Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban rickshaws

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No the main point is that if one is a guest they don't behave then they should be removed.

Quite a simple solution really.

No I did not just bang on about taxis.

I can see why taxis would like to see them gone as they take their business but I am for them if used correctly and are regulated.

These guys or girls do not pay tax and do not contribute to society but yet have no issue using our services.

Are you a rickshaw dude yourself...
    I've never ridden a rickshaw or used a rickshaw.

These guys do pay tax. Every time they buy a bottle of milk or a sliced pan, they pay tax and contribute to our society. If they aren't paying tax on their earnings, by all means, set the Revenue on them. If they are selling drugs, by all means, set the Gardai on them. I'd be happy to see them regulated.

But there are a lot more things we could be banning in Ireland with better reasons than these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've never ridden a rickshaw or used a rickshaw.

These guys do pay tax. Every time they buy a bottle of milk or a sliced pan, they pay tax and contribute to our society. If they aren't paying tax on their earnings, by all means, set the Revenue on them. If they are selling drugs, by all means, set the Gardai on them. I'd be happy to see them regulated.

But there are a lot more things we could be banning in Ireland with better reasons than these lads.

Why do you keep using my posts...

Not once did I say ban.

I think its great as its another engine spewing out diesel and NOx gases off the road.

They don't show their earnings as they don't exsist....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dr Ben

There is noway rickshaws are ever going to be legit in Ireland because if they were they would need insurance which most richshaw drivers wouldn't be able to afford.

Insurance for a rickshaw would likely cost upwards of 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I'd be happy to see them regulated.

You are happy to have them regulated, but you don't want the regulations enforced. Are you really happy with regulations, when you don't in fact want them enforced? It took you several posts the last time to admit you don't see any point or need for these guys to be regulated.

You might not like these guys regulated and the regulations (don't bother pretending). Thousands of people including myself want them gone.

BTW I seen you ignored my post commenting your post about banning taxi drivers as some were overcharging. I guess you ignored it as it made your view on rickshaws ridiculous ie regulate them but don't enforce it. If the Gardai don't enforce rules and regs regulating taxi drivers, we don't have overcharging. Problem solved...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Taxi Driver telling us today that some politicians son/brother/cousin has a 100 of these rickshaws perhaps that's why there's been no intervention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Taxi Driver telling us today that some politicians son/brother/cousin has a 100 of these rickshaws perhaps that's why there's been no intervention.

Unlikely - taxi drivers are reknowned for bull**** remember.

Dublin City Council is SF/Labour and has done nothing about it. Government is FG/FF and has done nothing about it. One politician isn't going to be holding sway over both sides.

Dr Ben wrote: »
    There is noway rickshaws are ever going to be legit in Ireland because if they were they would need insurance which most richshaw drivers wouldn't be able to afford.

Insurance for a rickshaw would likely cost upwards of 5k.
    Source please?
    You are happy to have them regulated, but you don't want the regulations enforced. Are you really happy with regulations, when you don't in fact want them enforced? It took you several posts the last time to admit you don't see any point or need for these guys to be regulated.

You might not like these guys regulated and the regulations (don't bother pretending). Thousands of people including myself want them gone.

BTW I seen you ignored my post commenting your post about banning taxi drivers as some were overcharging. I guess you ignored it as it made your view on rickshaws ridiculous ie regulate them but don't enforce it. If the Gardai don't enforce rules and regs regulating taxi drivers, we don't have overcharging. Problem solved...
    I ignored your post because you're doing this silly strawman stuff of twisting my words and then asking me to justify your twisted version. Life's too short. If you want to have an adult discussion on what I've actually said, let me know.

Why do you keep using my posts...

Not once did I say ban.

I think its great as its another engine spewing out diesel and NOx gases off the road.

They don't show their earnings as they don't exsist....
    I keep 'using your posts' because you keep asking me questions like "Are you a rickshaw dude yourself...".

Source please?

Just look at taxi insurance that can cost up to 10k.

Richshaws are far more dangerous than taxis so its likely they would cost even more to insure than taxis.

Just look at taxi insurance that can cost up to 10k.

Richshaws are far more dangerous than taxis so its likely they would cost even more to insure than taxis.

REally? A 30-50kg bike going 10-20 kmph is 'far more dangerous' than a 1-3 tonne car that goes 60-150 kpmh?

The death statistics on the roads would say different.

REally? A 30-50kg bike going 10-20 kmph is 'far more dangerous' than a 1-3 tonne car that goes 60-150 kpmh?

The death statistics on the roads would say different.

If you crash on a richshaw you have no protection unlike a car.

• Advertisement

If you crash on a richshaw you have no protection unlike a car.

Tell that to the 150 people killed in cars this year, plus the 40-ish pedestrians and 10-ish cyclists killed by cars this year.

About 200 people killed by motorists each year in Ireland, vs zero killed by rickshaws.

Tell that to the 150 people killed in cars this year, plus the 40-ish pedestrians and 10-ish cyclists killed by cars this year.

About 200 people killed by motorists each year in Ireland, vs zero killed by rickshaws.

Thats only because there is far more cars than richshaws that people die from car accidents.

Thats only because there is far more cars than richshaws that people die from car accidents.

So you don't think the speed, weight and momentum of cars, vans and trucks is a factor in the nature of injuries that people get in crashes (Note: crashes, not "accidents").

So you don't the speed, weight and momentum of cars is a factor in the nature of injuries that people get in car crashes (Note: crashes, not "accidents").

In a car you have protection in a crash richshaws don't even have seat belts.

If a richshaw crashed head on with a car with any sort of speed its likely the occupants of the rickshaw would be very badly injured or killed.

I ignored your post because you're doing this silly strawman stuff of twisting my words and then asking me to justify your twisted version. Life's too short. If you want to have an adult discussion on what I've actually said, let me know.

Silly strawman? Twisting your words is right and the fact you had an issue with it. I think you ignored it as you realised that your justification for allowing rickshaws is very flawed. To the extent you are ignoring anyone who undermines your opinion...

I am more than willing to have an adult discussion. I don't think you are in the slightest. You want rickshaws regulated, but the rules not enforced. We don't have to worry about taxidrivers overcharging if we don't enforce their rules. I outline this double standard and you call it a silly strawman? Maybe the silly thing of your suggestion of regulate, but don't enforce regulations for rickshaws...

Why do you think there should be two standards? One for rickshaws and one for taxis? I would love an adult answer...

In a car you have protection in a crash richshaws don't even have seat belts.

If a richshaw crashed head on with a car with any sort of speed its likely the occupants of the rickshaw would be very badly injured or killed.

Yes, if a car did crash head-on with a rickshaw, certainly the rickshaw occupants would come off worse. But that is a fairly unlikely scenario.

Seatbelts and airbags don't have magic powers. About 150 people each year are killed in cars, vans or trucks. About zero people are killed in rickshaws.

You want rickshaws regulated, but the rules not enforced.
    There's that twisting of words thing again. Let me know when you're ready for an adult discussion.

Somehow I don't think insurance companies are going to be queuing up to give rickshaw drivers insurance.

It's only a matter of time before someone on a rickshaw gets killed.

There's that twisting of words thing again. Let me know when you're ready for an adult discussion.
    Dude, I'd be quite happy to see regulations for 'taxi' rickshaws, and I'd be quite happy to see appropriate enforcement, in line with overall Garda priorities (with stopping motorists from killing four or five people each week as a much higher priority).
    That's not to say that Gardai shouldn't enforce existing laws on rickshaw drivers if/when they see offences being carried out. I've no problems with Gardai enforcing any existing laws, in proportion to the risk arising.

What words am I twisting?

You are happy to see regulation. Correct. You don't want these regulations enforced as you want the Gardai to focus on speeding etc. Correct. Yet you think I am twisting words?

What words am I twisting?

You are happy to see regulation. Correct. You don't want these regulations enforced as you want the Gardai to focus on speeding etc. Correct. Yet you think I am twisting words?

Do I need to spell it out, word for word? You twisted "I'd be quite happy to see regulations for 'taxi' rickshaws, and I'd be quite happy to see appropriate enforcement" into "the rules not enforced". That's twisted, dude.

• Advertisement

Do I need to spell it out, word for word? You twisted "I'd be quite happy to see regulations for 'taxi' rickshaws, and I'd be quite happy to see appropriate enforcement" into "the rules not enforced". That's twisted, dude.

You call it twisted. I called it putting it into perspective. You regulations and them enforced, only after the Garda focus have dealt with speeding, driving without insurance etc. You have stated in the past, you don't want the rules enforced. You kept bringing up the unsourced road death toll and the the Garda should focus on speeding etc. Rickshaws should the least of their worries

You call it twisted. I called it putting it into perspective.
    You can call it what you like, but you changed my words. I never said that didn't want regulations enforced. That's a fact. Why do you need to make up stuff that I didn't say so you can argue with it?
    You regulations and them enforced, only after the Garda focus have dealt with speeding, driving without insurance etc. You have stated in the past, you don't want the rules enforced. You kept bringing up the unsourced road death toll and the the Garda should focus on speeding etc.
    Would you like to take another go at this?
    Rickshaws should the least of their worries
    I agree.

Would you like to take another go at this?

I agree.

In this comment alone you state you want the Gardai to enforce speeding and drink driving offences and not rickshaws! You want the regulations enforced, but you want the enforced after so many other offences, that in reality you don't want them enforced. When I point this out to you, you get defensive that you have not said that. But in reality, that is what you have said...

Since I am twisting your words... Tell me how you want rickshaw regulations enforced? Since you think there is misunderstanding, plenty of details would be ideal

In this comment alone you state you want the Gardai to enforce speeding and drink driving offences and not rickshaws! You want the regulations enforced, but you want the enforced after so many other offences, that in reality you don't want them enforced. When I point this out to you, you get defensive that you have not said that. But in reality, that is what you have said...

Since I am twisting your words... Tell me how you want rickshaw regulations enforced? Since you think there is misunderstanding, plenty of details would be ideal

Eh no thanks. I've already made my view absolutely clear. I'm not arsed to say it again so you can find a different way to twist it.

Eh no thanks. I've already made my view absolutely clear. I'm not arsed to say it again so you can find a different way to twist it.

So clear that my others and I know have no idea what it is...

I would not call that "absolutely clear"...

So clear that my others and I know have no idea what it is...

I would not call that "absolutely clear"...

Here we go again then, for you and your others;
    "I'd be quite happy to see regulations for 'taxi' rickshaws, and I'd be quite happy to see appropriate enforcement"

Its something that needs doing fast along with mountain bikes with engines strapped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its something that needs doing fast along with mountain bikes with engines strapped on.

They have nabbed one or 2 of these guys, laws are already in place for riding a motorcycle without tax/insurance/helemet/licence etc.

I still reckon some of these rickshaw guys are uninsured motorists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

On O'Connell St on Saturday night - absolute chaos being caused by the rickshaws flying all angles across roads and paths.

• Advertisement

I had 3 racing on dame st the other night coming down the wrong side of the road... Very regular occurrence.

Advertisement