Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

thorbarry wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you need to pay for a plex pass?

Sadly yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

CombatCow wrote: »
    Yup if you want to use it outside of the home and some other stuff.

Streaming inside your home is "free".

OK so i can use my laptop as a media server as long as its all internal for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Thats right yeah.

Thats right yeah.

Cheers dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Anyone else having problems here updating their credit card linked to the account?

No matter what I try it says my card is invalid. Rang support yesterday and they reset my billing information but it happened again today when I retried.

I can add funds to the wallet using PayPal or prepaid cards but it's not as handy. Still, might stop impulse buys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭EvanKelly6

Sorry if this was previously mentioned in the thread. I already have a US account as I bought a physical copy of The Last of Us Remastered from Canada and I needed one to download the factions maps. Not sure if the US account is set as primary but the online mp works when I have both accounts logged in. I seen a bundle on the US store for The Crew and Far Cry 4 for $89.99! Just wondering whats's the best way to go about getting it? I'm not one for downloading DLC but I do play games online. Would there be any problems if I were to get this bundle? Any help appreciated!

Cheers dude

Seems like you will need the plex pass for this for the time being, usually they put this restriction on it for the first 1-3 months when they bring it to a new platform. ( i guess to pay for development of the app ?), but yeah thats what reddit is saying atm. Have to try for myself later.

Seems like you will need the plex pass for this for the time being, usually they put this restriction on it for the first 1-3 months when they bring it to a new platform. ( i guess to pay for development of the app ?), but yeah thats what reddit is saying atm. Have to try for myself later.

aha, I will give it a go later myself.

Hopefully Sony enables DLNA on the PS4 and allows media streaming. Its pretty crazy you cant already. fecking XBONE can play MKV's..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

aha, I will give it a go later myself.

Hopefully Sony enables DLNA on the PS4 and allows media streaming. Its pretty crazy you cant already. fecking XBONE can play MKV's..

Sony where always very strong on drm and and video piracy, does the x1cut sound like the ps3 did now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

anonyanony wrote: »
    Sony where always very strong on drm and and video piracy, does the x1cut sound like the ps3 did now?

Both have cinavia, required on all blu ray players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

Varik wrote: »
    Both have cinavia, require on all blu ray players.

Well that removes 90% of the use for mkv anyway.

Most devices can use the mkv container, doesn't mean they'll work with what ever AV codec that's in it but most devices work now.

Even some other Sony ones, who knows if its even on their roadmap for PS4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

SWEET, the Plex app is out for PS4 today!

But you can run plex normally without using any app or needing to pay for a pass. You set up the server on your laptop or pc with all your content and then on the ps4 browser go to the media server address and you get the plex interface and all your content. You can do it this way since day one, dont see the value in paying for an app or plex pass when this works fine.

Axwell wrote: »
    But you can run plex normally without using any app or needing to pay for a pass. You set up the server on your laptop or pc with all your content and then on the ps4 browser go to the media server address and you get the plex interface and all your content. You can do it this way since day one, dont see the value in paying for an app or plex pass when this works fine.

People are lazy, same reason the Xbox twitch app is great even if you can just use the PS4 Web browser to go to the site.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's not really an issue for me as I've got a few devices that can stream video straight to my tv (it's a 3yr old tv btw), down the line that's the only way people will be doing it so there will be no need for a console as an intermediary.

People are lazy, same reason the Xbox twitch app is great even if you can just use the PS4 Web browser to go to the site.

Xbox?? Sure you are in the right thread? ;)

The difference here is paying..not whether you open an app or a browser. The point being made though is you dont have to pay for the service, bookmarking a url and just loading that is as easy as opening an app but free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

EvanKelly6 wrote: »
    Sorry if this was previously mentioned in the thread. I already have a US account as I bought a physical copy of The Last of Us Remastered from Canada and I needed one to download the factions maps. Not sure if the US account is set as primary but the online mp works when I have both accounts logged in. I seen a bundle on the US store for The Crew and Far Cry 4 for $89.99! Just wondering whats's the best way to go about getting it? I'm not one for downloading DLC but I do play games online. Would there be any problems if I were to get this bundle? Any help appreciated!

The only problem would be if they where set for American servers for online.. I bought Far Cry 4 on the US store myself but have yet to play online... I am sure there is no issues with it though as many others here bought it and I have not heard about the servers being locked to America... Even if you where matched with American servers you can still play but it may just be laggy depending on your internet connection...

then on the ps4 browser......

Yeah theres the problem right there, the app versions are much nicer and responsive.

Will have a look when I go home but doubt its much if any different, its a web server/web app being viewed through the browser...

Anyways the main point was that this is already available as an alternative for free, so those that were unaware of it could use this method to stream. Also if they dont want to buy an app initially test it this way and if they like it then they can go ahead and buy the app.

The only problem would be if they where set for American servers for online.. I bought Far Cry 4 on the US store myself but have yet to play online... I am sure there is no issues with it though as many others here bought it and I have not heard about the servers being locked to America... Even if you where matched with American servers you can still play but it may just be laggy depending on your internet connection...

Thanks, think I'll give it a go to get Modern Warfare for $45. How do you go about paying for games? Would I need to purchase a US PSN card from eBay/Amazon?

• Advertisement

Thanks, think I'll give it a go to get Modern Warfare for $45. How do you go about paying for games? Would I need to purchase a US PSN card from eBay/Amazon?

The only real issue is if you buy the games off another store you have to buy the DLC there. I havent come across any issues because of servers etc. You can buy a PSN card of those sites or you can buy them off some online website like pcgamesupply.com or play asia, id recommend the former. They send you the codes by email and you just redeem them on the US psn store.

The only real issue is if you buy the games off another store you have to buy the DLC there. I havent come across any issues because of servers etc. You can buy a PSN card of those sites or you can buy them off some online website like pcgamesupply.com or play asia, id recommend the former. They send you the codes by email and you just redeem them on the US psn store.

I'm not one for buying DLC anyway so we can ditch that. PlayAsia? Think I'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I'm not one for buying DLC anyway so we can ditch that. PlayAsia? Think I'll give it a go!

Make sure the codes are sent via email as if they have to be posted would take ages to recieve. I use G2A for my codes get them within 5mins...

No pcgamesupply is recommend first. Playasia can take a while. Both send them over email, dont know any that post codes out to you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

new free to play game out today called Loadout, has been out on PC for a while and looks like a mix between team fortress and Brink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Anyone else have a problem installing Plants vs Zombies? I'm stuck in a tutorial level with an 'install progress' bar that is moving up a percent approx every half hour, ridiculously slow.

Anyone else have a problem installing Plants vs Zombies? I'm stuck in a tutorial level with an 'install progress' bar that is moving up a percent approx every half hour, ridiculously slow.

Disconnect Internet and try running it again as it's likely downloading a patch and installing it, after that connect again but don't run it and keep an eye on file size on information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Disconnect Internet and try running it again as it's likely downloading a patch and installing it, after that connect again but don't running and keep an eye on file size on information.

Cheers, I'll give that a go.

Edit: Getting the same thing while disconnected, I think it's the actual install that's taking so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

new free to play game out today called Loadout, has been out on PC for a while and looks like a mix between team fortress and Brink

It's a great game on pc. Will have to give it a go on ps4 too. I wonder how it will work with controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Im tempted by the cod aw price on the us store at the moment. How does it play now that its been out almost 2 months, any hackers or big issues with it or have things been ironed out? Last cod i played before ghosts(poor game) was black ops which i loved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement