Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Sound System

• 14-12-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys,
    Does anybody have any advise or knowledge on car sounds systems? I'm looking to get a handsfree system fitted into my 3 door 2006 opel astra but would also like to fit a subwoofer and maybe new speakers! I have no idea what to look for or whats involved in it or where to look! I live on the west coast in Clare. My budget is about €600...
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You can get a new head unit for about 120 euro which will have Bluetooth built in and comes with an external Mic to provide the handsfree part. Pioneer, Sony and Kenwood all sell units like that. I bought this Pioneer in Halfords on special for under 120 euro. It can control an iPod or iPhone via USB and has the necessary outputs at the rear to drive external amps and powered Subs. I also has flu Parrot hands free via Bluetooth to your phone and allows control of the phone from the front panel with search contacts etc.

The added complication for you is the subwoofer and how it will connect to the head unit. There are basically 2 types available - Powered or Passive. Powered will have a built in amplifier that will need either a feed from the Subwoofer OUT on the head unit or a connection to the Speaker outputs. These can be very neat and easy to install. Passive Subs require an external power amplifier to drive them, a more flexible method as it allows you to pick and choose your speaker and amplifier but a bit more complicated to install and set up. Connections are similar to the Powered unit with input needed from the head unit or speaker outputs.

As for new speakers, that depends on whether you want to simply replace the stock fitted speakers with better quality ones or to actually install speakers where none were originally fitted ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dylanspencer04

Thanks for your reply Ken!
    Thats great information, will just getting a new stereo/head unit with built in hands free for playing music via bluetooth and viewing contacts do the job?
    Im gonna go and take a look at the different subwoofers in halfords as well!

I was just considering changing the speakers and getting new ones for better sound or is the big sound difference when you install the subwoofer?
    Thanks!

Any advise on subwoofer makes or models? I presume passive are the more sensible option :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It depends on what quality you want or can afford. There are plenty of powered subs about which will add a bit of oomph and bump to the sound for under 200 quid, if it's something more refined you're looking for then a passive sub/mids/tweeters and multiple amps and crossovers is the top end costing thousands.

Certainly replacing the stock speakers can improve things, you might decide you don't need a sub afterwards. If you have a decent back shelf then maybe a pair of largish drive units there will give you the bang for less bucks. When it comes to audio the sky's the limit !!

In my own car a few years ago I installed a pair of Sony Xplod 12" passive subs, upgraded door speakers and shelf speakers with front and rear tweeters and 2 power amps - 1 for the subs and the other for the rest of the speakers. I was happy enough with the sound but it cost about 1,200 euro excluding the head unit - A Sony Xplod Dark Face.

If you decide on the components post back and let us know how you're getting on ?!

Ken

Yeah well i suppose the max i would be spending is about €650...the thing I have to decide is whether to install speakers first or a subwoofer or both, like which would be more necessary??
    I also have to decide whether to install a new stereo or just a handsfree device.....
    Decisions, decision, decisions!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement