Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demolished Flats

Options
  • 14-12-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

So I know that I am probably the only one in Dublin who thinks this and for certain reasons, I can see why.

I was reminiscing yesterday while I was walking up Bridgefoot Street :rolleyes: It didn't seem that long ago when the flats were still there and I found myself wishing they were back.

I started thinking about other flats as well that have been knocked down in the past few years. Now I know they were knocked down for certain reasons and I know many people will say 'they should have been, they were kips' etc but only people who have lived in flats will understand when I say that there was a certain sense of community in the flats, one that you probably won't get in a normal housing estate.

I grew up in Basin Street flats and everyone knew everyone, I would hate to see them go as well. My granny lived in Bridgefoot Street flats til the day she died and they had the exact same community feeling. Fatima Mansions were the same. From the outside the place looked like something from the slums but it really was a nice place for people who lived there.

The last one is O Devaney Gardens which was supposed to be demolished during the boom. Now I know that place has serious social problems but for the people who live or lived there, the memories are sometimes more important.

Think about the house you grew up in, think about the neighbors you had and then think about that whole place being demolished because it didn't 'look good'.

Obviously there were other reasons for demolishing such as the conditions of the flats but does anyone else agree that they are missed for certain reasons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Some flat complexes were a disaster(think of Sheriff st) and others have been a community success(Ringsend springs to mind).

Basin st flats still standing? Last time I passed there(yes 2 years ago), they were all boarded up.

Dominick st flats on the eastern side have been demolished, not sure whats going to replace them, great location though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Yep, Basin Street's still going strong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I remember living opposite bridgefoot street flats and them being demolished block by block.

lived in basin street as well and can never remember them being boarded up or even talk of them being under threat

all the shops going into odeveany were demolished around 6 years ago now, maybe longer

Fatima was a very depressing place, I had a couple of friends who lived there and at night time it was very eerie and almost intimidating. Saw so many strange and terrible incidents. Always remember walking up the steps and hearing syringes crunch under my feet -glad that place is gone tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

In Oliver Bond? And yeah, I have to agree with you about Fatima, it was a bit miserable alright, still and all, I'm sure some people would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

yes, lived in OB flats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Speaking of Bridgefoot Street I have been walking down that street for almost a decade now and nothing has changed. The same derelict sites are filled with rubbish and nothing has been done.

I have come to the conclusion that Dublin City Council are utterly useless. How hard can it be to contact the owners and ensure these sites are cleaned and protected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Nobody has spoken about Bridgefoot Street in nearly 5 months. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement