Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5s rattle

• 14-12-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

My new 16Gb 5s has a rattle at the top near the power button, it seems to be the power button and the volume buttons, has anyone else noticed this, is it something I should be complaining to apple about, I bought it sim free from them

Comments

My 64GB 5S is the same but I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. I'm not too bothered. It's the power button alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Karsini wrote: »
    My 64GB 5S is the same but I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. I'm not too bothered. It's the power button alright.

Thanks katsini, I'm not bothered by it either, but I thought it was a bit strange,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Kagawa wrote: »
    Thanks katsini, I'm not bothered by it either, but I thought it was a bit strange,

The first few iphone 5 had a loose battery issue due to not enough or not the right type of glue being used.
    The phones had a knocking/rattle noise and i do know apple acknowledged this and replaced those phones.

I would be returning your 5s if i was you or at very least contacting apple directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Should be receiving mine on Monday, I ordered from Pixmania Pro.

I'm just wondering, if there's any issue like rattling or clicking what do I do and how long do I have to do something about it? I know if you order from apple direct then they'll send out a replacement once you contact them within 7 days or something like that, but what if I get it from somewhere else?

I didn't purchase any extra warranty or anything like that, so what should I expect if there's anything wrong?

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

Should be receiving mine on Monday, I ordered from Pixmania Pro.

I'm just wondering, if there's any issue like rattling or clicking what do I do and how long do I have to do something about it? I know if you order from apple direct then they'll send out a replacement once you contact them within 7 days or something like that, but what if I get it from somewhere else?

I didn't purchase any extra warranty or anything like that, so what should I expect if there's anything wrong?

Thanks,

I would suggest you check back with pixmania and see what kind of time frame they give you. The rattle fromt he top of the phone is perfectly normal (obviously within reason). ive had the iphone 4, 4s & 5 and the rattle has been present in all of them.

• Advertisement

djdunny wrote: »
    I would suggest you check back with pixmania and see what kind of time frame they give you. The rattle fromt he top of the phone is perfectly normal (obviously within reason). ive had the iphone 4, 4s & 5 and the rattle has been present in all of them.

Oh so I can't just deal directly with apple if I've bought it through pixmania?

I had a closer look at mine, it seems to be coming from the camera, I have scheduled a call with apple at 4 today, I'll let everybody know what they say

Oh so I can't just deal directly with apple if I've bought it through pixmania?

Oh most certainly you can. Sorry, I misinterpreted the question. Yes you can contact Apple if you have an issue with your device. As I previously mentioned though, the rattle at the top is normal and no cause for repair.

Oh most certainly you can. Sorry, I misinterpreted the question. Yes you can contact Apple if you have an issue with your device. As I previously mentioned though, the rattle at the top is normal and no cause for repair.

Oh great, yeah I'm not too worried about the rattle, but I don't think I'd be happy with the screen popping in and out of place. I heard it was a manufacturing error with the glue or something..

Anyway if there's any problems I can just give apple a call, or head up to belfast and they'll deal with it, correct?

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

I sent my first 5s back in October wheb I bought it because of the rattle, recieved a new one the next day and it too had a rattle in it. Rang Apple back and the Irish call centre put me onto a manager in America, the new 5s hs a rattle in it coming from the camera, its a new zoom that they are using compared to the older models, he told not to worry about it. He told me to keep the new phone and refunded my €29 for express delivery. I've had no problems withthe phone so far, its nearly 3 months old now

• Advertisement

Oh great, yeah I'm not too worried about the rattle, but I don't think I'd be happy with the screen popping in and out of place. I heard it was a manufacturing error with the glue or something..

Anyway if there's any problems I can just give apple a call, or head up to belfast and they'll deal with it, correct?

Thanks,

Yea you can call them and explain. they will give you the repair options.

Alternatively you can book it in yourself for a mail in repair here
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

If you were to go to Belfast, I would strongly recommend making an appointment first. Last thing you want is to travel all that way to be told theyre fully booked.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/victoriasquare/

That link will let you make a booking, just click on Genius Bar reservation

Yea you can call them and explain. they will give you the repair options.

Alternatively you can book it in yourself for a mail in repair here
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

If you were to go to Belfast, I would strongly recommend making an appointment first. Last thing you want is to travel all that way to be told theyre fully booked.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/victoriasquare/

That link will let you make a booking, just click on Genius Bar reservation

That's great, thanks ;)

AppleCare rang me, I explained that there was a rattle coming from the area around the camera and he said that there should not be any rattle in the phone. He suggested that I set up a collection day after Christmas to send the phone back to apple.

This is strange though after reading previous posts, if it is normal, then surely they would have told me and not wanted to go the expense of returning it etc. I am going to go ahead and return it for a service, if they send it back saying it's ok, then fine, I'd rather know for sure. The only thing is I will be without a phone for 7-10 working days, micro sim won't fit my old iphone 4, bummer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AppleCare rang me, I explained that there was a rattle coming from the area around the camera and he said that there should not be any rattle in the phone. He suggested that I set up a collection day after Christmas to send the phone back to apple.

This is strange though after reading previous posts, if it is normal, then surely they would have told me and not wanted to go the expense of returning it etc. I am going to go ahead and return it for a service, if they send it back saying it's ok, then fine, I'd rather know for sure. The only thing is I will be without a phone for 7-10 working days, micro sim won't fit my old iphone 4, bummer

There are are instances going back a long time now about the camera rattle. Had it myself, but it never bothered me.

go to your local phone shop. they should have sim card adapters. they might have a spare one that you get for free or they have them for sale. Either way you'll be able to use your old iphone.

Well it finally came today, unfortunately I forgot all about needing a nano sim, so can't play with it yet :(

Thankfully the screens not popping out of place when pressed, but there is a rattle at the power button, and it's quite noticeable when you move the phone at all. I don't really mind it, but if it interferes with videos then it's a problem :/

Well it finally came today, unfortunately I forgot all about needing a nano sim, so can't play with it yet :(

Thankfully the screens not popping out of place when pressed, but there is a rattle at the power button, and it's quite noticeable when you move the phone at all. I don't really mind it, but if it interferes with videos then it's a problem :/

I've seen on here that people say that the rattle affects video, is that it's audible in the recording while moving the phone??

I've seen on here that people say that the rattle affects video, is that it's audible in the recording while moving the phone??

Yep that's what I meant, but mine does seem fairly loose,...it's not that you have to shake the phone hard, just moving it or turning it on its side is enough to make a noise.

I've also noticed a little scratch on one of the corners of the power button, like a chip..but it is tiny and you need to examine it closely to notice it.

It's probably just the OCD in me though.

If it's affecting video do you think I'd get a replacement if I rang apple?

Yep that's what I meant, but mine does seem fairly loose,...it's not that you have to shake the phone hard, just moving it or turning it on its side is enough to make a noise.

I've also noticed a little scratch on one of the corners of the power button, like a chip..but it is tiny and you need to examine it closely to notice it.

It's probably just the OCD in me though.

If it's affecting video do you think I'd get a replacement if I rang apple?

I don't know about a replacement but I've set up a return and service for my 5s, so they will at least look at it and check if it's faulty

I don't know about a replacement but I've set up a return and service for my 5s, so they will at least look at it and check if it's faulty

Finally got round to testing it, it's definitely very audible on videos and I'm kind of disappointed to be honest... I wouldn't mind if you had to really shake the phone to notice it, but just panning the video is enough to hear a rattle.

Let me know how you get on with the return & service and I might send mine away too.

• Advertisement

Finally got round to testing it, it's definitely very audible on videos and I'm kind of disappointed to be honest... I wouldn't mind if you had to really shake the phone to notice it, but just panning the video is enough to hear a rattle.

Let me know how you get on with the return & service and I might send mine away too.

I'll post when I get it sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Got one from work and they are returning it over the rattle to be fixed. If I put the sim in the iphone 4s, will it just work away as normal. Will vodafone show up on it, anything specific I would need to do when I put the sim in that I should know, cheers lads!

Sent phone back to apple on Monday, got an email today saying the following:

Quote: Our technicians have performed full diagnostic checks on your IPHONE 5S and have been unable to reproduce the symptom(s) you reported when you requested service. As a result of our tests, we can confirm that your product meets Apple specifications for performance, usability, and functionality

So, it seems that the rattle is acceptable to apple. At least I know it's not something bad rattling around in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

My 5c has a rattle up there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

all camera modules in the iphones rattle as far as I know, definitely the 4S, 5, etc anyway, have a few here and they all rattle if tapped in the top corner, could also be the vibrate motor.

Advertisement