Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Decided to take my piece of junk PS4 back to argos.
    Last wednesday it started switching itself off and on, getting stuck in safe mode etc. Thursday evening I removed and reinserted the hard drive, did a reinstall of the firmware, and worked ok for a few hours that night. Thought it might have been cured, went away for the weekend and just tried it for the first time since, played resogun fine for 20 mins or so, then bang same thing. So its just been packed up in a rage now.

My question, has anyone had to bring back a faulty PS4 to Argos? Any trouble getting a replacement from them? I'm still just under 30 days since purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Last wednesday it started switching itself off and on, getting stuck in safe mode etc. Thursday evening I removed and reinserted the hard drive, did a reinstall of the firmware, and worked ok for a few hours that night. Thought it might have been cured, went away for the weekend and just tried it for the first time since, played resogun fine for 20 mins or so, then bang same thing. So its just been packed up in a rage now.

My question, has anyone had to bring back a faulty PS4 to Argos? Any trouble getting a replacement from them? I'm still just under 30 days since purchase.

I am pretty sure electronics are excluded from the 30day back warrentee
    so you probably won't get a replacement
    maybe a refund or they will **** it back too sony for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I am pretty sure electronics are excluded from the 30day back warrentee
    so you probably won't get a replacement
    maybe a refund or they will **** it back too sony for you

Three R's of buying stuff, repair, replace, refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

cloud493 wrote: »
    Three R's of buying stuff, repair, replace, refund.

well hopefully they have a replacement in the store so (don't forget about changing your ownership either on the console)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Just spotted this, despite being cheesy!....it does highlight further uses for the PS4 Camera.....which i have had unplugged since launch night :o

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/02/03/ps4-camera-exclusive-commander-cherrys-puzzled-journey-wants-your-body/

If its a free PS+ game, OK....hopefully we'll see more use or more interesting uses of the camera and not have it collecting dust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

^ on a positive note....the new 1.60 firmware brings camera mute, a must imo!....as often you can hear some bizarre crap going on, i've overheard several couples fighting....a one eejit had Rick Astley on repeat just to troll people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

This happened to me and another chap on boards. There is something definitely going on as mine also just switched off randomly after 20mins and started into safe mode when switched on again. Mine was collected by Sony last Tuesday and I'm still waiting for a replacement.

I'm not wanting to freak people out but there has to be something dodgey going on if three people on boards alone have the same prob?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Argos' "Electronics excluded from money back guarantee" is only that they do not provide a cash refund for instances of dis satisfaction with the product.

With a faulty good under the consumer act, the retailer may decide to provide a full refund. Your options here are the following, but note this is at the retailers discretion

1) Provide a replacement product for the damaged item. Your contract is with the retailer, not Sony. This is typically the done thing in most cases, bar some items. The retailer CANNOt fob you off to the manufacturer. You are under no obligation legally to do this, and the store ARE LEGALLY required to deal with the situation.

In some isolated cases, manufacturers will advise retailers to direct customers to them, as they maintain a detailed database of errors, issues and potential recalls. These are at present Microsft, Apple and Dyson.

If the retailer advises you , you need to speak to Sony, first remind them of their obligation under the consumer act from providing the product to you, under contract of your receipt for which you exchanged payment. Secondly advise that Sony have no declaration that they have a dedicated support and repair service by which they instruct retailers to direct issues, and finally request to see clearly where in store it is advertised that the retailer do not deal with issues with Sony products, as you were not advised upon purchase

2) The second option available is a repair. This involves the retailer marking the item for repair and then forwarding to their wholesaler, who then forwards the item onto the dedicated repair centre for that particular product. Note that in 99.8% of occasions where the product is NOT Apple, Microsoft or Dyson, that when this occurs, central distribution will send a replacement back to the store. There are cases when it does happen, but not frequently in my experience.

3) Finally the option available to retailers is providing a refund. This is normally done when the retailer cannot complete options 1 or 2. Note that this has to be via the METHOD of payment you provided. Vouchers is not acceptable, and the legal obligiation is a return of the payment via method first provided.

It's important to remember during all of this, that the retailer has the choice of option, not the consumer. It is also extremely important to maintain a calm and understanding manner when dealing with the staff of the retailer. They didn't break your product, it's not their fault.

Being calm and mannerly will get you a good result, being a dick will have staff do the most roundabout of process in order to simply just give you two fingers.

Advise when you enter that you purchased the console within the last 30 days and the item is faulty. You've consulted the Sony support website and troubleshooting steps have not resolve, and as per their website it outlines they do not operate a service similar to Microsoft for Xbox, and that issues with faulty consoles must first be dealt with at the retailer.

Outline your expectations that you would ideally like the console replaced as it is a high value entertainment product that has failed. And let them make the decision. With stock being plentiful now, their should be no major issues.

During the original Xbox launch I had 6 replacements within Argos. They were mighty helpful, and took ownership of dealing with the issue instore rather then having me go through the MS process as they should have.

You can of course get somewhat insistent if the option provided isn't satisfactory, but make sure its calm and constructive. I simply wouldn't accept anything less then a replacement for an item I shelled 400 euro out on less then a month ago, but it's about how you go about dealing with it.

Thanks TheDoc, that's a great post. Hopefully get to call in to Argos at lunchtime today.

One thing I just realised, I forgot/wasn't able to remove my account/personal details from the console :s

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Thanks TheDoc, that's a great post. Hopefully get to call in to Argos at lunchtime today.

One thing I just realised, I forgot/wasn't able to remove my account/personal details from the console :s

If you ring sony they'll do that for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Trying to Decide if Thief would be worth while to get as i can get it online for 40 euros and i really dont know will i play it ?

As i am trying to hold out for the reviews on it but for 40 euros is it to good to turn done ?

As 2nd son and FF10 HD out the next month dont wont to be spending to much money on games :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Trying to Decide if Thief would be worth while to get as i can get it online for 40 euros and i really dont know will i play it ?

As i am trying to hold out for the reviews on it but for 40 euros is it to good to turn done ?

As 2nd son and FF10 HD out the next month dont wont to be spending to much money on games :rolleyes:

It is a pain Infamous and FF X HD are out the same day but these games will last me months.

Thief looks interesting but I will wait until later in the year to get it like I will with Tomb Raider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Lucreto wrote: »
    It is a pain Infamous and FF X HD are out the same day but these games will last me months.

Thief looks interesting but I will wait until later in the year to get it like I will with Tomb Raider.

There the same day crap LoL. I will be getting FF X HD on the Vita anyway as i like playing a RPG on a handheld a lot more as you can pick up and put down anytime you wont. So get to play it when i am board in class in college ;)

But Infamous i can't wait just need to find the cheapest place to get it online

I used Simply games for Tomb Raider worked out 42 euros posted with parcel motel with them so i am thinking i might go that way with infamous as i got the game a day before it was out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Very informative post and handy stuff to know.
    Just wondering what's the story with defective goods that are outside of the 30 day, but within the 12 month guarantee?

TheDoc wrote: »
    Argos' "Electronics excluded from money back guarantee" is only that they do not provide a cash refund for instances of dis satisfaction with the product.

With a faulty good under the consumer act, the retailer may decide to provide a full refund. Your options here are the following, but note this is at the retailers discretion

1) Provide a replacement product for the damaged item. Your contract is with the retailer, not Sony. This is typically the done thing in most cases, bar some items. The retailer CANNOt fob you off to the manufacturer. You are under no obligation legally to do this, and the store ARE LEGALLY required to deal with the situation.

In some isolated cases, manufacturers will advise retailers to direct customers to them, as they maintain a detailed database of errors, issues and potential recalls. These are at present Microsft, Apple and Dyson.

If the retailer advises you , you need to speak to Sony, first remind them of their obligation under the consumer act from providing the product to you, under contract of your receipt for which you exchanged payment. Secondly advise that Sony have no declaration that they have a dedicated support and repair service by which they instruct retailers to direct issues, and finally request to see clearly where in store it is advertised that the retailer do not deal with issues with Sony products, as you were not advised upon purchase

2) The second option available is a repair. This involves the retailer marking the item for repair and then forwarding to their wholesaler, who then forwards the item onto the dedicated repair centre for that particular product. Note that in 99.8% of occasions where the product is NOT Apple, Microsoft or Dyson, that when this occurs, central distribution will send a replacement back to the store. There are cases when it does happen, but not frequently in my experience.

3) Finally the option available to retailers is providing a refund. This is normally done when the retailer cannot complete options 1 or 2. Note that this has to be via the METHOD of payment you provided. Vouchers is not acceptable, and the legal obligiation is a return of the payment via method first provided.

It's important to remember during all of this, that the retailer has the choice of option, not the consumer. It is also extremely important to maintain a calm and understanding manner when dealing with the staff of the retailer. They didn't break your product, it's not their fault.

Being calm and mannerly will get you a good result, being a dick will have staff do the most roundabout of process in order to simply just give you two fingers.

Advise when you enter that you purchased the console within the last 30 days and the item is faulty. You've consulted the Sony support website and troubleshooting steps have not resolve, and as per their website it outlines they do not operate a service similar to Microsoft for Xbox, and that issues with faulty consoles must first be dealt with at the retailer.

Outline your expectations that you would ideally like the console replaced as it is a high value entertainment product that has failed. And let them make the decision. With stock being plentiful now, their should be no major issues.

During the original Xbox launch I had 6 replacements within Argos. They were mighty helpful, and took ownership of dealing with the issue instore rather then having me go through the MS process as they should have.

You can of course get somewhat insistent if the option provided isn't satisfactory, but make sure its calm and constructive. I simply wouldn't accept anything less then a replacement for an item I shelled 400 euro out on less then a month ago, but it's about how you go about dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Couple of questions...

1. Is the PS4 in regular stock in any retailers in Dublin now?
    2. Is it worth holding off? i.e; is there still a load of teething issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's in stock now, yeah. Haven't had any problems with mine, touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

.ak wrote: »
    1. Is the PS4 in regular stock in any retailers in Dublin now?

I don't live in Dublin so I can't be sure but as far as I am aware, it is in stock in most places.
    2. Is it worth holding off? i.e; is there still a load of teething issues?

There are small number of hardware issues but to be honest, it doesn't look like that figure will decrease further over the PS4 life cycle as the issues don't appear to be design-related.

The only reason I would hold off is if there are no games that immediately interest you. Personally, I have enjoyed the catalog of games available, like Resogun, Assassin's Creed, Trine 2, FIFA 14 etc. There are also some games I'm excited about coming out soon, like inFamous: Second Son, DriveClub, Watch_Dogs and The Witness.

Thanks. Yeah, wanted to pick up AC anyway.

What about the thing with the left analog stock fading away real quick? That seems to be a design issue no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I am very wary about Thief, even up till this month the game was in a bit of chaos, things being taken out, others fighting to have the things kept in, the game mechanics being changed constantly and the Eidos Montreal staff not being able to agree on much. Hopefully it will end up being a great game, but I am not gonna get it on launch till I have heard more peoples impressions of it.

.ak wrote: »
    What about the thing with the left analog stock fading away real quick? That seems to be a design issue no?

More of a materials issue I think. A different composite would fix that and I hope Sony have already made the change in the background. TBH it is a minor issue as you can quite easily get it replaced at the shop.

If you are worried, there are some covers you can get for the sticks which will protect them in the long run.

• Advertisement

Well I have to say Argos were excellent, went in at lunchtime, explained the issue, had one look in the box and give me a replacement there and then. Painless!

It is looking very good visually, but gonna wait and see how it plays before going out and getting it.

If you have the balls for it :p somebody is playing the PS4 version of Outlast on Twitch now

http://www.twitch.tv/scatigno

Well I have to say Argos were excellent, went in at lunchtime, explained the issue, had one look in the box and give me a replacement there and then. Painless!

So, Argos a good retailer to deal with incase of returns? Think I'll pick one up tomorrow. :)

Xenji wrote: »
    If you have the balls for it :p somebody is playing the PS4 version of Outlast on Twitch now

http://www.twitch.tv/scatigno

e4872b5d9a59ea129c642fda613a5ea496810457e8172373b46fb2ab19f0c434.jpg

When is Outlast out, tomorrow?

Grayditch wrote: »
    When is Outlast out, tomorrow?

US today, tomorrow for the rest of us.

Can't wait.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Can't wait.

Gonna wait till it is nice and dark outside and get the headphones on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Outlast is INTENSE!! I have it on the PC, cant wait to see what it is like on the PS!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement