Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Redo91 wrote: »
    Was playing Fifa yesterday when I noticed my thumb kept slipping off the left analogue stick. I locked at it after the game and noticed the rubber was beginning to wear a bit. I'm aware that this was a common enough issue but I could have sworn I read on here or another forum that they had began using a different rubber to prevent this. I only got the PS4 a little over a month ago so definitely didn't expect it to be an issue this soon. People had mentioned some sort of cover you can buy for the analogue stick but at €50 a pop for the controllers I expect them to work just fine as they are without spending any more.

The wear on the analogue stick isn't too bad at the minute but I expect it to get worse further down the line. In advance of that I'm just wondering what are the shops policies in terms of replacing the controller? Will they just replace it on the spot? I got the controller in Smyths if that makes any difference.

Not too late to use these, will prevent any further wear:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORB-Controller-Thumb-Grips-4-Pack/dp/B00GH7UA32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422566664&sr=8-1&keywords=orb+ps4+thumb+grips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Was playing Fifa yesterday when I noticed my thumb kept slipping off the left analogue stick. I locked at it after the game and noticed the rubber was beginning to wear a bit. I'm aware that this was a common enough issue but I could have sworn I read on here or another forum that they had began using a different rubber to prevent this. I only got the PS4 a little over a month ago so definitely didn't expect it to be an issue this soon. People had mentioned some sort of cover you can buy for the analogue stick but at €50 a pop for the controllers I expect them to work just fine as they are without spending any more.

The wear on the analogue stick isn't too bad at the minute but I expect it to get worse further down the line. In advance of that I'm just wondering what are the shops policies in terms of replacing the controller? Will they just replace it on the spot? I got the controller in Smyths if that makes any difference.
    Once it's over 28 days smyths will just give you a form with contact details for sony then you have to call them and send it off! Do it though I went through the process but never sent the controller back and now it's out of warranty and in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

iamtony wrote: »
    Once it's over 28 days smyths will just give you a form with contact details for sony then you have to call them and send it off! Do it though I went through the process but never sent the controller back and now it's out of warranty and in bits.

Do they fix the controller or do you get sent a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Do they fix the controller or do you get sent a new one?

I didn't send mine back so can't say for sure but I think it's a new one they give you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Didn't think much of the spotify announcement until I read you can listen to music while in game, thats going to be brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Didn't think much of the spotify announcement until I read you can listen to music while in game, thats going to be brilliant.

can't that be done already with the playstation music sub. I definitely had music playing while fifa was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Could play music while playing games on the original Xbox. It was just OK then and won't really be something I'd get great use out of now either.

If I'm playing a game I'd much rather have the sounds from the game. They're there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

irishmover wrote: »
    Could play music while playing games on the original Xbox. It was just OK then and won't really be something I'd get great use out of now either.

If I'm playing a game I'd much rather have the sounds from the game. They're there for a reason.

The vast majority of the time, I'd agree with you, I too prefer the game's original soundtrack most of the time.

However, for games with a long grind or games with a terrible soundtrack to begin with, this feature is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

can't that be done already with the playstation music sub. I definitely had music playing while fifa was on.

Perhaps, but I don't have a Playstation Music sub and I get Spotify with my phone plan, so works out for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Anybody know what the deal is with GTA5's availability in Game Stop? I have a voucher that I'd like to use but there's no sign of the game on the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

conorhal wrote: »
    Anybody know what the deal is with GTA5's availability in Game Stop? I have a voucher that I'd like to use but there's no sign of the game on the shelves.

You're probably better off asking the person at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

There's a lot of videos on YouTube of people showing how to swap the dual shock analogs with the Xbox One analogs, seems to work great and avoids the need to place horrible grips over the dual shock thumb sticks.
    The XB1 analogs are £7 I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If you delete games off the ps4 are you game save deleted too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you delete games off the ps4 are you game save deleted too?

No the save data is seperate from what i remember, I always upload my save to plus when I want to delete a game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ok thats great news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Same problem with the worn rubber - the materials used in the pads seems to be shyte to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There's a lot of videos on YouTube of people showing how to swap the dual shock analogs with the Xbox One analogs, seems to work great and avoids the need to place horrible grips over the dual shock thumb sticks.

Im probably going to do this,sick of the half a thumbstick of rubber thats left on the controller now!!

You got a link to where the X1 thumbsticks can be bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The controllers are crap. They are so noisy; if I record gameplay with the headset on, all you can hear is button bashing and a horrible squeaky sound from the triggers. I'd say they cost next to nothing to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

EoinHef wrote: »
    Im probably going to do this,sick of the half a thumbstick of rubber thats left on the controller now!!

You got a link to where the X1 thumbsticks can be bought?

I got these metal sticks from Amazon.

I chose them as I found the XBO sticks to be too long.

Now all three of my controllers have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You can also pick up any set of Kontrol Freek covers like these https://www.videogamesplus.ca/kontrol-freek-fps-freek-specter-ps4-p-22302.html, strangely enough only one of my controllers had the rubber wear away and the other has been fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

martyos121 wrote: »

Those were the things I was on about. I don't see why I should have to spend more money because the controllers are faulty. I'll get it replaced when it gets really bad. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Thanks for the feedback but don't see why I should go swapping analogue sticks because of their poor quality. Will just keep going back with them until I get a decent one.

Thanks for the feedback but don't see why I should go swapping analogue sticks because of their poor quality. Will just keep going back with them until I get a decent one.

Which is also an option,but replace the sticks and be done with it imo. It will just be hassle sending them back all the time. I do agree they should be better quality,for me the controller build quality is the weakest part of the overall PS4 package.

@Otacon
    They look pretty cool man,reckon ill go with them. Thank you

Which is also an option,but replace the sticks and be done with it imo. It will just be hassle sending them back all the time. I do agree they should be better quality,for me the controller build quality is the weakest part of the overall PS4 package.

@Otacon
    They look pretty cool man,reckon ill go with them. Thank you

Some peoples controllers don't seem to wear at all. I'll prob do it a few times til I get a decent one. I have two controllers anyhow so it aint the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »
    I got these metal sticks from Amazon.

I chose them as I found the XBO sticks to be too long.

Now all three of my controllers have them.

I'd be a bit cautious of those, they're likely to cause more damage in the long run.

Varik wrote: »
    I'd be a bit cautious of those, they're likely to cause more damage in the long run.

Any reason? Theres only 3 reviews on amazon but there all positive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Any reason? Theres only 3 reviews on amazon but there all positive

The new sticks will abrade the casing over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Some peoples controllers don't seem to wear at all. I'll prob do it a few times til I get a decent one. I have two controllers anyhow so it aint the end of the world.
    Mine's been fine since June. It got a bit squeaky on the triggers for about a month, but that's gone now. Stick rubber shows wear, i.e. they're both smooth now, but nothing as serious as other people have been experiencing.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    The new sticks will abrade the casing over time.

Thats a possibility considering there metal,id be inclined to think they would be ok though. The plastic is fairly hard on the controller and the part of the stick in contact with it is smooth,a fair point though.
    Im going to have a scout around and see what alternatives are available online. Im definitely going to change the sticks instead of using the caps though.

On another more positive note i grabbed a copy of Dragon Age earlier from argos(€60) as i got a one4all voucher from work. Ive been looking for an rpg to get into for awhile and havent found anything i enjoyed. Played the prologue and im definitely looking forward to getting stuck in. Between GTA,Tranistor next week and dragon age i reckon im sorted for the next while for games:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement