Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair Accessable Restaurant in Dublin City Centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Damn. Was thinking of somewhere intimate! :-(

The port house on south William street is very intimate. Spanish tapas place and beautiful building. Also La cave and La Ruelle might fit your bill.
    Il Primo also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

liffeylite wrote: »
    The port house on south William street is very intimate. Spanish tapas place and beautiful building. Also La cave and La Ruelle might fit your bill.
    Il Primo also.

Are those places wheelchair accessible though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I don't think the Port House is accessible. Iirs there are steps down into it. Many of those South William eateries are in buildings with steps fwiw.

People mentioned L'Gueleton upthread. Very nice place. They don't take reservations though, so mightn't be a runner for Valentine's day. Rustic Stone on Exchequer/George's Street is pricey but nice, and no steps either. (Side note: it's amazing how I never really give a thought as to whether a restaurant has universal access. Something I will look out for in future!)

A place was mentioned on here before(I think?) where the restaurant had a normal dining floor, but also offered private rooms where the customers had their own waiter.........? Can anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I came across this recently: http://wheelmap.org/en/map#/?lat=53.33989815165648&lon=-6.260565519332886&zoom=18&q=dublin

It's an editable map of wheelchair accessible businesses. It's very easy to change, just click on a business and add its accessibility status. For those familiar with it, it is also possible to add this information via other OpenStreetMap editors.

It's poorly populated for Dublin atm, but OSM tends to change at a high rate so keep an eye on it, and add to it if you can.

EDIT: Also, it might be worth changing the title of this thread to include "wheelchair accessible", so that others can find the information easily.

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    I came across this recently: http://wheelmap.org/en/map#/?lat=53.33989815165648&lon=-6.260565519332886&zoom=18&q=dublin

It's an editable map of wheelchair accessible businesses. It's very easy to change, just click on a business and add its accessibility status. For those familiar with it, it is also possible to add this information via other OpenStreetMap editors.

It's poorly populated for Dublin atm, but OSM tends to change at a high rate so keep an eye on it, and add to it if you can.

EDIT: Also, it might be worth changing the title of this thread to include "wheelchair accessible", so that others can find the information easily.

Mods, could you change the title for me please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mods, could you change the title for me please?

Done :)

January wrote: »
    Done :)

Cheers :-)

A place was mentioned on here before(I think?) where the restaurant had a normal dining floor, but also offered private rooms where the customers had their own waiter.........? Can anyone enlighten me?

It's actually Fire Restaurant lol. I'll ring them tomorrow to see if I can get a private room...?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

The room might be accessible but check if the loos are. We booked one place and the cubicle door open inwards and it was located in the ladies.

It’s been a few years since I’ve been there, but the Westbury was a nice spot. It was nice, relaxing and spacious.

The Irish Times did an article on private dining in Ireland: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/dine-like-lords-and-ladies-just-for-one-night-1.1611773
    It mentions the Shelbourne

• Advertisement

madrabui wrote: »
    The room might be accessible but check if the loos are. We booked one place and the cubicle door open inwards and it was located in the ladies.

It’s been a few years since I’ve been there, but the Westbury was a nice spot. It was nice, relaxing and spacious.

The Irish Times did an article on private dining in Ireland: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/dine-like-lords-and-ladies-just-for-one-night-1.1611773
    It mentions the Shelbourne

Good point re; the loos. Never thought of that!

Good point re; the loos. Never thought of that!

Just got an email from them. They have accessible toilets.

Fire is a fabulous restaurant! We'll definitely be going back! The food, service, and atmosphere are top notch.

Hi guys,

I'm back again! This time I'm looking for an accessible restaurant near to the Gaeity Theatre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

L'gueuleton, The Market Bar and Francesca's in Brooks Hotel are all meant to be wheelchair accessible and quite close to The Gaiety.

Guys

Trocadero or Rustic Stone? Which would you choose?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Guys

Trocadero or Rustic Stone? Which would you choose?

Both are nice but if you are going for romance and atmosphere over anything else, I'd go with Trocadero.

Check both their menus though, that might pick the winner for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

both lovely places and I'd advise to try both.
    Troc is more traditional food with a lovely atmosphere. Very popular with theatre / TV folk. Really nice and relaxed and staff v attentive.
    Rustic stone is more 'yuppie' crowd, but still the food is excellent and different.

I've booked Rustic Stone, but I think that Trocadero is closer to the Gaeity? Am I right?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've booked Rustic Stone, but I think that Trocadero is closer to the Gaeity? Am I right?

It is a little closer but not by much at all.

• Advertisement

Okeydoke. It looks a good bit further on Google Maps

When you come out of Rustic Stone, go straight up George's Street and take a left down Stephen's Street (past Accents coffee shop), it's not too far down from there at all.

Just checked Google Maps, Trocadero is 50m closer! (450m v 500m)

miamee wrote: »
    When you come out of Rustic Stone, go straight up George's Street and take a left down Stephen's Street (past Accents coffee shop), it's not too far down from there at all.

Just checked Google Maps, Trocadero is 50m closer! (450m v 500m)

There's a step into Trocadero. I wonder if there's one at the entrance into Rustic Stone?

There's a step into Trocadero. I wonder if there's one at the entrance into Rustic Stone?

I can't 100% say for sure though I don't think so. I work nearby so if I think of it I'll have a look when passing later :)

By the way, the restaurant is on two levels as far as I remember - ground floor and basement so you would want a ground floor table? I can't remember if the bathrooms are downstairs or not so you might want to ask that also if you haven't already.

miamee wrote: »
    I can't 100% say for sure though I don't think so. I work nearby so if I think of it I'll have a look when passing later :)

By the way, the restaurant is on two levels as far as I remember - ground floor and basement so you would want a ground floor table? I can't remember if the bathrooms are downstairs or not so you might want to ask that also if you haven't already.

I rang them, and they said there was. I've booked Rustic Stone now, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Enjoy your night out!

Saw this post on Lovin Dublin, might be a few more places for you to try;
    http://lovindublin.com/best-of/accessible-city-5-best-wheelchair-accessible-restaurants-dublin/

Hi

OP here again. I'm looking for somewhere for this Saturday for herself & myself for Christmas dinner. Any suggestions welcome

Advertisement