Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

[RangeR]

PS4 desperately needs media playback capabilities of the PS3.

Let me play local and NAS DivX.
    Let me play from a DNLA server.
    Let me play my own music and not from Unlimited subscription.
    Would be fuppin brilliant to have Google Music and Spotify apps but this is VERY unlikely in their walled garden.

Why does it though?

Your own music, I get - I'd say that will be very soon tbh....

I don't get why people want their 400 quid consoles to do all that stuff, if it is so important you should not have gotten rid of your PS3, or just plug your laptop into the TV?

I use Google Music over Unlimited also and I know it's never gonna be on PS4, tried it through the browser and it did not work either.... (I have a Chromecast that does that anyway)

DivX rips? I can't remember the last time I downloaded one personally, most dl's in most cases are MKV or .H264 these days...

I have a decent enough TV that I plug my external Hd into for rips and dls, no cinavia bull****, everything works...

I'm sure DNLA will come down the line, I wouldn't expect it til at least E3 or at least an announcement about it then...

I don't mean this post to sound antagonistic but a lot of this stuff you need can be done via a 50 quid Android TV dongle or laptop or trusty PS3... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, I can't imagine Sony's main priority is to allow people to play their illegally downloaded video content. And further TBH, one can hardly blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Fieldog wrote: »
    [RangeR]

Why does it though?

Your own music, I get - I'd say that will be very soon tbh....

I don't get why people want their 400 quid consoles to do all that stuff, if it is so important you should not have gotten rid of your PS3, or just plug your laptop into the TV?

I use Google Music over Unlimited also and I know it's never gonna be on PS4, tried it through the browser and it did not work either.... (I have a Chromecast that does that anyway)

DivX rips? I can't remember the last time I downloaded one personally, most dl's in most cases are MKV or .H264 these days...

I have a decent enough TV that I plug my external Hd into for rips and dls, no cinavia bull****, everything works...

I'm sure DNLA will come down the line, I wouldn't expect it til at least E3 or at least an announcement about it then...

I don't mean this post to sound antagonistic but a lot of this stuff you need can be done via a 50 quid Android TV dongle or laptop or trusty PS3... :)

I've used the Android Dongles. They are, in effect, shoite and finicky [compared to PS3/4]. I also have a PS3 and 90% of it's use is audio/video playback.

I want the PS4 to be a totally capable Home Entertainment device, not just games and.or paywall. If I wanted that, I'd get an iDevice *shudder*

In short..... I want my 400 quid console to do all that stuff.

TBH, I can't imagine Sony's main priority is to allow people to play their illegally downloaded video content. And further TBH, one can hardly blame them.

I'm sure Sony and the motion picture association really don't want all these type of files being played back on the console...

I'm old enough though to remember the initial fear of divx ruining the cinema industry and flash forward a few years after and your DVD player and consoles ended up supporting it....

I remember around the PS2 era spending 80 quid on a dvd player from US that did Divx just so I could watch episodes of south park and family guy... :)

I wish they would do the same for MKV but its a dodgy Russian codec.... ;-)

RangeR wrote: »
    I've used the Android Dongles. They are, in effect, shoite and finicky [compared to PS3/4]. I also have a PS3 and 90% of it's use is audio/video playback.

I want the PS4 to be a totally capable Home Entertainment device, not just games and.or paywall. If I wanted that, I'd get an iDevice *shudder*

In short..... I want my 400 quid console to do all that stuff.

Horses for courses man, I don't want or need my games machine to be an all in one entertainment centre, if I did, I would have bought an Xbox One... (*Shudders*)

The Android dongles have really come along in the last couple of months, initially with the 256/512mb of the early MK808 type models they were horrible to use, so slow!

The newer variants with 2 or 3gb of Ram are decent when combined with a proper wireless mouse and keyboard (not the shoddy remote Bluetooth yokes you can buy for them)

Bang a custom Rom and remove all the Chinese stuff and you have a very capable little machine for your NAS stuff...

Edit : just to add, for DNLA try Plex with PS4, and use it through browser...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

none of those updates are of any use to me either, still missing resume/pause downloads, show friend notifications on sign-in and of course all the usb stuff. A few extra apps would have been nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Gonzo wrote: »
    none of those updates are of any use to me either, still missing resume/pause downloads, show friend notifications on sign-in and of course all the usb stuff. A few extra apps would have been nice as well.

Yeah, nothing of interest for me in that update either. The PS4 just feels underwhelming to me right now. People getting excited about a few bread&butter features that we should of had from day 1. A tune In and Youtube app wouldn't hurt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

nocoverart wrote: »
    Yeah, nothing of interest for me in that update either. The PS4 just feels underwhelming to me right now. People getting excited about a few bread&butter features that we should of had from day 1. A tune In and Youtube app wouldn't hurt though.

Dimming the DS4's lightbar is a great feature, hopefully wont have to charge it so often.. and theres that "deep color output" option that sounds good, will have to see if it does anything on my TV.

But seriously, if the PS4 feels underwhelming to you, no firmware update feature is going to make a difference. we need more games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Horses for courses man, I don't want or need my games machine to be an all in one entertainment centre, if I did, I would have bought an Xbox One... (*Shudders*)

You know little about the xbox one then, as it has similar media functionality to the ps4 - limited. :pac:

The media side of things isn't at all a deal breaker for me, but I'm coming more from an energy usage point of view - it makes very little sense to use something as power hungry as the ps4/xbox one just to play some vids.

Dimming the DS4's lightbar is a great feature, hopefully wont have to charge it so often.. and theres that "deep color output" option that sounds good, will have to see if it does anything on my TV.

But seriously, if the PS4 feels underwhelming to you, no firmware update feature is going to make a difference. we need more games.

The LED on the lightbar consumes something like .05ma of power, so even dimming it won't make a bit of a blind bit of difference to battery life, theoretically the LED inside could last 500 hours if the controller wasn't doing anything else...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

1. Sony don't make apps belonging to other companies, it's their job to get them out to you.
    2. Sony said the ps4 is a gaming console, not an entertainment system.
    3. As fieldog has already mentioned, plex does work with the PS4 browser.
    4. I hear it also pushes party chat limit to 16 players not just 8, great news for clans.
    5. Most smart tv's out nowdays have DNLA support, so i use that as one device not needing to turn on ps4 or ps3 just to use it.
    6. Sharefactory is great.
    7. Go to http://www.youtube.com/tv on ps4 browser = ps3 youtube app.

You know little about the xbox one then, as it has similar media functionality to the ps4 - limited. :pac:

The media side of things isn't at all a deal breaker for me, but I'm coming more from an energy usage point of view - it makes very little sense to use something as power hungry as the ps4/xbox one just to play some vids.

Oh I know all about Xbox One, having worked for them up until last month...

Hence buying the PS4.... :-)

Working for them and their ever changing disastrous policies would put anyone off... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Dimming the light bar isn't going to increase the battery life in any measurable way, the only thing it does is help those who's TV screens are glossy and reflect the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Are you kidding me ? then wth is using up the DS4's battery so quickly ? (compared to the DS3)

Are you kidding me ? then wth is using up the DS4's battery so quickly ? (compared to the DS3)

They put less of a battery in to cut costs!

If your handy with stuff like that and have a spare DS3, have a read of this...

http://www.psu.com/a022202/Extend-PS4s-DualShock-4-battery-life-without-modding

I would do it but I have 2 controllers and I've already had them both replaced by Sony....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Can someone check that their 'Players Met' function is or isn't working?

I've been unable to see my recent players met after games of FIFA for about 2 weeks now.

Thought the update may have fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Going to get tired of the new notifications for friends, 2000 people and you're getting told when each one joins a party and more.

Batesy wrote: »

I've been unable to see my recent players met after games of FIFA for about 2 weeks now.

Depends on the game, on BF3 it works but on War Thunder it does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

The main feature I want from SONY is great AAA games. Anything else is a bonus. I would love to stream my ps4 games to through my ps3 so I could play in two rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,750 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Damn being away from my PS4 all week
    JamboMac wrote: »
    give me the updates so I can stream from TV sites, this is the most needed update.

This is the first I have ever heard anybody mention it.

Batesy wrote: »

Friends list bug is still there...

Every time I turn on my PS4 it tells me my missus is online playing GTAV on PS3, where in reality she is in work.... or asleep beside me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

finally got my 2nd controller i like the red one. got it off play-asia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Awesome....Spelunky is coming soon to PS4

I'm still addicted to it on the Vita, and even better...."If you already bought Spelunky on PS3 and PS Vita, thank you so much! You’ll also own the game on PS4 when it comes out, since we’re including it as part of Cross-Buy." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Sky Go and Now TV coming to PS4 this summer
    Sky and Sony Computer Entertainment UK have struck an agreement to make Sky Go and NOW TV available on PlayStation®4 (PS4™). Customers will be able to watch NOW TV on the PS4 from this summer with Sky Go becoming available later this year.
    The deal means NOW TV customers will be able to connect their PS4 to their TV and home Wi-Fi to watch NOW TV content on their main TV as part of their subscriptions. Meanwhile Sky TV customers will be able to watch TV from Sky Go on a PlayStation®3 (PS3™) or PS4 for the first time.

Good news.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Otacon wrote: »

That is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Otacon wrote: »

Yes Yes Yes. The only reason I owned an Xbox was for Sky Go. Brilliant News :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Am I mistaken, but don't you have to pay extra for sky go now? Whenever I see ads for it it's like an extra €10 a month or something to get it on your phone or tablet

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Am I mistaken, but don't you have to pay extra for sky go now? Whenever I see ads for it it's like an extra €10 a month or something to get it on your phone or tablet

You pay for one but the other is included in a subscription. Parents recently got the Movie channels in so when this does go ahead it'll be handy for those aswell as some of the HBO stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Is Ireland getting sky go? All i have read so far is UK.

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Is Ireland getting sky go? All i have read so far is UK.

Even if we don't I imagine that like Hulu and other US services all it'll take is the creation of a UK PSN account

• Advertisement

Even if we don't I imagine that like Hulu and other US services all it'll take is the creation of a UK PSN account

Doubt it, Sky are fairly good geo-locking stuff...

Sky player won't work outside the UK or Ireland on Xbox, no matter what DNS trickery you try....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement