Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban rickshaws

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Yeah one guy in Dublin was badly injured and required brain surgery after a fight with a rickshaw driver. 

plus this http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/dublin-wives-dentist-in-rickshaw-accident-28960822.html
    and this 
    http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/rickshaw-crash-victim-warns-people-12378866

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

One rode down the footpath on O Connell bridge, across the pedestrian crossing on a red man, and purposely blocked my path onto Eden quay on Sat night. With 2 drunk idiots giving me the fingers in the back. I was driving a bus half full . It is stress I should not have to deal with. No respect for the law and down right rude. These guys are in self destruct mode if you ask me. If they refrained from acting like cockroaches, they may have a chance of saving their pityfull living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I like them, to see anyway - they add a touch of the exotic to Dublin. But do they all have motors? I thought they were mostly human-powered and non-polluting. Must have a shot of a one while they're still around if the council is going to shoo them away. What a pity.

Thomas D wrote: »
    Those with an abundance of cycle rickshaws are piss poor. I doubt you'll see many I'm Tokyo.

What you'll certainly see in Tokyo is incredible numbers of bicycles. Everyone cycles - 90-year-old great-grandmothers, babies on the back of their mothers' bikes, schoolkids, teens, working people, salarymen. It's just how you get around.
    Mr Simpson wrote: »
    It's time for zero tolerance on them imo. The absolute ridiculousness of some of them is incredible.

Down with ridiculousness!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Chuchote wrote: »
    I like them, to see anyway - they add a touch of the exotic to Dublin. But do they all have motors? I thought they were mostly human-powered and non-polluting. Must have a shot of a one while they're still around if the council is going to shoo them away. What a pity.

What you'll certainly see in Tokyo is incredible numbers of bicycles. Everyone cycles - 90-year-old great-grandmothers, babies on the back of their mothers' bikes, schoolkids, teens, working people, salarymen. It's just how you get around.

Down with ridiculousness!

The thing is if they were safe and weren't nuts like all the ones I see and I am in the city most days / nights.

They are racing and have no issue going against traffic wrong side up on foot paths and red lights mean nothing.
    Most are fitted with electric motor and good few with engines also.

Push bikes with these motors are whizzing around with little to no brakes, buckled wheels no lights and so on.

How nobody has been killed is mad as what I see I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,628 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They have no public liability insurance yet are carrying passengers for reward, how is that not stamped out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

139 people were killed by cars last year in Ireland. Nobody seems to have any figures for rickshaws, an educated guess would probably be zero. These rickshaw drivers are quite obviously self-indulgent smug pricks with a total disregard for pedestrians and supplying a demand that simply wouldn't exist without drunken ar$eh0les looking for a way to waste their money. But this notion that it's the possibility of them causing deaths that is the justification for banning them is complete sh1tetalk. Unless you're intending banning cars as well. Which would be much better for the city centre of Dublin than banning these gowls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

There's probably still legislation on the books covering the sedan chairs that were Dublin's 18th-century equivalent.

Most of the problems mentioned sound like they're caused not by the fact that these people drive rickshaws but by Dublin's highly unpleasant city centre drunkenness at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Chuchote wrote: »
    Most of the problems mentioned sound like they're caused not by the fact that these people drive rickshaws but by Dublin's highly unpleasant city centre drunkenness at night.

Nope. The problem is that rickshaws clog up the bike lanes and cycle on footpaths that are already chock full of pedestrians. Especially in areas where footpath and cycle lane space is already limited bc of Luas works.

That's just rickshaw drivers being ar*eholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

They should be banned off the streets until the gob****e that's operating them learns the rules of the road. They have no regard for road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They have no public liability insurance yet are carrying passengers for reward, how is that not stamped out?

Similar case for takeaway delivery drivers, gardai aren't arsed.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Similar case for takeaway delivery drivers, gardai aren't arsed.

That's changing as anything road related is now paying for their increase and overtime....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I can't believe this hasn't been stamped out yet.

Then on an article on the Journal a guy posts a comment with a 'documentary' of the rickshaw workers.

This documentary is an urgent call to action from the Irish government to create effective regulation to deal with rickshaw drivers and problems from racism, some abuse from few Garda members, and drugs selling creating a safe environment to the users of the rickshaw and decent human job conditions to the drivers.

This really irks me, they create a problem and then expect everyone else to sort it out.

http://www.thejournal.ie/rickshaws-warning-council-3434817-Jun2017/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Honestly lads yous are just unbelievable. BAN BAN BAN AGGHHH THEYRE SO IGNORANCE AND DANGEROUS.
    I have to put up with this sh*t all the time as a cyclist. Chill out. It's a few rickshaws going around town at night. One or two may do something stupid every now and again but so what, that's life! You know just being alive is dangerous? You could have an aneurysm or heart attack any minute now.
    Maybe you should all stay out of the city centre at night? You may also be stabbed by a junkie or be set upon by feral youths. Move to rural Ireland perhaps?
    I like them, I took one a couple of times and it was a bit of craic. Seriously, no wonder this place is a nanny state with whingers like yous when it comes to stuff like this.

Honestly lads yous are just unbelievable. BAN BAN BAN AGGHHH THEYRE SO IGNORANCE AND DANGEROUS.
    I have to put up with this sh*t all the time as a cyclist. Chill out. It's a few rickshaws going around town at night. One or two may do something stupid every now and again but so what, that's life! You know just being alive is dangerous? You could have an aneurysm or heart attack any minute now.
    Maybe you should all stay out of the city centre at night? You may also be stabbed by a junkie or be set upon by feral youths. Move to rural Ireland perhaps?
    I like them, I took one a couple of times and it was a bit of craic. Seriously, no wonder this place is a nanny state with whingers like yous when it comes to stuff like this.

More then one or two...

They are absolute lunatics and can do what they want it seems.

Well personally I've never seen any dangerous behaviour from them and I work in town and go out in town at least once a week.

I live in town and they are reckless.

One night going up to the 3 Arena was like being in Calcutta. Unbelievable behaviour.

They are not making any contribution to society in taxes or otherwise.

Ban them or heavily regulate them.
    Well personally I've never seen any dangerous behaviour from them and I work in town and go out in town at least once a week.

Can we ban and regulate junkies and drunks too while we're at it?

What have people with addictions got to do with this?

Can we ban and regulate junkies and drunks too while we're at it?

gizmo81 wrote: »

I just mean there are plenty of dangerous things on the streets, we can't ban everything. I don't have much else to add to this conversation. Maybe you should all go into politics so you can start banning the sh*t out of absolutely anything where someone might break a fingernail or get a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I live in town and they are reckless.

One night going up to the 3 Arena was like being in Calcutta. Unbelievable behaviour.

They are not making any contribution to society in taxes or otherwise.

Ban them or heavily regulate them.

No need to regulate, just require Public Liability insurance. They'll disappear.

• Advertisement

I don't think you'd be saying this if your child was involved in an accident with one of these.

They don't have insurance because they are probably not even supposed to be working as per their 'student visas'.

Rant alert:

I just find this behaviour, like Air BnB etc really annoying. People create a problem then expect the police to sort it out and society at large to accept it. It's not on!
    I just mean there are plenty of dangerous things on the streets, we can't ban everything. I don't have much else to add to this conversation. Maybe you should all go into politics so you can start banning the sh*t out of absolutely anything where someone might break a fingernail or get a fright.

I look at the sky at night and never saw a shooting star.

Do you drive through the city.
    I do daily numerous times and am sick to death with how crazy they are.

Think the worst case you have seen a cyclist doing mad things and multiply that a million times.

If you go out as you said you will have to come across them unless you are going to certain areas.

As above no tax paid on earnings.
    No insurance.
    If they crash or injure someone they just leave.

Many other issues.

They do not contribute only distribute so it seams and thats class A distribution.

Crayfish is probably riding one as we type.

Crayfish is probably riding one as we type.

No but I'm a cyclist and the hysteria over these things does my head in in this country. Best of luck with the ban.

No but I'm a cyclist and the hysteria over these things does my head in in this country. Best of luck with the ban.

Go into Georges st any night especially Thursday onwards and report back.

They will go up inside outside and eben trave l on complete opposite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

I don't think anyone else sounds hysterical apart from yourself?

I don't get your level of anger, but as a fellow cyclist, I agree with the others that rickshaw drivers are a right pain in the hole. Cycling on footpaths full of pedestrians, cutting off traffic, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

I don't think anyone wants to ban them, they just want them to be regulated

I am all for having the likes of cycling, rickshaws or anything that gets traffic off the roads but there is a right way and a wrong way but the rickshaws and how they are risen is a nightmare.

I look at every cyclist as one less car and a rickshaw is similar as it cuts out taxis doing silly stupid short runs a block or 2 up the road.

If they actually rode them safe and respected others they would in turn get more to be behind them.

I see them park up in groups and don't have any respect for any other road user taking up cycle lanes and parking on double yellows and corners and dumping them on footpaths.

I hope the council and gardai get their heads out of their holes and actually do something.

Also the cheap rubbish mountain bikes that are getting 50 to 80cc engines strapped to them.

These bikes are a danger and not designed for an engine or any other mods to do with them.

Most riding around with no lights and ordinary brakes which aren't capable to stop them at the speeds they can travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't think anyone wants to ban them, they just want them to be regulated
    The title of the thread is literally "time to ban rickshaws"

Advertisement