Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which sectors are most and least difficult to operate in Ireland?

Options
  • 14-12-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

As the title of this forum goes.. which industry sectors are difficult to operate in and which ones are the easiest, from entrepreneurial point of view?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

As the title of this forum goes.. which industry sectors are difficult to operate in and which ones are the easiest, from entrepreneurial point of view?

sectors you are an expert in - the easiest.
    sectors you know nothing about - difficult ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

In my experience if you are dealing with public sector/semi state God help you and if you are dealing with public sector/semi state in the form of a board of management God help you even more. Weeks if not months to get an opinion never mind a decision, individuals not wanting to make decisions, goal posts constantly changing, no one willing to help and of course if anything goes wrong its always your fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

tarmon wrote: »
    In my experience if you are dealing with public sector/semi state God help you and if you are dealing with public sector/semi state in the form of a board of management God help you even more. Weeks if not months to get an opinion never mind a decision, individuals not wanting to make decisions, goal posts constantly changing, no one willing to help and of course if anything goes wrong its always your fault!

I disagree, once your in with them it's guaranteed payment on time and you can charge higher than you could to the private sector as once they appoint a supplier they no longer pay very much attention to what's bring charged

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

Bandara wrote: »
    I disagree, once your in with them it's guaranteed payment on time and you can charge higher than you could to the private sector as once they appoint a supplier they no longer pay very much attention to what's bring charged

Actually Bandara you are right in the case of supplying to the public sector once you go through all the hoops of public procurement it will be relatively plain sailing (I used to be in sales and have had plenty of experience of dealing with hospitals, universities etc). I should have been more specific. If you are trying to get a business off the ground that depends on getting agreement with semi state or public bodies that function as a board of management to use their land for a tourism venture then you'd better have plenty of time on your hands and deep pockets because every inch of red tape will be thrown at you. Decisions are glacially slow when people eventually do make them. Emails will be ignored, phone calls not returned. Just generally very unprofessional behaviour.
    Thats just my experience, as Bandara proves others will have different experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Bandara wrote: »
    I disagree, once your in with them it's guaranteed payment on time and you can charge higher than you could to the private sector as once they appoint a supplier the wasters no longer pay very much attention to what's bring charged

FYP

Advertisement