Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban rickshaws

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    They should be banned off the streets until the gob****e that's operating them learns the rules of the road. They have no regard for road safety.

Can we take the same approach for the 82% of motorists who break speed limits (RSA Speed Survey) and ban them off the streets until they learns the rules of the road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I don't think they should be banned, they're another way to get around the city.

Definitely should be regulated though. There is one company with insurance who also pays taxes and he can't compete with the others. Heard him on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Can we take the same approach for the 82% of motorists who break speed limits (RSA Speed Survey) and ban them off the streets until they learns the rules of the road?
    . Nope, not unless they drive like those idiots with rickshaws whilst they are at it.

. Nope, not unless they drive like those idiots with rickshaws whilst they are at it.
    Interesting, so motorists kill about 200 people each year, with speed being a major factor, but we need to ban rickshaws that kill about zero people each year, not motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Interesting, so motorists kill about 200 people each year, with speed being a major factor, but we need to ban rickshaws that kill about zero people each year, not motorists.

They use speed as it makes huge revenue.

Dangerous driving is what causes these collisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

people are saying they drive like lunatics, someone even said "wont someone think of the children" - have there actually been any serious accidents or injuries related to these things?

They're mostly operating at night when the roads are relatively quiet, there's a lot of pedestrians around anyway so drivers should be taking care and most of the city centre now has a 30km/h limit. I don't really see the problem - they've been around Dublin for 20 years or more. If they really are dealing drugs or dodging tax let the guards and the revenue look after that; it's not a reason to ban them all.

It's not speed that kills but being reckless with it. The rickshaws are being reckless and are a danger to themselves, their passengers and other road users. . If someone acts the maggot in a car it doesn't excuse someone acting the maggot with a rickshaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

loyatemu wrote: »
    people are saying they drive like lunatics, someone even said "wont someone think of the children" - have there actually been any serious accidents or injuries related to these things?

There have been plenty. People falling out the back of them at speed
    loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't really see the problem - they've been around Dublin for 20 years or more. If they really are dealing drugs or dodging tax let the guards and the revenue look after that; it's not a reason to ban them all.

The last 20 years? They have only been common in the last 3/4 years since all the English language students see it as a source of income. There might have been the odd one. But there was no 5/6 rickshaws at the bottom of Grafton St on Tuesday night

Why do you think we should keep them? We have taxis, you get the nightlink, walk, cycle etc. IMO there is little reason to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

keane2097 wrote: »
    I've no beef with them fwiw but it would still wreck you to get hit by one
    Would MIBI even cover the damages?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The last 20 years? They have only been common in the last 3/4 years since all the English language students see it as a source of income. There might have been the odd one. But there was no 5/6 rickshaws at the bottom of Grafton St on Tuesday night
    You're talking out your hole there now. I've been going out in Dublin since I started college, in 2000, and they were as common as **** in a field back then. Anyone claiming otherwise is telling a lie. As for the claim about people falling out the back of them, normally I'd take your word for it but since you believe they only became normal in Dublin in 2013 I don't believe a single word you write. So, evidence or gtfo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Why do you think we should keep them? We have taxis, you get the nightlink, walk, cycle etc. IMO there is little reason to have them.

It's supply and demand. If no one uses them they'll hardly hang around much longer. So maybe you can all just leave them to it and carry on living your lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They wouldn't be long going if taxis actually bothered picking up fellas on their own, refused by 4 taxis in last time in Dublin, wasn't falling around drunk rickshaw the only way to get back

They use speed as it makes huge revenue.

Dangerous driving is what causes these collisions.

Nah, not really - the Go Safe contract costs a lot more than it brings in through fines.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/speed-camera-contract-worth-115m-set-to-be-renewed-with-gosafe-1.2745263
    It's not speed that kills but being reckless with it. The rickshaws are being reckless and are a danger to themselves, their passengers and other road users. . If someone acts the maggot in a car it doesn't excuse someone acting the maggot with a rickshaw.

Speed kills. There is a direct coorelation between the speed of the vehicle and the damage done.

Rickshaws have been around for many years and have never been involved in any deaths.

But if you really are concerned about road safety and reducing the death toll on the roads, do something about the motorists that will kill four or five people this week and every week on the roads.

But if you really are concerned about road safety and reducing the death toll on the roads, do something about the motorists that will kill four or five people this week and every week on the roads.

No, these whingers would rather pick on soft targets like cyclists and rickshaws.

No, these whingers would rather pick on soft targets like cyclists and rickshaws.

Are you for real? Soft target? Have you actually seen how stupid some. Of these can be?

Nah, not really - the Go Safe contract costs a lot more than it brings in through fines.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/speed-camera-contract-worth-115m-set-to-be-renewed-with-gosafe-1.2745263

Speed kills. There is a direct coorelation between the speed of the vehicle and the damage done.

Rickshaws have been around for many years and have never been involved in any deaths.

I'm sure this thread is about rickshaws other modes of transport is irrelevant. You are either a cyclist or a rickshaw operator if you are turning a blind eye to the stupid manoveres some of them make.

I'm sure this thread is about rickshaws other modes of transport is irrelevant. You are either a cyclist or a rickshaw operator if you are turning a blind eye to the stupid manoveres some of them make.

I'd say people texting on their phones while driving is killing people probably on a weekly basis. I'm a cyclist and I can see motorists texting while driving constantly, or taking selfies. I just find it hilarious how people like George Hook go nuts on the radio about cyclists and rickshaws yet they're not actually causing any harm, or at most very little harm.

Are you for real? Soft target? Have you actually seen how stupid some. Of these can be?

Yep, soft target - literally correct. Cyclists are generally soft and spongy, and in the unlikely circumstance that they do hit a pedestrian, the damage is usually very minor. Unlike the cars and trucks that kill four or five people every week.

And yes, some cyclists are stupid on the roads, just like some pedestrians are stupid on the road and some rickshaw operators are stupid on the road and some motorists are stupid on the road - but only one of those groups kills four or five people on the road each week.

Why would 'being a cyclist' invalidate my opinion? You know that the vast majority of cyclists drive too, and so have a broader perspective on the roads than others.

Other modes of transport are not irrelevant. There are only so many staff available in Dept Transport and the NTA, and so many hours available in the Dáil for new legislation on Transport, so we need to prioritise. Is our priority going to be dealing with a matter which does NOT kill anyone (rickshaws) or dealing with the matters that kill four or five people each week (motorists).

I'd say people texting on their phones while driving is killing people probably on a weekly basis. I'm a cyclist and I can see motorists texting while driving constantly, or taking selfies. I just find it hilarious how people like George Hook go nuts on the radio about cyclists and rickshaws yet they're not actually causing any harm, or at most very little harm.

It's irrelevant and doesn't excuse the behaviour of what some of these idiots do.

Yep, soft target - literally correct. Cyclists are generally soft and spongy, and in the unlikely circumstance that they do hit a pedestrian, the damage is usually very minor. Unlike the cars and trucks that kill four or five people every week.

And yes, some cyclists are stupid on the roads, just like some pedestrians are stupid on the road and some rickshaw operators are stupid on the road and some motorists are stupid on the road - but only one of those groups kills four or five people on the road each week.

Why would 'being a cyclist' invalidate my opinion? You know that the vast majority of cyclists drive too, and so have a broader perspective on the roads than others.

Other modes of transport are not irrelevant. There are only so many staff available in Dept Transport and the NTA, and so many hours available in the Dáil for new legislation on Transport, so we need to prioritise. Is our priority going to be dealing with a matter which does NOT kill anyone (rickshaws) or dealing with the matters that kill four or five people each week (motorists).

So you have no issue of a rickshaw showing no regard to the rules of the road and other road users? I

• Advertisement

So you have no issue of a rickshaw showing no regard to the rules of the road and other road users? I

So you have no issue of the drivers who kill four or five people on the roads each week?

In terms of all the problems we have on our roads, where does this rickshaw issue come on your priority list of things to be fixed?

So you have no issue of the drivers who kill four or five people on the roads each week?

In terms of all the problems we have on our roads, where does this rickshaw issue come on your priority list of things to be fixed?

Start a thread about it, i might post in it.

Start a thread about it, i might post in it.

Why be so evasive? Here's the issue for this thread:

It doesn't matter it's a thread about rickshaws nothing else, Anyone having a total disregard for the rules of the road or road safety has no place on the road especially if they are doing it for hire regardless what mode of transport they operate. If someone in a car acts the maggot on the road. It's not a guideline for a clown on a rickshaw to go and do it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

It's supply and demand. If no one uses them they'll hardly hang around much longer. So maybe you can all just leave them to it and carry on living your lives?

There is a demand for heroin in the city. So maybe we can all just leave them to it and carry on living with our lives? Your point makes no sense. Are rickshaws providing a service taxi drivers can't (although taxi drivers aren't dealing out of their cars)?

Just because there is a demand, does not mean we should allow it. Would you be ok with people calling themselves taxidrivers, ferrying people around the city with no proper insurance, Garda vetting and no standards? Im sure there is a demand for illegal taxis, should we just permit them?

The fact is one of these rickshaw drivers is going to seriously injure someone someday. Entire crashing into a car or someone falling out the back. If you get run over by one, are you seriously going to think it was fine?

It doesn't matter it's a thread about rickshaws nothing else, Anyone having a total disregard for the rules of the road or road safety has no place on the road especially if they are doing it for hire regardless what mode of transport they operate. If someone in a car acts the maggot on the road. It's not a guideline for a clown on a rickshaw to go and do it as well.

So you're not going to answer the priority question then. I wonder why?

So you're not going to answer the priority question then. I wonder why?

I've already answered it. Do you think that rickshaws should be allowed to ignore all the rules of the road and drive in any direction they want?

I've already answered it.
    You haven't really. You've avoided giving a straight answer because it exposes the weakness of your argument.
    Do you think that rickshaws should be allowed to ignore all the rules of the road and drive in any direction they want?

I think that the attention of our regulators, our legislators and our enforcers should be focused on the real problems on the road - particularly the killing of four or five people each week by motorists. When we get that sorted we can come back and worry about rickshaws, jaywalkers, people who spit out their chewing gum and other very minor issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

You haven't really. You've avoided giving a straight answer because it exposes the weakness of your argument.

I think that the attention of our regulators, our legislators and our enforcers should be focused on the real problems on the road - particularly the killing of four or five people each week by motorists. When we get that sorted we can come back and worry about rickshaws, jaywalkers, people who spit out their chewing gum and other very minor issues.

Do you think it's OK for rickshaw drivers to cycle on footpaths that are full of pedestrians? Many of them older folks and children? On footpaths where space is already restricted due to Luas works around College Green?

Is that OK?

• Advertisement

cactusgal wrote: »
    Do you think it's OK for rickshaw drivers to cycle on footpaths that are full of pedestrians? Many of them older folks and children? On footpaths where space is already restricted due to Luas works around College Green?

Is that OK?

Are there loads of older folks and children out on the pavements at rickshaw peak operating hours (11pm to 3am)?

How many people have been killed or seriously injured by rickshaw riders in the past 20 years or so?

Advertisement