Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I still cannot sign in :mad:. I'd say I've missed at least a week this year in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

The reason why hackers do this is to get paid, their not being activists. It's the ideal time to hold the consoles hostage. Most of these guys will be the elitist PC gamers we've all encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

lertsnim wrote: »
    I still cannot sign in :mad:. I'd say I've missed at least a week this year in total.

PSN has been working fine for me for the past 2 hours. Just signed in, went on the store and looked around. Then downloaded the AC Units patch at 6.5Gb in about 20mins.

JamboMac wrote: »
    The reason why hackers do this is to get paid, their not being activists. It's the ideal time to hold the consoles hostage. Most of these guys will be the elitist PC gamers we've all encountered.

They claim they are doing it to show how bad the security and backup systems of PSN and Live are. If this act makes Sony and MS get their fingers out all the better in the end. Imagine if MS went and made the Xbone online only like they wanted to at E3 last year. A DDOS attack like this makes the console a brick on the spot.

It shows that an online only consumer market model can never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,825 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They claim they are doing it to show how bad the security and backup systems of PSN and Live are. If this act makes Sony and MS get their fingers out all the better in the end. Imagine if MS went and made the Xbone online only like they wanted to at E3 last year. A DDOS attack like this makes the console a brick on the spot.

it could work - if asshats like lizard squad et al didn't deliberately try to take them out.

The level of security etc is only an issue over the last couple of days because these guys decided to make it an issue.

Just like the asshats who make a virus to 'expose' windows security issues in their crusade against MS - when it only really affects the innocent people who bought a laptop or computer.

Asshats make the world a more irritating place - 'poor' security or not.

• Advertisement

Well it works like this I'm a hacker so I crash your network and then say, I know how to fix this issue and if you pay me I will. But I believe all the people who create these security systems always leave a backdoor otherwise they'd go out of business if it was impenetrable.

So yes they are doing this to show its vulnerable but for financial gain.

If security was up to scratch in the first place asshats would not be a problem. Chicken and egg situation. DDOS attacks are very hard to defend against though and they are even easier to do when servers are already under heavy natural load ala Christmas Day. It did show up Sony as they did not have the redundancy in their system that MS have as Live was back in action much quicker than Sony's network.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'Hacker' is an over generous description for what these people are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Well it works like this I'm a hacker so I crash your network and then say, I know how to fix this issue and if you pay me I will. But I believe all the people who create these security systems always leave a backdoor otherwise they'd go out of business if it was impenetrable.

So yes they are doing this to show its vulnerable but for financial gain.

It's a DDos attack, that's not hacking.

Benzino wrote: »
    It's a DDos attack, that's not hacking.

Well it is a way to make security on servers more vulnerable, we don't know whether they've taken information yet. Yes it's like me smacking your house with wrecking ball and saying the structure of this house is shocking.

• Advertisement

Well it is a way to make security on servers more vulnerable, we don't know whether they've taken information yet. Yes it's like me smacking your house with wrecking ball and saying the structure of this house is shocking.

No information can be taken from a DDos attack. To describe it in simple terms, they basically sent a ton of fake requests per second, so many that the servers cannot handle it and crash.

PSN has been down for a long time, so maybe something else has happened too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Grrr!!

Have DA Inquisition here but don't want to play until i can upload my Keep choices.

No information can be taken from a DDos attack. To describe it in simple terms, they basically sent a ton of fake requests per second, so many that the servers cannot handle it and crash.

Didn't mean a DDOS could gather information just overload security, therefore making it easier to access through a virus or maybe they have hackers. But it's not as simple as DDOS attack coz that proves nothing. You can crash any network with enough people with a PC software designed to overrun it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I hope they don't have it back up until they can prevent a similar attack happening soon.
    Is it back up by now? I got €20 more PSN credit earlier so wanna try Game of Thrones or download a few updates

Btw anyone else see the figleaves.com ad on boards -_-
    :)

Didn't mean a DDOS could gather information just overload security, therefore making it easier to access through a virus or maybe they have hackers. But it's not as simple as DDOS attack coz that proves nothing. You can crash any network with enough people with a PC software designed to overrun it.

