Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding and poor land

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

just do it wrote: »
    Lime. Some points.
    Is that note limestone land you have? Also lime at time of reseed is important for neutralising the acid generated by decaying vegetation. If you've it grazed very tight by sheep this will minimise decaying vegetation and you may well get away with 2 bags/ac of ground lime broadcast at same time as seed.

Not on limestone here, granite with some quartz thrown in for variety.

My initial area, where I feed the ewes pre lambing, will be that tightly grazed you could play marbles on it. That was part of the reason I thought of it. The other reason is that I would also have it out of rotation (you know what I mean, I have no fancy rotations yet) at that time to recover so it'd be no immediate loss to the operation in Spring/early Summer.

I had read that about liming to counter act the acid effect of dying plants, also to spread a bag of 0-7-30 per acre with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I know it's still a good bit off but what's your plan of action at this stage?

Bought some seed last night, lack of sleep impulse buy. Feel free to set me right if I have messed up.

3.4kg Glenveagh
    3.4kg Soriento
    3.4kg Piccadilly
    1.2kg Timothy
    0.6kg White clover, can't remember which variety at the moment!

1. Burn off the grass, let sheep into it as the tips are turning purple to graze it down.
    2. Spread 3 bags gran lime to the acre (doing two acres) after sheep let out.

(Same day)
    3. Spread seed, chain harrow, spread 2 bags 10-10-20 / acre.
    4. Roll.

Or should I wait for germination before spreading the fert? It's not sinking in to my head too well :o

Just want to have the steps clear and right in my head now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Will you need to give many runs of the chain harrow to tear up the ground ? If its going to take a few I wouldn't put out the seed until the before the last run of the harrow .

Did you buy the seed on line ? If so where and what much was it ?

moy83 wrote: »
    Will you need to give many runs of the chain harrow to tear up the ground ? If its going to take a few I wouldn't put out the seed until the before the last run of the harrow .

I have no idea, never done this before, not even got the harrow yet :D

I did, seedirect maybe? It was mentioned on one of these threads, cost around €130 inc delivery but I got enough for two acres which is more than listed above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Old pastures have a serious root system. We disc harrowed a rough enough field a few years ago that was let out in the 70s when it was bulldozed. Took weeks for the vegetation grass/roots to die down and break up. Weather broke and we had to leave it until the following spring. Well broken up at that stage. Only problem was some native grasses and weeds came back and we should have sprayed again. Few runs of the harrow and it came up fine though. Good field now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Chain harrow arrived today. First thing the ould fella said, a quad won't pull that! I hope to prove him wrong, it is heavier than I expected, anyway, will give it a lash when everything comes together. Got it from chainharrowsireland, no connection to them but was talking to Paddy there for a fair while Thursday evening, very nice fella.

And yeah, I know it's upside down before some smartarse says :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

my brother designed that website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Chain harrow arrived today. First thing the ould fella said, a quad won't pull that! I hope to prove him wrong, it is heavier than I expected, anyway, will give it a lash when everything comes together. Got it from chainharrowsireland, no connection to them but was talking to Paddy there for a fair while Thursday evening, very nice fella.

And yeah, I know it's upside down before some smartarse says :p

Paddy wouldn't be very talkative, hope you didn't mention horses. ☺

td5man wrote: »
    Paddy wouldn't be very talkative, hope you didn't mention horses. ☺

No I couldn't get a word out of him :D

Horses? Don't think so, they wouldn't be too popular with me :pac:

Advertisement