Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Benzino wrote: »
    Servers aren't free you know.

Well they were until I got a ps4 and had to buy ps+, and considering that PSN is, for the most part, still down and XBL has been up since yesterday, I wonder where the money is going. I'd like to think lizard squad have shown Sony that they need to invest but it's unlikely they'll beef up their servers at all.

alwald wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this easy solution??

I'm not a web security expert but it's clear from other examples that when money is invested properly into your servers it makes it harder for them to be ddoxed. Take paypal for example, they were brought down a few years ago through ddos attacks, yet since then there hasn't been much, if any, disruption in their service, because they learnt their lesson and put the resources into strengthening their servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Well they were until I got a ps4 and had to buy ps+, and considering that PSN is, for the most part, still down and XBL has been up since yesterday, I wonder where the money is going. I'd like to think lizard squad have shown Sony that they need to invest but it's unlikely they'll beef up their servers at all.

Eh, no, the servers were not free then either. Sony just paid for them.

Eh, no, the servers were not free then either. Sony just paid for them.

Yeah ok they're not free to provide, but Sony still make enough money anyway through sales of games and ps products. What I'm trying to say is, even though we now pay €50 a year extra, little improvements can be seen despite the large additions in revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I'm not a web security expert but it's clear from other examples that when money is invested properly into your servers it makes it harder for them to be ddoxed. Take paypal for example, they were brought down a few years ago through ddos attacks, yet since then there hasn't been much, if any, disruption in their service, because they learnt their lesson and put the resources into strengthening their servers.

Just like yourself I am not a web security expert, regarding PayPal we don't know if they were attacked or not after what happened to them a couple of years ago.

I don't think that a solution exists to prevent servers from a DDOS attack, DDOS attacks are basically like a vending machine that is full but other people try to fill it even more until it explodes, the only way IMO to prevent a DDOS attack is to hope to have a bigger server and bandwidth than the attackers.

• Advertisement

alwald wrote: »
    Just like yourself I am not a web security expert, regarding PayPal we don't know if they were attacked or not after what happened to them a couple of years ago.

I don't think that a solution exists to prevent servers from a DDOS attack, DDOS attacks are basically like a vending machine that is full but other people try to fill it even more until it explodes, the only way IMO to prevent a DDOS attack is to hope to have a bigger server and bandwidth than the attackers.

Well we can presume they have been attacked in the meantime considering that large companies receive cyber attacks on a daily basis, it just takes a couple of very smart individuals with the right equipment and funding to get in or take a system down. And considering that anonymous are still active, and don't have a liking for financial or big companies, it's presumable they've been attacked since, just not well enough.

Well yeah, ddos attacks can be better prevented with increased bandwidth and server size, but also employing smarter and better web experts, most of whom start off as hackers themselves. Considering that lizard squad have said that Sony's engineers are a bunch of idiots, then it looks like Sony hasn't done any of this investing since the last major attack in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

http://map.ipviking.com

This shows current attacks, not that relevant but interesting.

I don't know the specifics of Paypal incident, but Paypal would be making a lot more money than Sony would via PSN. They are not really comparable in my opinion. It's like saying why doesn't Google go down? Because make billions which can be invested into their security, Sony do not (in fact, Sony are in huge debt).

One of the alleged "hackers" said Sony and MS can easily prevent this by spending a couple of million a month. Grand, but who do you think will bare the cost for that couple of million? Us, the consumers. These are business' after all, they are here to make money, don't think otherwise.
    Yeah ok they're not free to provide, but Sony still make enough money anyway through sales of games and ps products. What I'm trying to say is, even though we now pay €50 a year extra, little improvements can be seen despite the large additions in revenue.

They sure do make money through sales of games and PS products, but they also have to spend money to get those sales.

Look, I've long held the opinion that PSN is a joke now that it is a paid service. It's a terrible service which seems to be constantly down, there is no defending it. There has been no improvement since they made it mandatory. But to suggest that PSN does not cost Sony any money is just wrong, which is why I replied to your original post.

eddhorse wrote: »
    http://map.ipviking.com

This shows current attacks, not that relevant but interesting.

