Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting Heart Rate Zones without LTHR.

Options
  • 14-12-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Does anyone do this, using just max HR or reserve heart rate? I'm wondering what are the correct zones for cycling/running are. I've read in some places that zone 1 is 50-60% of MHR and in others that it's 55-65%. I'm setting the zones on my garmin and not sure which to use.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Does anyone do this, using just max HR or reserve heart rate? I'm wondering what are the correct zones for cycling/running are. I've read in some places that zone 1 is 50-60% of MHR and in others that it's 55-65%. I'm setting the zones on my garmin and not sure which to use.

why not just do a lthr test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

mossym wrote: »
    why not just do a lthr test?

No turbo or races coming up for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

They differ for running and cycling. Probably best to do a simulated test ?

AKW wrote: »
    They differ for running and cycling. Probably best to do a simulated test ?

What's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What's that?

30 minute time trial in each sport
    take average heart rate for last 20 minutes of time trial. LTHR approximation

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    30 minute time trial in each sport
    take average heart rate for last 20 minutes of time trial. LTHR approximation

But this is what I'm asking, what is the best alternative to doing this? I could do a 30 minute TT on a track for the run no problem. I don't have a turbo for the bike, so would like a guide for heart rate zones (don't need to be super accurate, I'll do a TT in January).

But this is what I'm asking, what is the best alternative to doing this? I could do a 30 minute TT on a track for the run no problem. I don't have a turbo for the bike, so would like a guide for heart rate zones (don't need to be super accurate, I'll do a TT in January).

Pick a number you like. Somewhere over 100 and under 200.

No testing no accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

http://www.askdoctornat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/borg-img-docstoccdn-com.png
    5 zones
    that will do you best scientifically proven to be as good as an lthr approximation ;-0
    the only problem is you cant buy gadgets for this test so its not boards approved ;-) ;-)
    at the same time is there a regulation that you cant tt in december, if you are looking for the numbers and not having to use your brain while training or for a 2nd reference point ?

happy x mas.

peter kern wrote: »
    http://www.askdoctornat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/borg-img-docstoccdn-com.png
    5 zones
    that will do you best scientifically proven to be as good as an lthr approximation ;-0
    the only problem is you cant buy gadgets for this test so its not boards approved ;-) ;-)
    at the same time is there a regulation that you cant tt in december, if you are looking for the numbers and not having to use your brain while training or for a 2nd reference point ?

happy x mas.

Agree completely RPE is a fantastic tool but it does require someone to have a good knowledge of themselves. Something I think most do not.

Personally I use RPE, HR and pace/power.

The three are the best to use in conjunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the other thing that might help you is that your heart dosnt work in zones and that something completely different happens if you go from 60 -65 % of your hr things are starting to shift not change completely the parameter just start to shift.

also rest times affect how hard you work
    and the duration you work in zones is important to.

best you buy a book pete pfitzinger serious marathon training is what i would suggest (works v well for duathlon training )

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    at the same time is there a regulation that you cant tt in december

Where is a good place to TT?

Advertisement