Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need Irish Teaching Council registration to teach in the UK?

• 14-12-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I've been living in the UK for over four years, Irish trained and probated primary teacher. I haven't been teaching since I left Ireland.

I was registered with the Teaching Council (Irish) up until last year. Plans were up in the air and I thought it best to stay registered in case I found myself back home needing to sub at any stage. Registration has now lapsed.

So, I'm looking into teaching here in the UK now, probably with an agency to begin with.....

Is it a requirement in the UK that I re-register at home in order to teach over here?

Do I need to re-register with the Irish Teaching Council to have my QTS recognised over here? Anyone have experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

jr22 wrote: »
    I've been living in the UK for over four years, Irish trained and probated primary teacher. I haven't been teaching since I left Ireland.

I was registered with the Teaching Council (Irish) up until last year. Plans were up in the air and I thought it best to stay registered in case I found myself back home needing to sub at any stage. Registration has now lapsed.

So, I'm looking into teaching here in the UK now, probably with an agency to begin with.....

Is it a requirement in the UK that I re-register at home in order to teach over here?

Do I need to re-register with the Irish Teaching Council to have my QTS recognised over here? Anyone have experience of this?

I did at secondary level - so I assume so, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

Right, some info just in case anyone is in this situation in the future.

I just rang the QTS and Induction Division (UK) and was told that to get my QTS recognised I need to send along the standard documentation (degree certificate, transcripts etc.), and a Letter of Professional Standing form the Irish Teaching Council to say I meet the QTS requirements in Ireland.

I then rang the Irish Teaching Council and they are happy to provide the letter on the basis of the lapsed registration, so no need to re-register.

Advertisement