Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing homemade pizza?

Options
  • 14-12-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I usually make my own pizza once a week but I often find that I end up with too much sauce or toppings and end up throwing things out if they don't get used up. I was thinking of making some extra pizzas, wrapping them up and freezing them, similar to shop bought frozen pizzas. Has anyone ever done this with success before? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    I usually make my own pizza once a week but I often find that I end up with too much sauce or toppings and end up throwing things out if they don't get used up. I was thinking of making some extra pizzas, wrapping them up and freezing them, similar to shop bought frozen pizzas. Has anyone ever done this with success before? :)

You can freeze the dough no problem, and the tomato sauce. But I wouldn't freeze them together, nor would I freeze assembled pizzas. I'd say it would be horribly soggy when defrosted. Or else you'd try to cook from frozen but the top would cook before the base and that wouldn't be nice.

You could freeze most toppings too realistically so I'd go with freezing them separately and assembling as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I freeze parbaked pizza bases regulary. I cook empty pizza bases for about 4 minutes and freeze them.

I also freeze left over home made tomato sauce to use on pizzas.

When I need to use them, I put on the oven, take the bases out of the freezer and by the time the oven is heated up, the pizza is slightly thawed out, assembled and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

huskerdu wrote: »
    I freeze parbaked pizza bases regulary. I cook empty pizza bases for about 4 minutes and freeze them.

I also freeze left over home made tomato sauce to use on pizzas.

When I need to use them, I put on the oven, take the bases out of the freezer and by the time the oven is heated up, the pizza is slightly thawed out, assembled and ready to go.

+1

I do exactly the same, handy during the week if stuck for something to eat and taste great...

Advertisement