Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

cadete wrote: »

The only talk of timed was from back in august the old out of date info, Microsoft changed added more money and came publisher in December , the August stuff is out of date, atm it's full console exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

But there is nothing in the article regarding Microsoft giving more money. Someone asked an Xbox guy about it and he said they are publishing the game on Xbox One. That's it.

At the moment, it is a timed exclusive and nothing has changed.

tok9 wrote: »
    But there is nothing in the article regarding Microsoft giving more money. Someone asked an Xbox guy about it and he said they are publishing the game on Xbox One. That's it.

At the moment, it is a timed exclusive and nothing has changed.

Clearly once they became publishers it did change until SE say otherwise it's now a x1 exclusive, if it was still timed SE would say so when asked which they won't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sigh, let's not let another thread get dragged down by this argument. Square Enix has confirmed that the exclusivity deal 'has a duration' - reaffirmed it this week, in fact. That's all we know, no firm details, and safe to say they're hardly going to go and announce it's coming to other formats or not until the deal has expired with Microsoft as that would be awful publicity for an exclusivity coup, timed or otherwise.

That's the long and short of it. Can we please return to our regularly scheduled programming?

Sigh, let's not let another thread get dragged down by this argument. Square Enix has confirmed that the exclusivity deal 'has a duration' - reaffirmed it this week, in fact. That's all we know, no firm details, and safe to say they're hardly going to go and announce it's coming to other formats or not until the deal has expired with Microsoft as that would be awful publicity for an exclusivity coup, timed or otherwise.

That's the long and short of it. Can we please return to our regularly scheduled programming?

Could you please link a source for the reaffirmation I cannot find it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/9/7359861/rise-tomb-raider-microsoft-pubslish
    Square Enix also confirmed to Polygon that Microsoft will publish the upcoming game and noted that its "partnership with Microsoft on Rise of the Tomb Raider does have a duration, but we aren’t discussing those details at this time and are focused on collaborating to deliver a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360."

And that's as far as I'd be concerned the end of this topic's relevancy to this thread.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/9/7359861/rise-tomb-raider-microsoft-pubslish

And that's as far as I'd be concerned the end of this topic's relevancy to this thread.

Polygon lol not even giving them a click, it's a blog not a news site.

I apologise. The New York Times deemed it unworthy of coverage for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Sorry to burst into the middle of this heated argument. New PS4 owner. I got GTA V, The Last of Us and Far Cry 2 with the console. What other games from the past 12 months should I be looking at getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

anonyanony wrote: »
    Could you please link a source for the reaffirmation I cannot find it anywhere.

could you link your source to say its an xbox exculsive???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Clearly once they became publishers it did change until SE say otherwise it's now a x1 exclusive, if it was still timed SE would say so when asked which they won't.

That's more than likely part of the original deal, MS take the cost of distribution and marketing but being a publisher doesn't mean they have total exclusivity on it. SE not mentioning any other platforms would also be a common part of these deals, SE have also not said it's a complete exclusive either.

Multiple games have had different publishers in different regions. Even when it's internally developed games large publishers will sometimes have someone else publish it in another region where they don't already have a large presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Lemlin wrote: »
    Sorry to burst into the middle of this heated argument. New PS4 owner. I got GTA V, The Last of Us and Far Cry 2 with the console. What other games from the past 12 months should I be looking at getting?

Not a whole lot of exclusives, but

Driveclub
    Infamous (second son and first light, even though first light is being given away on PSN+ next month)
    Metro Redux
    Tombraider
    COD advanced warfare was really good, return to form for the series.
    Resogun
    Valiant Hearts The great war
    Child of light
    Velocity 2X

to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mentioned this in the previous page.

Edit: Didn't read that properly :P

I'll just add Alien Isolation and from what I've heard (yet to start) Shadow of Mordor.

Planetside 2 beta was submitted to Sony certification team, sign up saleslady under way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Any idea where the best place to pick up a PS4 for christmas? Any offers that's definitely the best?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Argos most likely, keep an eye on the bargains thread - not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

BOHtox wrote: »
    Any idea where the best place to pick up a PS4 for christmas? Any offers that's definitely the best?

The Argos deal with GTAV, The Last of Us remastered and Far Cry 4 is the best one going right now hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The Argos deal with GTAV, The Last of Us remastered and Far Cry 4 is the best one going right now hands down.