All I've heard is that they took it down with a DDoS attack. Perhaps they did something else, but I haven't seen any reports suggesting that. PSN is very fragile in my opinion, so the amount of time it's taking for it to go back up doesn't surprise me. I also have a feeling the work is been done on the US side, hence why it's taking longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can stop with those conspiracy theories. You're just showing a real lack of knowledge about DDOS attacks and server security. A DDOS attack has nothing to do with the security of servers. What a DDOS does is just overload the server with requests so it's slow to respond or crashes. In both those situations you actually make it impossible to break the security, if there's no access to the servers you've got no access to the information on those servers.

They also aren't doing this for money and will get no money out of this. It's just a bunch of bored teenagers/nerds in their early twenties with delusions of fighting the power and making a difference by doing some really stupid things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Anyone know when an F1 game is scheduled for release? I would guess two/three months into the next season.

Am I the only one that thinks an F1 Race Stars would be better ?.. That games a million times better than F1

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Grrr!!

Have DA Inquisition here but don't want to play until i can upload my Keep choices.

I've just started to play this. Where have all the hours gone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Working for me now. Got Dragon Age synched, redeemed some codes and its still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Finally up and running. The PS4 is stunning. GTA5 is like a different game. No comparison.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You can stop with those conspiracy theories. You're just showing a real lack of knowledge about DDOS attacks and server security. A DDOS attack has nothing to do with the security of servers. What a DDOS does is just overload the server with requests so it's slow to respond or crashes. In both those situations you actually make it impossible to break the security, if there's no access to the servers you've got no access to the information on those servers.

They also aren't doing this for money and will get no money out of this. It's just a bunch of bored teenagers/nerds in their early twenties with delusions of fighting the power and making a difference by doing some really stupid things.

Why are they attacking tor now? To snoop on people who thought it was private. But they can attack specific parts with DDOS attack, but hey why not believe people who ruin Christmas. That their just trying to change the world.

Why are they attacking tor now? To snoop on people who thought it was private. But they can attack specific parts with DDOS attack, but hey why not believe people who ruin Christmas. That their just trying to change the world.

Please read about what a DDos attack is before you carry on. They are doing this to make a point, yes. Not to steal data at all. They are just sad people with nothing better to do.

They are the same as kids years ago play nick nacks, spraying walls and tieing a pair of shoes together and wrapping them around the external TV and phone cables to people's houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Seems like everything is back working for me now. Except I bought GTA through the web store this morning and have no way to download it. It's in my library but theres no option to download and it appears in the store as though I havent bought it at all.

If it was just DDOS as some of you see it, why is it coming back incrementally as mine isn't back. As for conspiracy theory it's not like I'm screaming fbi are hiding the Roswell incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

PSN looks to be down again. If anything I'd imagine it's for performing maintenance on their freewall, surely not another attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

If it was just DDOS as some of you see it, why is it coming back incrementally as mine isn't back. As for conspiracy theory it's not like I'm screaming fbi are hiding the Roswell incident.

Stop posting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Nailz wrote: »
    PSN looks to be down again. If anything I'd imagine it's for performing maintenance on their freewall, surely not another attack.

It says it's undergoing maintenance

drumswan wrote: »
    Stop posting

Why should I not be allowed post my views?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Can't seem to log in on my PS4 in the UK. Never logged in before on it. Gonna have to wait it out I think.

• Advertisement

We have no idea how PSN is set up, we all know PSN is a fragile system. Perhaps rebooting the whole network requires a lot of work, or something broke when DDoS crashed them, or perhaps Sony are beefing up their security.

It's already been confirmed that it was a DDoS attack that stopped about a day ago, there was no breach of data (it's not even possible with a DDoS attack). I dunno why you insist in bringing it up, it's just scaremongering at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement