Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Group or individual help to prepare for Garda tests?

• 14-12-2013 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am wondering if there are people who are willing to group together to give each other a hand for preparation for tests? Or if I could join a group or help individually? I'm based in south Tipp area and North West Cork area. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Not a bad idea. Even an online group im up in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Damn it, get your ass down here! I'm kidding. Pity your far away. Would be great to get some help to keep motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RANDOMUSER

Damn it, get your ass down here! I'm kidding. Pity your far away. Would be great to get some help to keep motivated.

Practice practice practice. Keep doing the familiarisation m aterial on the website and I'm sure the web is full of similar. Best of luck with your application, in Dublin too

So true! Thanks! You too. :)

So true! Thanks! You too. :)

I'm beyond being able to apply.plus I couldn't put myself through all that

• Advertisement

Aw sorry to hear that. Can I ask why?

Aw sorry to hear that. Can I ask why?

Old father time has me over the limit by a few months!

Surely they can have an exception for a few months.

Surely they can have an exception for a few months.

No, the eligibility criteria is not flexible at all. I'm not too worried about it. Have u applied before?

That's a shame. Yea it's my second time applying. I got caught with the numerical reasoning. I never liked maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

That's a shame. Yea it's my second time applying. I got caught with the numerical reasoning. I never liked maths.

Did you try any aptitude preparation course?

I did. I had done the day course and this time I bought the home course package. A little more help would be great. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

I'd be up for organising some sort of study group/plan.. I'm in Dublin also but could easily do something online, start a group on facebook or something and link different tests to it etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ppaddy

What's the website regards ,pp

That's a good idea actually about the facebook group. I could set one up if no one else has? The website I think you're on about is careerservices.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

That's a good idea actually about the facebook group. I could set one up if no one else has? The website I think you're on about is careerservices.ie

im in cork and interested in this study group proposal as well

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Let's hope these new Gardai are vetted not like the many hoodlums that were hired without even a vetting process or background check being carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

slingerz wrote: »
    im in cork and interested in this study group proposal as well

in cork aswell slingerz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

microsim wrote: »
    Let's hope these new Gardai are vetted not like the many hoodlums that were hired without even a vetting process or background check being carried out.

I doubt that ever happened..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

carzony wrote: »

It was mentioned in one of the Sunday papers.

Some members of AGS never vetted and some in there with convictions.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/offduty-garda-abused-psni-officers-who-arrested-him-in-taxi-row-29859092.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

It's just another nasty consequence of the Bertie Ahern era.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/offduty-garda-abused-psni-officers-who-arrested-him-in-taxi-row-29859092.html
    Older gardai were last week mortified by the latest damaging allegations involving members of the force.

A number expressed concern about the lax vetting when the force was rapidly expanded with the intake of 2,000 extra recruits in the 2004-2006 period at the direction of then Justice Minister Michael McDowell.

Senior sources said the intake was so rapid that proper vetting was not carried out in many cases and not at all in some cases. It later emerged that people had been recruited into the force with convictions for traffic, disorder and other offences.

All four gardai involved in the alleged drunken incidents are said to be part of the intake ordered under the then Fianna Fail-Progressive Democrats coalition

I've seen this myself. Guys who are now cops with very shady backgrounds. Every week now we hear about another incident involving corruption, abuse of power, data protection violations etc.

Still doubt it?

The case in Limerick last week where off duty Gardai ran amok and beat up a guy yards from his house after they demanded that he show them where the hookers were was bad enough but the shocking part of it was the fact that the same said officers returned to work the next day. It's the stuff of fiction.

redout wrote: »
    It was mentioned in one of the Sunday papers.

Some members of AGS never vetted and some in there with convictions.

I'm shocked at that. Just shows how desperate they were to expand the force at that time. They really did let anyone in, didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AmiBear

I did. I had done the day course and this time I bought the home course package. A little more help would be great. :)

How are u finding the home study course? Is it worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Hey, did ye set up a study group?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

I'm shocked at that. Just shows how desperate they were to expand the force at that time. They really did let anyone in, didn't they?

At least now you can apply, to come and save the force...

Great to see some more people on this thread. I will set up a facebook group page tomorrow since there's more interest and will post the link. :) More future guards welcome. :) Yea the home study course isn't bad, just gives an insight in what to expect with exams. Hope ye all had a great Christmas!

For all of ye on facebook. The group page is called "Garda Entry Groupies" Just created it on my phone. So far there's two members. There's nothing on the page so far but will post up links with useful information as soon as I can. :) If ye can't find the page or access it, give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

For all of ye on facebook. The group page is called "Garda Entry Groupies" Just created it on my phone. So far there's two members. There's nothing on the page so far but will post up links with useful information as soon as I can. :) If ye can't find the page or access it, give me a shout.

Fair play to ye for that. Well done :)
    I must be the only person not on fb in this day in age but fair play to you for doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Hey, I can't find that, I'm getting no results back for this group?

• Advertisement

Anything to help someone. :) We can always leave this thread open as a questions and answers or chit chat thread for garda prep, if the mods for this forum will allow it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Joined the group! Great idea. Nice to see people willing to help one another instead of tearing them apart!

Thanks Aido. Any newbies for the facebook page, the link is on my signature. Click it and you're there. ;) I really should get to sleep. Lol

Hi people!

I joined the group there, I m working with a very good book at the moment for the aptitude as well,

Feel free to pm for the name,

Great idea with the fb group btw! :)

Hi midnight!

How did you find the home study pack ? :)

• Advertisement

It's pretty good. Gives you sample tests and shows you what to expect with the apptitude tests. :)

Still can't access Facebook page??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

aido112 wrote: »
    Still can't access Facebook page??

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Me too

Is it that ye can't find the link or generally can't or can't see the group? Here's the link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/gardaentrygroupies/

• Advertisement

Is it that ye can't find the link or generally can't or can't see the group? Here's the link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/gardaentrygroupies/

It's comes up group cannot be found

Problem solved.

Very strange. We have eight members so far. The settings for the page say that anyone can see the group. So confused. I wonder has it got anything to do with yer location?

Wouldn't see why location has to do with ppl joining it?? The only thing I could think off is the privacy settings in relation to people joining the group rather than just viewing it

Problem solved i hope! :D Setting for the group changed so do please try the link again? For anyone having problems accessing the group page, please PM me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AmiBear

Has anyone any idea of how many questions they'll ask and what the time limit might be?

AmiBear wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea of how many questions they'll ask and what the time limit might be?

no

They might ask a set of 50 questions that you might have to answer within 60 minutes for one test. A set of 20 questions to answer within 30 minutes. They're some examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Any day courses in Waterford?

There's nothing I can find for Waterford at the moment. There might be more dates for Waterford yet on the career services website. There's one for Cork though, that might be another option for you if it's not too far to travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gralaois

Loads of individual courses available this time round.. Be wary of the money grabbing ones!

• Advertisement
Advertisement