Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban rickshaws

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

they're running profitable business which are not regulated.

Should be ban of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

fleex wrote: »
    they're running profitable business which are not regulated.

Should be ban of course.

There are loads of profitable businesses not regulated - tattoo parlours, nail salons, hardware shops, kids party entertainers - should they all be banned too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

shane9689 wrote: »
    I remember hearing if a girl who was swxually assualted by one of those drivers afew years ago. Unless theyre regulated they shouldnt be doing business. Shure the first bum off a boat could start doing it otherwise

I remember hearing if a girl who was sexually assaulted by someone who wasn't one of those drivers a few years ago.

Honestly I wonder how some people don't drown in their corn flakes in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who's Rick Shaw.

Who's Rick Shaw.

George Bernard's brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

I'm wondering if any insurance company would insure these, I'd imagine they'd run a mile away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

There are loads of profitable businesses not regulated - tattoo parlours, nail salons, hardware shops, kids party entertainers - should they all be banned too?

They are regulated as such, but most of them have a premises, assets and third party insurance. If I get injured in any of those businesses, it will be possible to sue. A kid party entertainer will more than likely have third party insurance. Most of these businesses pay their taxes to the state. Im sure all of them have proper records for tax auditing purposes

Where as I doubt a single rickshaw owner has a paid a cent to the state coffers from riding one. I seriously doubt a single rickshaw owner has third party insurance and I highly doubt a nail salon or a kid party entertainer is selling drugs as a side gig while on the job, which is the case for a lot of rickshaws

The fact is most people riding rickshaws are "English Language Students", Ill use that term lightly as a lot of just going to visa factories to work here. Their visa only entitles them to part time work during term time. How is it possible to enforce that if they are riding rickshaws without a paper trail?

Most businesses operating in "unregulated" industries here have some form of regulation whether it be having to keep records for revenue or following basic codes like health and safety. It isnt like the in the US, where there is BS "licensing" only designed to keep out new entrants eg you need to be "licensed" to be a florist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If a mobile nail salon started operating on grafton street, pissing up and down the road on a cargo bike full of their equipment and likely paying no taxes -then yeah, I think they should be banned too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

newacc2015 wrote: »
    They are regulated as such, but most of them have a premises, assets and third party insurance. If I get injured in any of those businesses, it will be possible to sue. A kid party entertainer will more than likely have third party insurance. Most of these businesses pay their taxes to the state. Im sure all of them have proper records for tax auditing purposes

Where as I doubt a single rickshaw owner has a paid a cent to the state coffers from riding one. I seriously doubt a single rickshaw owner has third party insurance and I highly doubt a nail salon or a kid party entertainer is selling drugs as a side gig while on the job, which is the case for a lot of rickshaws

The fact is most people riding rickshaws are "English Language Students", Ill use that term lightly as a lot of just going to visa factories to work here. Their visa only entitles them to part time work during term time. How is it possible to enforce that if they are riding rickshaws without a paper trail?

Most businesses operating in "unregulated" industries here have some form of regulation whether it be having to keep records for revenue or following basic codes like health and safety. It isnt like the in the US, where there is BS "licensing" only designed to keep out new entrants eg you need to be "licensed" to be a florist.

Sorry, but these businesses are not regulated. They may well have insurance, and I'd agree that they are more likely to have insurance than a rickshaw operator, and more likely to have paid paid their taxes, but there is no regulation of these businesses.

There are existing laws about tax fraud, social welfare fraud and student visa fraud, so let's ensure that existing laws are enforced before we go creating new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Back in the news again with several accidents over the Christmas period:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/my-tooth-ended-up-inside-my-lip-rickshaw-crash-victims-warn-people-of-the-potential-dangers-35287674.html
    A woman who was thrown head-first from a rickshaw after the driver collided with a footpath had to have surgery because her tooth ended up in her lip.
    GO TO
    “I got a rickshaw to the Spencer Dock area. I had my hand in my bag as I was taking out money to pay him and when he hit the kerb, I fell out and landed on my face," she told Independent.ie.
    “My lip was massive, I had a big gash underneath my nose and I also smashed a tooth. When everything healed over, I still had a lump in my lip. It turns out my tooth was in my lip and I had to have surgery to remove it.

“Obviously it was an accident and the driver was really apologetic, but I avoid them like the absolute plague now.

Another woman also fell out of a rickshaw head-first after her driver collided with another rickshaw.

“Me and my friend got a rickshaw home from Camden Street one night. I was going home to Harold’s Cross. It wasn’t that far a distance but we were finding it hard to get a taxi.
    “It was going really quick, as they normally do, and he crashed into another rickshaw which was coming out of one of the side roads.

“With the force of the impact, I went flying out of it head and hands first.”
    She then got a taxi to St James’ Hospital, where she waited in A&E until half eleven the next morning.
    Taxi drivers have also voiced their concerns about rickshaws, after witnessing a number of “near misses”.

“People think I’m being a stereotypical taxi driver if I comment, but I don’t mind competition once they comply with regulations," taxi man William O'Hara told Independent.ie.

"I’ve witnessed so many near misses and it is only a matter of time until someone is killed.

Jasko Sahitovic is another taxi man who has witnessed accidents involving rickshaws.
    "The rickshaw was coming up the Luas tracks towards Harcourt Street. He had three girls on board. He cut in front of all of the traffic, somehow the cars managed to miss him.

"The front wheel of the rickshaw then jammed in the Luas track, it overturned and all four people ended up on the street in front of cars. The rickshaw driver jumped up and cycled on, leaving the three girls in pain lying on the road."

I think some regulation of this is well overdue. Tax and insurance at a minimum IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Rates to the council as well , every taxi driver has to pay their way for a permit every year , every tattoo shop has to pay rates, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Back in the news again with several accidents over the Christmas period

I doubt they were all over the xmas period. In fact, I'd say none of them were. That's an Indo one prepped for the holiday season when no one wants to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

well they've passed an bill that says we will regulate, now we continue to wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

http://www.thejournal.ie/rickshaw-ban-proposal-3181321-Jan2017/

Dublin City Council hopes to have rickshaws banned this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

http://www.thejournal.ie/rickshaw-ban-proposal-3181321-Jan2017/

Dublin City Council hopes to have rickshaws banned this year.

Fingers crossed

We can't regulate rickshaws with motors', says council chief Keegan big deal made about rickshaw amendment that was passed except it was only in regards to non-motorised rickshaws for some reason https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2016-12-14a.637&s=motorised+NEAR+rickshaw#g662

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is Dublin, not Dhaka. No need for rickshaws here. They're a nuisance and are actually pretty dangerous.

We can't regulate rickshaws with motors', says council chief Keegan big deal made about rickshaw amendment that was passed except it was only in regards to non-motorised rickshaws for some reason https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2016-12-14a.637&s=motorised+NEAR+rickshaw#g662

I asked Imelda Munster TD about this and she said "Motorised vehicles are already covered under the act, and therefore we are unsure why the Minister and the National Transport Authority are allegedly claiming that the amendment is problematic."

Dept of Transport still delaying on rickshaws regulation https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2017-02-08a.886&s=rickshaws#g944 they have years stop saying your looking do to do something and do it prepare the legislation and pass it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

These things need to go before someone is killed.

The drivers behavior is simply outrageous .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Drug dealing rapists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Drug dealing rapists.

Drug dealing rapists.
    Drug dealing rapists.

Good point. I was worried the debate was getting a bit alarmist and off the point. Nice to have a bit of rationalism re-injected into things.

Good point. I was worried the debate was getting a bit alarmist and off the point. Nice to have a bit of rationalism re-injected into things.
    its not entirely off the point unfortunately

here is the NTA response to the council and the Dail amendment
    https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s9834/Item%2010%20ii%20Rickshaws%20Information%20Note.pdf
    The wording doesn’t allow the regulation of rickshaws with an electric motor. The most prevalent type of rickshaw has an electric motor which provides assistance to the person pedalling the rickshaw. Under the inserted amendment, this type of rickshaw would be outside the definition provided and would, therefore, remain unregulated, negating the objective of the amendment;
    but it doesn't address the response from Munster
    "Motorised vehicles are already covered under the act, and therefore we are unsure why the Minister and the National Transport Authority are allegedly claiming that the amendment is problematic."
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102493770&postcount=79

the amendments could well be badly drafted so why doesn't NTA come up something better that gets the regulation done?

its not entirely off the point unfortunately

here is the NTA response to the council and the Dail amendment
    https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s9834/Item%2010%20ii%20Rickshaws%20Information%20Note.pdf
    The wording doesn’t allow the regulation of rickshaws with an electric motor. The most prevalent type of rickshaw has an electric motor which provides assistance to the person pedalling the rickshaw. Under the inserted amendment, this type of rickshaw would be outside the definition provided and would, therefore, remain unregulated, negating the objective of the amendment;
    but it doesn't address the response from Munster
    "Motorised vehicles are already covered under the act, and therefore we are unsure why the Minister and the National Transport Authority are allegedly claiming that the amendment is problematic."
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102493770&postcount=79

the amendments could well be badly drafted so why doesn't NTA come up something better that gets the regulation done?
    Not really sure how any of that corroborates the claim that they are all rapists and drug dealers.

Even if they were all rapists and drug dealers, I haven't the faintest idea how banning them from riding rickshaws would stop them raping and drug dealing? Do they need the rickshaws to rape or deal drugs?

Not really sure how any of that corroborates the claim that they are all rapists and drug dealers.

Even if they were all rapists and drug dealers, I haven't the faintest idea how banning them from riding rickshaws would stop them raping and drug dealing? Do they need the rickshaws to rape or deal drugs?
    I did not say "they are all rapists and drug dealer" I just made a comment that what he said wasn't entirely irrelevant and unfortunately it isn't and then I provided by information relevant on the subject, how about you respond to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Do they need the rickshaws to rape or deal drugs?

Perhaps not to deal drugs, but a rickshaw is useful should you want to 'pedal' drugs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Should be banned imo

No call for that type of 'transport' in a city that isn't in the 3rd world

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It is a bit of a novelty but by god they should at a minimum all have to show plates/registration formats and all have testing and fully road legal.

From what I see most nights when driving through the city which is quite a lot they are very aggressive and extremely dangerous cycling out and going the wrong way against traffic even treating the roads and paths as race tracks.

Extremely surprised nobody has been killed or badly injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Extremely surprised nobody has been killed or badly injured.

I was about to ask, has anyone actually been injured?

They are a bit of a pain sometimes, but so are (in no order):

Cars, Other Peds, Cyclists, Dublin Bikers, Runners, Taxis etc..

Its a small city with a growing population, we all need to deal with that.

Advertisement