It's brilliant; just a massive back and forth between America and China haha

Considering that lizard squad have said that Sony's engineers are a bunch of idiots, then it looks like Sony hasn't done any of this investing since the last major attack in 2011.

They also said they weren't in it for the money, yet accepted vouchers worth 300,000 and are going to sell them. Don't believe a word from them.

• Advertisement

I don't know the specifics of Paypal incident, but Paypal would be making a lot more money than Sony would via PSN. They are not really comparable in my opinion. It's like saying why doesn't Google go down? Because make billions which can be invested into their security, Sony do not (in fact, Sony are in huge debt).

One of the alleged "hackers" said Sony and MS can easily prevent this by spending a couple of million a month. Grand, but who do you think will bare the cost for that couple of million? Us, the consumers. These are business' after all, they are here to make money, don't think otherwise.

They sure do make money through sales of games and PS products, but they also have to spend money to get those sales.

Look, I've long held the opinion that PSN is a joke now that it is a paid service. It's a terrible service which seems to be constantly down, there is no defending it. There has been no improvement since they made it mandatory. But to suggest that PSN does not cost Sony any money is just wrong, which is why I replied to your original post.

Yeah I misinterpreted it as us consumers not paying for servers before, rather than that but nvm.

I understand that Sony are in huge debt, but I just feel that it's an absolute joke paying extra for the same sh*tty servers as before, yet they spin it as we're getting a service like Xbox Live, which is just pure bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

No joy for me, nothing wrong with the network in my house
    Error code - working on phone app but not on the unit itself
    Anyone else have any joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

sofireland wrote: »

Nope. I can get onto the store on my computer but can't log onto psn on the ps4 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

sofireland wrote: »

Not for me and for the last while when I turn it off I've been getting the beep beep beep, like when it freezes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well yeah, ddos attacks can be better prevented with increased bandwidth and server size, but also employing smarter and better web experts, most of whom start off as hackers themselves. Considering that lizard squad have said that Sony's engineers are a bunch of idiots, then it looks like Sony hasn't done any of this investing since the last major attack in 2011.

That wasn't a ddos it was a true hack. They got on to the server and took all the information off it. The idiots at Sony had everything stored as plain text, even passwords were unsalted. It's pretty unacceptable considering how easy it is to hash and then salt passwords, feck sake I did it on some websites for a company when I had no experience in web development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The best comment there on that website is :

"But if i'm to go by their attitude, then next x-mas i will go around puncturing kids bicycles to 'Highlight' the vulnerability of tyres."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Pathetic. So they think kids should spend time with their families instead of on a console, yet they spend Christmas on computers acting like moronic assholes instead of spending time with their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KingOfTheSouth

I have used the MTU settings that people have been using on Twitter and get online with them. But I have to update my PSN account which makes me lose the connection. Has anyone else got a PS4 that has got a way of keeping the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Still not working on the ps4 but works fine on the app. Strage thing is, I can see what I've played yesterday and trophies have also updated so it's connecting sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Everything is working fine for me now; store, trophies, profile, games, all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Waiting 4 hours now for an email to verify my email address...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

shawki wrote: »
    Waiting 4 hours now for an email to verify my email address...

Took a while for my mates last night and didnt come through via console so he logged in via the browser on his phone, and there is an option there in your profile to "resend the verification email", he then received it about 10 mins later, give it a go.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Very annoying, I get four days off at christmas and hoped to play cod online for those few days. I won't get a day off now until April so that's the end of that. ****ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

That mtu works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah, the MTU set to 1473 worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KingOfTheSouth

I have my PS4 set to MTU 1473, but I have to update my account and it just loses the connection at the end of updating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I have my PS4 set to MTU 1473, but I have to update my account and it just loses the connection at the end of updating.

You don't need to do that anymore, was a temp fix.
    Reset your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

F1ngers wrote: »
    You don't need to do that anymore, was a temp fix.
    Reset your connection.

the Internet connection?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

the Internet connection?

Yes, on the console.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement