Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox stops responding to Google search.

Options
  • 14-12-2013 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I seem to have a little problem that I cannot replicate with Google Chrome. Sometimes when I search using Google the Firefox browser hangs for a moment and a message 'not responding' appears briefly in the program bar at the top. This has only started happening in the last two weeks, and it only happens when I'm using Google on Firefox. I have updated Firefox and this seems to have stopped it occurring as frequently but it still happens now and again. Using the browser on any other web page is smooth and without issue. Task manager tells me I'm only using just over a Gig of Ram and there is no heavy load on the CPU. Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ling-zing

disable all add ons and see does it still happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I went through them one by one and I think it's the Avast online security 9.0.2006.53 Plugin that is the culprit. I may have to look for different security software. Pity, Avast free has been good to me for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ling-zing

try an update of avast,but i think you'll need to revert back to a older version,depending how long ago you updated it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I've heard good things about ClamAV, open source security software for free. It's supposed to use low system resources.
    ClamAV is an open source (GPL) antivirus engine designed for detecting Trojans, viruses, malware and other malicious threats. It is the de facto standard for mail gateway scanning. It provides a high performance mutli-threaded scanning daemon, command line utilities for on demand file scanning, and an intelligent tool for automatic signature updates. The core ClamAV library provides numerous file format detection mechanisms, file unpacking support, archive support, and multiple signature languages for detecting threats. The core ClamAV library is utilized in Immunet 3.0, powered by ClamAV, which is a fast, fully featured Desktop AV solution for Windows.

Has anybody used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Just uninstall/disable the Avast plugin?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement