Dragon Age however Far Cry 4 was appealing to me also... Going to buy on American PSN store so want a game I will play alot... Possibly even Little Big Planet 3...

Have about 50dollars worth right now to spent anyone know anywhere to get a cheap digital download code?... I found some cheap TLOU Remastereds for like 26dollars but they are voucher cards or whatever so it seems they need to be shipped... Want to get an american to buy the codes for me and wondering is there any cheap sites to get this?... Would love to get Far Cry 4 or GTA V for 50dollars digitally download if possible... I currently won't have the extra 10dollars for a while hence why my cap is at 50dollars..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

GTA 5 and Far Cry 4 are top titles. Cant wait for LBP 3 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Is it actually any cheaper buying games in US? I'll be in NY next week, and the price difference doesn't look that significant.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Is it actually any cheaper buying games in US? I'll be in NY next week, and the price difference doesn't look that significant.

Depending on the exchange rate, I get them for 45 euro or there abouts via PSN, I assume in store would be much the same.

BTW, if you do get a US game, remember you will have to buy any DLC for it from the US psn store.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I see the PAIN beta codes are being sent out. I redeemed mine and then spotted it was for PS3. I was fully sure it was for PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi Guys,

Currently have a PS3 but am looking to upgrade. Came across an ad for a PS4 with 5 games (Assassins Creed, Watchdogs and 3 others) for 300. Now the PS4 is out of warranty in December.
    Just wondering on peoples thoughts as to whether its a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I see the PAIN beta codes are being sent out. I redeemed mine and then spotted it was for PS3. I was fully sure it was for PS4.

Was wondering why it didn't install on the PS4...
    Just wondering on peoples thoughts as to whether its a good deal?

Never buy consoles second-hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Otacon wrote: »
    Was wondering why it didn't install on the PS4...

I went onto the PS Beta Pain forum and it's 4 pages of people saying 'sorry, I thought it was PS4, can't use this'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement