Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban rickshaws

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I've seen a couple of stories from people who have had exactly that situation - burglars in the house and Gardai unable to respond. It is not pretty, but it happens.

That's the reality of prioritising with limited resources.

Was that because the Gardai were busy out with the hair dryer trying to reduce road deaths? Trying to reduce the 3/4 road deaths per week and all...(which you did not produce the year of by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Trying to reduce the 3/4 road deaths per week and all...(which you did not produce the year of by the way)
    It's every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Letter dated 16th June, 2017, from Private Secretary to the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport regarding the regulation of rickshaws https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s11643/Letter%20dated%2016th%20June%202017%20from%20Private%20Secretary%20to%20Minister%20for%20Transport%20regarding%20regulation%20.pdf they are still working on a new bill but atleast this time the fleshed it out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Letter dated 16th June, 2017, from Private Secretary to the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport regarding the regulation of rickshaws https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s11643/Letter%20dated%2016th%20June%202017%20from%20Private%20Secretary%20to%20Minister%20for%20Transport%20regarding%20regulation%20.pdf they are still working on a new bill but atleast this time the fleshed it out a bit

Link no worky

Link no worky
    works for me but you can find it here https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=2232&x=1

• Advertisement

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-06-28a.56&s=rickshaws#g58.r
    Following consideration of proposals from the National Transport Authority (NTA) and legal advice which I received, I am proceeding with the drafting of Heads of a Bill to provide for a new Part to be inserted to the Taxi Regulation Act 2013 exclusively for the regulation of rickshaws. The approach will, amongst things, ensure that
    - the relevant interactions with the existing legislative framework under the 2013 Act for small public service vehicles (taxis, hackneys and limousines), are properly integrated;
    - the definition of 'rickshaw' will encompass all known types of rickshaw, in particular the most prevalent type of rickshaw in operation which has an electric motor which provides assistance to the person pedalling the rickshaw, and
    - the principles and policies will be set out in primary legislation as to the matters which the NTA may provide for in regulations, thereby giving the NTA the necessary powers to regulate.
    To inform the detailed drafting process I have also tasked the NTA with conducting a public consultation, as the views of key stakeholders and the public will be important in devising an appropriate regulatory regime for rickshaws. The consultation will, amongst other things, seek to elicit information on existing rickshawoperators in relation to the scale and type of operations and users experience of rickshaws including fares charged and issues they have experienced, as well as operators'/drivers' and the public's views on how operators/drivers and vehicles should be regulated. I am advised that the NTA intends to initiate the consultation process in early July. Early consultation on proposals to legislate will mean that feedback can be used constructively and a broad consensus secured.
    I share the concerns which have been raised about the need for regulation of rickshaws and it is my intention to progress the drafting of the Heads of a Bill without delay
    why wasn't this done years ago?

Conviction of Brazilian rickshaw driver for drug dealing prompts warning by judge http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/conviction-of-brazilian-rickshaw-driver-for-drug-dealing-prompts-warning-by-judge-796720.html incredible lucky to be able to stay in the country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Judge Walsh said these offences were a common theme that has emerged in the court on a daily basis and, he added, “certain nationalities seem to be involved in this type of activity”.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-33-caught-dealing-drugs-avoids-order-to-leave-ireland-as-judge-says-sale-of-drugs-by-rickshaw-drivers-now-a-common-theme-35902948.html

This problem was seen two years ago and yet we are here today.

Are they banning these rickshaws at the DCC meeting tonight? Are they f!@k!!

Deport anyone like that what use are they to our economy.

Absolutely ridiculous we are seen as complete fools and he gets away with it.

No previous convictions here just cause he wasn't caught ...

Wonder what his past is like at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Identity Ireland called; they want their stupidity back.

Not once in your reply did you broach the issue of how to constructively deal with the rickshaw issues r/g licenses/insurance/tax/DOE etc.

You instead ignored the law and jumped on the racism bandwagon.

I'm presuming you're behind or involved in the Ban Rickshaws in Dublin FB Page > https://www.facebook.com/banrickshawsindublin/

It's basically a subterfuge for people who can't think of other ways to express their racism under their anonymous accounts.

As for the show of support for taxi drivers on the page?

Utter b***s too; just waiting for the split when one of them taxi drivers happens to be Johnny Foreigner for more bile to be spewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,628 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think the only time people will listen is when someone is killed.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Identity Ireland called; they want their stupidity back.

Not once in your reply did you broach the issue of how to constructively deal with the rickshaw issues r/g licenses/insurance/tax/DOE etc.

You instead ignored the law and jumped on the racism bandwagon.

I'm presuming you're behind or involved in the Ban Rickshaws in Dublin FB Page > https://www.facebook.com/banrickshawsindublin/

It's basically a subterfuge for people who can't think of other ways to express their racism under their anonymous accounts.

As for the show of support for taxi drivers on the page?

Utter b***s too; just waiting for the split when one of them taxi drivers happens to be Johnny Foreigner for more bile to be spewed.

Elaborate on the racist part there kid??

In no comments I have made is any racism involved and actually how dare you even say that.

Amazing how much that word is thrown around these days.

He was selling drugs!!! What sort of decent law abiding citizens do that!! The decent ones don't....

What a silly little argument you have made...

I did mention previous numerous times to regulate and licence them out.

I actually have no issue with them only for the extremely dangerous and disrespectful manner they are ridden.

Racist please look up that term and educate yourself kid.

I heard that four taxi drivers were arrested today. We really should ban all taxis urgently.

I heard that four taxi drivers were arrested today. We really should ban all taxis urgently.

They weren't arrested they were given on the spot fines for over charging.

Big difference.

If it was sarcasm sorry not with it today ;-)

They weren't arrested they were given on the spot fines for over charging.

Big difference.

If it was sarcasm sorry not with it today ;-)

Over-charging? What a rip-off! They're all at it. We really must ban taxis as soon as possible.

Over-charging? What a rip-off! They're all at it. We really must ban taxis as soon as possible.

Not all but they were found to be taking the longer route with mainly tourists or those that don't have a clue where they are.

It ain't just Ireland so don't lose any sleep over it.

Oh and Nokia Ella no I'm not on fb can't flipping stand it.

Not all but they were found to be taking the longer route with mainly tourists or those that don't have a clue where they are.

It ain't just Ireland so don't lose any sleep over it.

That's an interesting contrast to your view on rickshaw drivers and criminality, which was;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Why is it so difficult to comprehend.

A group of guests in the country create a problem. With high levels of criminality (Judge's words not mine).

Why should our government, police force, councillors spend time and money trying to fix this issue with regulation and all that entails.

Do you have any evidence that this group would follow the rules if they were introduced or just move onto the next scheme?

That's an interesting contrast to your view on rickshaw drivers and criminality, which was;

What's your point as what you wrote has no meaning, question or point??

If one is a guest in our country they should behave accordingly to our laws and conduct themselves in a manor that does not harm or offend anyone.

• Advertisement

What's your point as what you wrote has no meaning, question or point??

If one is a guest in our country they should behave accordingly to our laws and conduct themselves in a manor that does not harm or offend anyone.

But you didn't check about the nationality of the dodgy taxi drivers? Why is that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Not every rickshaw driver is a dangerous dealer and rapist but you are taking a big chance engaging with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Or maybe would could do what you were suggesting for rickshaws which was introduce rules and regs. But not bother enforcing them. How can taxis be overcharging if we don't check if they are! :rolleyes:

I have solved the problem of taxi drivers overcharging !

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dr Ben

The latest scam from the richshaw drivers is that they are now selling duty free cigarettes.

I think they should be banned.

They don't seem to obey any laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Dr Ben wrote: »
    The latest scam from the richshaw drivers is that they are now selling duty free cigarettes.
    Won't somebody please think of the children cigarette companies!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They must be making plenty money if they can afford to buy country houses when they come here.

But you didn't check about the nationality of the dodgy taxi drivers? Why is that now?

Well let's see......

Is this discussion about taxis or rickshaws.....¿
    You go have a think there...

The taxi industry is full of criminals but there are also genuine hard working members also.

Back to rickshaws it is known many are from the likes of Brazil but of course not all.
    I would hazard a guess very few are Irish.

Look if you can't see it for what it is there is no point trying to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dr Ben

I've never heard of an Irish Richshaw Driver or Toilet Attendant do they even exist ?

Dr Ben wrote: »
    I've never heard of an Irish Richshaw Driver or Toilet Attendant do they even exist ?

There used to be an awful, camp, Irish toilet attendant in Dicey Rileys on Harcourt St - looked a bit like Ronnie Corbett. I used to take the long journey to the other loo to avoid him.
    Won't somebody please think of the children cigarette companies!
    In fairness, it would be the State that loses out on excise duties rather than the cigarette companies.
    Well let's see......

Is this discussion about taxis or rickshaws.....¿
    You go have a think there...

The taxi industry is full of criminals but there are also genuine hard working members also.

Back to rickshaws it is known many are from the likes of Brazil but of course not all.

Look if you can't see it for what it is there is no point trying to explain.
    Though you made a post yourself specifically about taxi drivers, though you didn't raise any question about the nationality of the taxi drivers.

Are you making an association between being Brazilian and being criminal?

• Advertisement

There used to be an awful, camp, Irish toilet attendant in Dicey Rileys on Harcourt St - looked a bit like Ronnie Corbett. I used to take the long journey to the other loo to avoid him.

In fairness, it would be the State that loses out on excise duties rather than the cigarette companies.

Though you made a post yourself specifically about taxi drivers, though you didn't raise any question about the nationality of the taxi drivers.

Are you making an association between being Brazilian and being criminal?

No the main point is that if one is a guest they don't behave then they should be removed.

Quite a simple solution really.

No I did not just bang on about taxis.

I can see why taxis would like to see them gone as they take their business but I am for them if used correctly and are regulated.

These guys or girls do not pay tax and do not contribute to society but yet have no issue using our services.

Are you a rickshaw dude yourself...

Advertisement