Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As predicted internet reviewers around the world are letting out a collective 'meh' towards the Order. 3/5 from Jeremy Parish on USGamer and Eurogamer summed it up with this:

I assumed as much, it will be down to around €20 in a few months, will pick it up then and probably take a year or so to play it.

More reviews for The Order.
    JeuxVideo Magazine: 15/20

[Translated by Conduit] Gameplay : Very simple but efficient action scenes, a large amount of QTE and some poor sneaking levels.
    Graphics : Top notch textures, mind blowing effects and no transition between game and cinematics. Awesome.
    Sound: Really good ambiant score, good dialogs, and good feedback from the weapons.
    Duration :Almost 7 hours, without running, which is a bit short (knowing that cinematics is half the duration..).
    Global : A lovely object, between a movie and a game. Some can considers it half-win or half-fail, it is the way you love Videogames that will be decisive.

Gamepur: 9.5/10

This is a game where everything just comes together perfectly, the audio, characters, the story and when you reach the end you can't help but think back at the experience you just witnessed.

Gameplane: 89%

[Google Translated] Ready At Dawn provides an outstanding start to the PS4. Anyone who can start with sharp graphics, a great story, which is excellently presented and a sound that has no equal, something that should definitely strike. All those who how much content they receive calculate exactly one euro invested, however, think again about buying.

Forbes: 6.5

While I can’t recommend you spend full price, I do think it’s worth checking out at some point—either when the price drops, or as a rental, or borrowed from a friend. It’s a really gorgeous game, and I don’t at all regret my time spent playing it. I’m certainly rooting for a sequel—one that can maintain its vision of being story-driven and compelling, but that pushes even harder to be a good game. Ambition is all well and good so long as the core mechanics are sound. And they simply aren’t sound in The Order: 1886.

CraveOnline: 6/10

The Order: 1886 ends on a note that displays a full intention for there to be subsequent releases in the franchise. But in this day and age there isn’t any room for games that are costly to craft, and don’t stand out enough to be impactful. It’d be a surprise if a sequel ever saw the light of day.

4Gamers: 75/100

[Google Translated] This is undoubtedly an artistic masterpiece. More so, we believe it is the time of writing the most impressive game on any platform. That is a serious statement, but we would not say anything if we were not sure. The framerate is also very smooth with no noticeable drops and the audio is at a similar level as the graphics. This is the reason that many people look forward to this title and shall certainly not disappoint. Rather, it has fully met our expectations and even exceeded.

Eurogamer

It's shallow fun while it lasts, but The Order feels dated before its time. Despite being the PlayStation 4's new poster child, the latest pretty face for the new generation, Ready at Dawn's truncated epic feels like a product of the year of its inception - a time when the world was in thrall to Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain, and before the prescribed dramatics of Quantic Dream turned sour with Beyond: Two Souls. The result is an earnest game, sometimes disarmingly so. There are no levelling weapons, no branching narrative decisions, no litany of unlockables - and there's absolutely no reason to return once it's all over.

IGN: 6.5/10

The basic conflict at the heart of The Order: 1886 is that considerations for a cinematic approach are prioritized above the needs of basic gameplay. Its best aspects are its stunning looks, atmosphere, and style – which are truly fantastic – and entertaining fiction. But the shallow, slow, and generic quick-time event-riddled gameplay make it feel like an experience that would've been better served by a non-interactive movie than a game. With no multiplayer, and no reason to revisit the short and stunted single-player campaign once it’s been completed, there just isn’t a lot to it.

Videogamer: 6/10

The Order is a beautiful dud. Instead of building the core mechanics and then wrapping everything else around it, instead it appears Ready at Dawn made a movie and wondered how to put a game into it. By all accounts it still hasn't worked it out.

Gamespot: 5/10

What, then, to make of The Order: 1886? It is, at best, perfectly playable, and lovely to look at and listen to. But it is also the face of mediocrity and missed opportunities. A bad game can make a case for itself. A boring one is harder to forgive.

Escapist: 3/5

The Order: 1886 is bland gameplay wrapped in admittedly gorgeous next generation graphics. It's not bad through and through, it's just disappointing.

Kotaku: No

The Order: 1886 doesn't feel like the product of someone's grand vision; it feels like the tatters of that vision have been gathered, taped together, and presented as complete. The best I can say of it is that its premise is just novel enough to feel wasted. As I played, I kept wishing for some hint of inspiration, a dash of spirit to warm me against the chilly downpour of mediocrity. I found none

Polygon: 5.5

The one area where The Order surpasses the "been there, shot that" vibe is in its presentation. There is, in my estimation, no better looking game on consoles. Victorian London is rendered in beautiful, exacting, sooty detail with just enough steampunk flourishes to make it seem otherworldly. The shift in fidelity between cutscene and gameplay is so imperceptible that it's hardly worth discerning between the two. Though hopelessly outdated from a mechanical perspective, The Order: 1886 is at least decked out in its next-generation finest.

Jimquisiton: 6.5/10

Open-world games aren't going anywhere, and I don't want them to, but The Order is proof that there's still a place for linear, cinematic gaming experiences. It may look like a modern game, but The Order is a throwback to some of the best releases from the PlayStation 2: games that didn’t need a massive world to tell a cool story. It turns out I really missed that.

EGM: 4.5/10

The Order: 1886 is a paper-thin PS4 launch title delivered 15 months behind schedule. It’s nowhere near as profound or innovative as it thinks it is—the epitome of all style and no substance.

Giant Bomb: 2/5

There are things here worth checking out, but the action feels half-cocked and you'll be finished with it in an afternoon. I won't pretend to guess at how much $60 means to you, dear reader, but I will say that The Order is a middling experience with a couple of bright flashes that only serve to remind you that this could be a more interesting game if more of its ideas were fully formed. If you're bent on seeing The Order for yourself, you should probably rent it.

GameTrailers: 8.2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'll wait the year or 2 for it to appear on PS+

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oof. What most of us expected, by the looks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No surprises.

In Bloodborne we trust.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You know what i miss, playing a game and judging it yourself, instead of hanging on to the word of some reviewer, of all the good the internet done its killed a lot of the buzz getting new games, i remember as a kid getting a game just by looking at the cover, not by youtube or anything.

I always based my buying judgement on reviews. It was Commodore Format first then Sega Zone/Sega Power/Gamesmaster. I'd rather make an informed buying decision rather than buy a stinker. It was worse when games cost 100+ euros (adjusted for inflation) and you got maybe 2 a year and you bought a stinker. On the internet at least I can follower reviewers with similar tastes and I can trust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No surprises.

In Bloodborne we trust.

The PS4 can gather dust in my parents place until March then :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Have game reviewers always been so pompous or is it a recent trend?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Game reviewers need to be pompous IMO. They should hold games to a higher standard. Too many reviews even today are shallow or extensions of the marketing and hype machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Thinking of buying Little Big Planet 3 for 33$ anyone know if that would be the best price?... Also would buying it from America cause me to lag and get stuck in American servers or will everything work perfect?..

Thinking of either that or Lego Batman 3 which is on sale on EU store, not sure if I should go for the season pass along with it too...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

At least Bloodbourne will deliver

Thinking of buying Little Big Planet 3 for 33$ anyone know if that would be the best price?... Also would buying it from America cause me to lag and get stuck in American servers or will everything work perfect?..

Thinking of either that or Lego Batman 3 which is on sale on EU store, not sure if I should go for the season pass along with it too...

It was down to $24.00 last weekend on a flash sale, the servers are fine, have been playing Guilty Gear Xrd with no lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Have game reviewers always been so pompous or is it a recent trend?

Average game is average. Don't buy into the hype machine.
    The Order is like very good looking woman but has nothing going on between her ears. Nice to look at but not a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Damn, thats lower than I expected. Unless argos has it for sub €60, no buy from me.

• Disappointed; literally the only thing I was looking forward to outside of Hotline Miami 2.

This half of the year looks weak.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Disappointed; literally the only thing I was looking forward to outside of Hotline Miami 2.

This half of the year looks weak.

It looks week from a exclusive standpoint but I will be picking up these games in the next 3 months.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
    Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
    Bloodborne
    Hotline Miami 2
    Toukiden: Kiwami
    MLB 15: The Show
    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
    Omega Quintet
    Mortal Kombat X
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

• Xenji wrote: »
    It looks week from a exclusive standpoint but I will be picking up these games in the next 3 months.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
    Bloodborne
    Hotline Miami 2
    Omega Quintet
    Mortal Kombat X

Not for me but each to there own.

What annoys me the most about The Order is what in the **** did the developers spend 5+ years working on

What annoys me the most about The Order is what in the **** did the developers spend 5+ years working on

All style and no substance by the look of it and they could not even get the style right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Game reviewers need to be pompous IMO. They should hold games to a higher standard. Too many reviews even today are shallow or extensions of the marketing and hype machines.

I don't disagree with the latter anyway.
    Average game is average. Don't buy into the hype machine.
    The Order is like very good looking woman but has nothing going on between her ears. Nice to look at but not a keeper.

I have little interest in the Order, so don't take my comment as defence of this game, probably the wrong thread to have posted it in anyway - so my bad there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Got an email from amazon there today saying Project Cars expected delivery is now in April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

I think developing the engine took up alot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Got an email from amazon there today saying Project Cars expected delivery is now in April

Yeah, it got another delay yesterday. They can delay it all they like as far as I care so long as they get it right. Drive Club is not my thing and I need something to fill my Forza void on Playstation.

I believe Dying Light has been delayed again too by another week but can't see it conformed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Yeah, it got another delay yesterday. They can delay it all they like as far as I care so long as they get it right. Drive Club is not my thing and I need something to fill my Forza void on Playstation.

I believe Dying Light has been delayed again too by another week but can't see it conformed anywhere.

Indeed, the more its delayed the better it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Xenji wrote: »

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
    Bloodborne
    Hotline Miami 2
    Omega Quintet
    Mortal Kombat X

It's posts like this that remind me what saving for a wedding is costing me :( another 18 months of depending on birthdays and Xmas's to get games!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

RedXIV wrote: »
    It's posts like this that remind me what saving for a wedding is costing me :( another 18 months of depending on birthdays and Xmas's to get games!

By then you just won't enjoy them anymore... :(
    Go on... You know you want to...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just got invited to Planetside 2 beta for PS4. Just in time before I was convinced to get The order just to see what all the bad reviews are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

irishmover wrote: »
    Just got invited to Planetside 2 beta for PS4. Just in time before I was convinced to get The order just to see what all the bad reviews are about.

Yeah I just got an email with my beta key too. Seems they are doing a big send out of them again. Weird thing is I don't even remember signing up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Xenji wrote: »
    It was down to $24.00 last weekend on a flash sale, the servers are fine, have been playing Guilty Gear Xrd with no lag.

Caved and bought it, hope it's good have been meaning to pick it up since release but sided with Far Cry 4 instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Any spare planetside betas going anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Went to redeem the beta code and no dice. On US account and its not working. Turns out the current batch of coded are faulty. Hope they fix it soon....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement