Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to build a road in a forest?

• 14-12-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I know the forestry grant for roading is 35 euro per linear metre but what is the price on the ground on a forest that has a good base with not a huge amount of work to do to put in a road.I want to put in a short length of road near spec but not grant aided.Thanks

/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Ring an afforestation company they can manage the installation for you greenbelt, SWS, FEL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've heard people talking about €15-20/linear meter for self-built non-grant aided roads, but that would of course be very dependant on what materials were available on site and how much machinery/labour the person can provide themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

Thanks Rovi thats what I thought it might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Hi Jerry. .. depends on a whole lot of factors... just finished 650m of a grant spec road with all bought in stone. .graded, rolled finished with 804, graded and rolled again. ..came in at €39mtr + VAT
    jerryg wrote: »
    I know the forestry grant for roading is 35 euro per linear metre but what is the price on the ground on a forest that has a good base with not a huge amount of work to do to put in a road.I want to put in a short length of road near spec but not grant aided.Thanks

/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Hi Jerry. .. depends on a whole lot of factors... just finished 650m of a grant spec road with all bought in stone. .graded, rolled finished with 804, graded and rolled again. ..came in at €39mtr + VAT
    Hi Jack,
    Can the VAT be reclaimed on the roadway if you're a farmer, like general capital expenditure on a farm?

• Advertisement

Hi locky... yes I believe so but check with your accountant...
    locky76 wrote: »
    Hi Jack,
    Can the VAT be reclaimed on the roadway if you're a farmer, like general capital expenditure on a farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

"Hi Jerry. .. depends on a whole lot of factors... just finished 650m of a grant spec road with all bought in stone. .graded, rolled finished with 804, graded and rolled again. ..came in at €39mtr + VAT"

Thats great Jack its good to get other prices.I have been quoted up to €30/linear metre vat included to bring it up to grant spec and I thought it was expensive but maybe not in light of your reply,my underlying subsoil is a shallow soil on limestone.Thanks for your reply.
    Jerry

jerryg wrote: »
    "Hi Jerry. .. depends on a whole lot of factors... just finished 650m of a grant spec road with all bought in stone. .graded, rolled finished with 804, graded and rolled again. ..came in at €39m + VAT"

Thats great Jack its good to get other prices.I have been quoted up to €30/linear metre vat included to bring it up to grant spec and I thought it was expensive but maybe not in light of your reply,my underlying subsoil is a shallow soil on limestone.Thanks for your reply.
    Jerry

Well Jerry if it is shallow like less than a foot on average then most likely it is expensive. .. best option is to get quote from the forester for his part of the job... then easy to quantify if it's expensive or not. I would be very slow to build without grant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Well Jerry if it is shallow like less than a foot on average then most likely it is expensive. .. best option is to get quote from the forester for his part of the job... then easy to quantify if it's expensive or not. I would be very slow to build without grant...

Did a small grant aided 80m for 40/m incl dirch removal, road construction, mill dust to seal road. Had access to neighbours quarry for sub layer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If the soil is shallow you may have to remove all to fill sown to stone thereby making it expensive. However if you are on limestone there may be broken limestone local that you will not have to pay through the nose for. Your biggest expense will be the fill. The other option is to apply for a fill licience of Co-Council and look for fill off a builder it would take a while to get it done allow a year.

A lot will depend on how shallow, is the limestone solid or broken sometimes you come across limestone that is broken like 3-6'' stone and you may be able to source some locally or even dig some out and use soil from road to fill hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Actually if not grant aided, I make a small a road as is necessary.
    I just did first thinning, by saw, and most of road was unnecessary. It may be needed at later date.
    However with security issue not sure if I'll ever stack wood there.
    Talk to a forestry contractor to see what you'd actually need.
    Good luck with it,

Advertisement