Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban rickshaws

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyway heres hoping the by-laws clear up the insurance/regulation grey area
    I'm not sure if they can tbh. To require them to be insured would require a change in the road traffic act to include them as one of the types of vehicles that explicitly require insurance.

I guess DCC could pass a bye-law which required operators to be registered and insured, but the scope for enforcement would be somewhat limited.

I think nothing more than some simple enforcement might sort out the bulk of the issue for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

neckedit wrote: »
    You Could say the same of cyclists....... Bar the passenger thing.....

Yes, bar the most important point BY FAR.

Launching an object into space is easy........ bar the gravity thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

From my experience with them, I think their potential to cause damage far outweighs the negligible benefit that they provide.
    Can't see why DCC don't move to ban them from pedestrianised streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Find it hard to believe anyone could think they wouldn't be absolutely mangled if they got hit by a rickshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

The footpaths are already choked with pedestrians bc of the Luas works and the huge numbers of tourists and language students in town. Like others in the thread have noted, the rickshaw guys are tearing through crowds of people ON the footpaths. It's so dangerous. Interestingly, the company doesn't have a Facebook page, so you can't leave them a bad review. I sent them an email to make a complaint about their drivers on the footpaths, but got no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The anguished and distressed hand wringing on this thread is just ridiculous.

Lets ban everything before someone breaks a finger nail. Go back to your safety nets lads, the rickshaws are grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Honestly, why would you give a sh*t about these things? Have you all nothing better to worry about? Seriously? "What if someone breaks an arm". Mother of Mercy... BAN BAN BAN

We'll agree to disagree. They should not be cycling on crowded footpaths. Period.

I've no beef with them fwiw but it would still wreck you to get hit by one

cactusgal wrote: »
    We'll agree to disagree. They should not be cycling on crowded footpaths. Period.

Period? What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Wait... People ACTUALLY use these as a form of transport? I thought their only job was to sell pills outside Pygmalion!

CWF wrote: »
    Wait... People ACTUALLY use these as a form of transport? I thought their only job was to sell pills outside Pygmalion!

lol, been there done that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The anguished and distressed hand wringing on this thread is just ridiculous.

Lets ban everything before someone breaks a finger nail. Go back to your safety nets lads, the rickshaws are grand.
    Honestly, why would you give a sh*t about these things? Have you all nothing better to worry about? Seriously? "What if someone breaks an arm". Mother of Mercy... BAN BAN BAN

To be honest if one of these things hit you at speed it will do more than break a arm or finger nail

• Registered Users Posts: 23,525 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BeerNut wrote: »
    As I understand it, if the power only kicks in when the user is pedalling, and stops when they stop, then it is not mechanically propelled.

Privided that the motor can't exceed 25kmh and the motor is less than 250W

To be honest if one of these things hit you at speed it will do more than break a arm or finger nail

Same with a skateboard, bike, unicycle, tandem, wheelchair etc... It's a busy city with rick-shaws, we don't want to start going down the road of banning things just in case something bad happens. Dublin's always been a relaxed city, leave it that way. Go to Galway if you want a nanny city that bans things in case something happens.

Same with a skateboard, bike, unicycle, tandem, wheelchair etc... It's a busy city with rick-shaws, we don't want to start going down the road of banning things just in case something bad happens. Dublin's always been a relaxed city, leave it that way. Go to Galway if you want a nanny city that bans things in case something happens.

A skateboard or bike is not carrying 3+ people :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I don't have a major problem with them being on the roads in Dublin - the problem is that they tear around the place on footpaths / pedestrian streets, and I suspect you would end up fairly mangled if you were hit by one going at full tilt with passengers on board. I'm pretty sure this is already technically banned, but it's unenforced.

If you had to be run over by a rickshaw or run over by a wheelchair which one would you pick do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

I remember hearing if a girl who was swxually assualted by one of those drivers afew years ago. Unless theyre regulated they shouldnt be doing business. Shure the first bum off a boat could start doing it otherwise

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    If you had to be run over by a rickshaw or run over by a wheelchair which one would you pick do you think?

Neither. And It's unlikely to happen and probably hasn't happened. Ever...You know you're more likely to be run over by a car in any major urban centre?

Do you want to ban cars?
    shane9689 wrote: »
    I remember hearing if a girl who was swxually assualted by one of those drivers afew years ago. Unless theyre regulated they shouldnt be doing business. Shure the first bum off a boat could start doing it otherwise

Is this just "I remember hearing of a girl that was sexually assualted by one of those drivers a few years ago" bullseet talk? Or did someone tell you about it that came off the same boat that you arrived on?

Stick a report up here about it, it would make very interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Neither. And It's unlikely to happen and probably hasn't happened. Ever...You know you're more likely to be run over by a car in any major urban centre?

Do you want to ban cars?
    Way to dodge a very simple question.
    I'll make it easier for you, would you rather be hit had a smaller or a larger force?
    And no, neither isn't an acceptable answer.

Do you want to ban cars?

Just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen. Look we are not saying they should be banned, we are staying they shouldn't be allowed on footpaths etc

Just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen. Look we are not saying they should be banned, we are staying they shouldn't be allowed on footpaths etc

Look at the title of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you want to ban cars?

Do cars drive on pavements without insurance the majority of the time?

L1011 wrote: »
    Do cars drive on pavements without insurance the majority of the time?

Over 120,000 drivers have no insurance, and judging by the number parked on pavements, unless dropped there by helicopter, many of them seem to drive on pavements fairly regularly.

Look at the title of the thread.

The title is a clickbait, most most just want them to be regulated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Augme

The title is a clickbait, most most just want them to be regulated

Why? Sounds like another waste of time and money for the tax-payer.

Augme wrote: »
    Why? Sounds like another waste of time and money for the tax-payer.

Regulate them so that they're not allowed to cycle on footpaths, which are for pedestrians.

• Advertisement

cactusgal wrote: »
    Regulate them so that they're not allowed to cycle on footpaths, which are for pedestrians.

There is already laws that ban cycling on footpaths. We need more enforcement, not regulation.

Advertisement