The 3 games + the playstation itself all for 400? Am I seeing things? Surely that's too good to be true.

edit: just checked there and it's all good. Definitely gonna be picking that up. Sound!

The 3 games + the playstation itself all for 400? Am I seeing things? Surely that's too good to be true.

edit: just checked there and it's all good. Definitely gonna be picking that up. Sound!

Got it myself last week. Unreal deal.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Not a whole lot of exclusives, but

Driveclub
    Infamous (second son and first light, even though first light is being given away on PSN+ next month)
    Metro Redux
    Tombraider
    COD advanced warfare was really good, return to form for the series.
    Resogun
    Valiant Hearts The great war
    Child of light
    Velocity 2X

to name a few.

What about Destiny? It looks good in the ads!

• Advertisement

The ads lie I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

Over hyped. But the shooting mechanics are top notch when playing mp in the crucible .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Helluva deal. Especially when you think I paid 400 quid for just the console and f**king Knack last year :D

Also, the ps1 theme is great. That ps1 startup sound when you log is pure nostalgic bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm up to about level 14 in it. It's not bad, but certainly not worth paying 60e ahead of a host of other games. It's decent enough, but you need online to get the most out of it. I can't say I love MP yet, as it's very weighted towards people who have been playing longer and have better gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I guess Destiny was excluded as it's not really an exclusive, sure there are a couple of missions and weapons exclusive to PS, but that's it.

I've sinked a lot of hours into it, and you'll see a lot of people have in the Destiny thread. So it is a fun game, but it is flawed and involves a lot of grinding, so not for everybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Destiny is a pretty mediocre online game and I feel the only reason that it's popular at the moment is that there's no real competition yet in that arena on the new consoles. Something better will come along soon, something that's actually fun. The only thing that kept me playing was the psychological compulsion loop grind, it certainly wasn't because I was having fun and once I recognised that it was easy to put down and walk away.

Of course I heard the Raid in the game is great but there's no way in hell I'm putting in 20-30 hours more just to unlock it. It's pretty much Phantasy Star Online with guns but PSO was a lot more enjoyable. If you have the money for a monthly subscription you'll get more out of FFXIV.

Benzino wrote: »
    I guess Destiny was excluded as it's not really an exclusive, sure there are a couple of missions and weapons exclusive to PS, but that's it.

I've sinked a lot of hours into it, and you'll see a lot of people have in the Destiny thread. So it is a fun game, but it is flawed and involves a lot of grinding, so not for everybody.

But neither where most of the other games on the list, from what I played on the 360 in single player it's just so meh, did not play online though as my copy cannot go online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Destiny is a pretty mediocre online game and I feel the only reason that it's popular at the moment is that there's no real competition yet in that arena on the new consoles. Something better will come along soon, something that's actually fun. The only thing that kept me playing was the psychological compulsion loop grind, it certainly wasn't because I was having fun and once I recognised that it was easy to put down and walk away.

Of course I heard the Raid in the game is great but there's no way in hell I'm putting in 20-30 hours more just to unlock it. It's pretty much Phantasy Star Online with guns but PSO was a lot more enjoyable. If you have the money for a monthly subscription you'll get more out of FFXIV.

The loop grind does play a part, and you are correct, the raid is fun with a bunch of people, but the main reason why people keep playing it is the shooting mechanics imo. It is very tight, and in terms of FPS, it probably has the best shooting mechanics out there on next-gen consoles. It's funny, cause despite the numerous FPS games out there, a lot of them don't get that right imo (I'm looking at you Bioshock).
    But neither where most of the other games on the list, from what I played on the 360 in single player it's just so meh, did not play online though as my copy cannot go online.

Touché, I only glanced over the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Benzino wrote: »
    The loop grind does play a part, and you are correct, the raid is fun with a bunch of people, but the main reason why people keep playing it is the shooting mechanics imo. It is very tight, and in terms of FPS, it probably has the best shooting mechanics out there on next-gen consoles. It's funny, cause despite the numerous FPS games out there, a lot of them don't get that right imo (I'm looking at you Bioshock).

Can't agree with you more there, the shooting mechanics are top notch. My problem is that the variety of content just isn't there and it wasn't enough to keep me interested.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can't agree with you more there, the shooting mechanics are top notch. My problem is that the variety of content just isn't there and it wasn't enough to keep me interested.

If you still have the game then the update that came with the dlc upped all the armour in the tower so you could get to a high enough level to do the first raid with little work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement