Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamping near Croom Co. Limerick

Options
  • 14-12-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

To those out lamping near Coom the last couple of nights.

I hope you had a great time.

You were shooting on land where you had no permission from the owner.

You were shooting near houses with young children where you woke them up.

You were shooting on land with horses.

You were shooting very near 2 public roads.

You have pissed off everyone in the area and ensured that those of us who did have permission to shoot in the area will no longer have same.

You have damaged the reputation of all shooters.

And last but not least you peppered at least one back garden with pellets..

You are a disgrace to the sport, you should not have licences and you have no consideration for land owners, residents, laws or safety.

Absolute morons and if I or anyone from the area or any of the very few who had permission to shoot on the land finds out who you are you will be reported..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

That is disgrace, I hope you find out who they are and sort them,any idea or inkling who they are or where they are from, did ye get reg numbers. Someone must know who they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

with pellets ??? hardly a shotgun ????

charlie10 wrote: »
    with pellets ??? hardly a shotgun ????

What the jaysus do you think is in a shotgun catridge:confused: cotton balls:D

hardly lamping with shotgun i what i meant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Of course not :rolleyes: why would you do that? I've shot more foxes with a shotgun than you've had hot dinners I reckon :)

• Advertisement

why not with a shotgun??????

beside two public roads and horses there too ! it would take a limerick man alright:rolleyes:

beside two public roads and horses there too ! it would take a limerick man alright:rolleyes:

nothing here say there from Limerick:confused:

thats Limerick city !!!!!!

No:confused:

• Advertisement

rubber bandits no ...i give up

It is as near the cork border as it is Limerick City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Given where else it's reasonably near, perhaps it was some of the cousins home for the Christmas holidays?

:
    spyderski wrote: »
    Given where else it's reasonably near, perhaps it was some of the cousins home for the Christmas holidays?

:eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

That is disgrace, I hope you find out who they are and sort them,any idea or inkling who they are or where they are from, did ye get reg numbers. Someone must know who they are

I got a call from a landowner at 1am asking me wtf I was doing shooting at that hour of the night. (I am the only one who has permission to shoot).

I explained I was in bed and advised he call the garda station and report them. Went for a look but they were gone. Got another call yesterday and was told about the pellets.

I have been asked not to shoot on the land anymore. He was quick to explain that it was nothing I had done but when I was seen on the land it just brought in others..

Best of my permissions, lots of rabbits, great access, open spaces and it's gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EP90

Yer can’t legislate for muppets.
    Maybe when the owner cools down a bit you could approach him again. Maybe suggest you ring/text him each time you plan to shoot and outside those times he should report any other trespass or shooting. Explain illegal shooting does happen regardless of whether other people have permission. Often having someone with permission is a deterrent for illegal shooters. A Christmas bottle may compensate for his troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

knipex wrote: »

I have been asked not to shoot on the land anymore. He was quick to explain that it was nothing I had done but when I was seen on the land it just brought in others..

Unfortunately that happens everywhere ! It actually happened myself this year. I had permission off a very sticky farmer and in return I did some mechanical work. Lads saw me shooting the land at the start of the season, the very next day , I kid you not ...they were on the ground shooting everything in sight ! Safe to say that was my permission gone !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm not sure I understand this - surely the permission is made out to you, as a named person to both the landowner and the local Garda station? And to nobody else. How can somebody who is not authorised go on to a landowner's land without permission and shoot? Surely they are trespassing - and with a firearm?

Deeeeeeeeeep doo-doo, surely?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jerrystevens

this is ireland Tac where the' ah sure it'll be alright ' mentality reigns supreme lads think that they can walk and shoot where they like until told other wise then even if challenged ,act as if they are the ones who are being wronged !! and god help you if you sound anything other than local then it's your fault what has happened in ireland for the last 800 years and your only a blow in so have no rights :mad:
    Only the other week i had to go down the farm as some eejits were shooting at dusk on land they had no permission on , in a field containing three mares all of which were galloping mad , the next door farmers daughter had her two mares out too she lost the plot they did allow lads in sometimes if they asked ,but that has now ended .
    needless to say there are now no shooting signs up on our gates and theirs now
    lets see does it work , i doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thanks for that. Things sure are different over there aren't they?

tac in yUK

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand this - surely the permission is made out to you, as a named person to both the landowner and the local Garda station? And to nobody else. How can somebody who is not authorised go on to a landowner 's land without permission and shoot? Surely they are trespassing - and with a firearm?

Deeeeeeeeeep doo-doo, surely?

tac
    welcome to the lackadaisical laws in this country where the genuine hunter/shooter gets screwed,you are correct but having it enforced is another thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

As far as I know isn't a charge able offense. The only hope is that they would have there firearms taking away because they were outside the reason of why they obtained there license in the first place.

Maybe things could be used against them to be fair. But noting can be done unless there caught. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EP90

Well I guess you could start with trespass and add to it …. if they were to be caught and proved
    13.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person, without reasonable excuse, to trespass on any building or the curtilage thereof in such a manner as causes or is likely to cause fear in another person.

EP90 wrote: »
    Well I guess you could start with trespass and add to it …. if they were to be caught and proved
    13.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person, without reasonable excuse, to trespass on any building or the curtilage thereof in such a manner as causes or is likely to cause fear in another person.

Only the landowner can prosecute,and the penalty for trespass is very little,not worh the hassle and the legal cost to landowner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

EP90 wrote: »

Ok so it shall be an offence that's grand which offence criminal or civil. If its civil the guards won't prosicute. It only becomes criminal when an action taken place while trespassing is deemed as a criminal offence.

So its from your post I take trespass isn't an offence on less you put fear in another person. So causeing fear is the offence not actually trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Section 44 of the wildlife act
    Unlawful hunting or entry on land and other miscellaneous matters

44.—(1) Any person who not being the owner or occupier of land—

(a) with a firearm or with a device, instrument or missile mentioned in section 72 (7) of this Act hunts a wild bird or wild animal on the land or moves or drives such a bird or such an animal off the land in order so to hunt it,

(b) enters on the land for the purpose of so hunting wild birds or wild animals,

(c) carries on the land any firearm, net, or other weapon, instrument or device capable of being used for hunting a wild bird or a wild animal, or

(d) shoots over or into the land,

without the permission either of the person who is the owner or the occupier of the land or, in case some other person is entitled to enjoy sporting rights over the land, that other person, shall be guilty of an offence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1976/en/act/pub/0039/sec0044.html#sec44

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok so it shall be an offence that's grand which offence criminal or civil. If its civil the guards won't prosicute. It only becomes criminal when an action taken place while trespassing is deemed as a criminal offence.

So its from your post I take trespass isn't an offence on less you put fear in another person. So causeing fear is the offence not actually trespassing.

I think it became a criminal offence in the last few years but I'm not certain. I've heard it being mentioned in discussion of the Lissadell estate case but have not read the legislation myself. I'm on a tablet at the minute so can't look it up without a lot of hassle. Will look for it in the next few days and come back if no one else posts it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Vegeta wrote: »
    I think it became a criminal offence in the last few years but I'm not certain. I've heard it being mentioned in discussion of the Lissadell estate case but have not read the legislation myself. I'm on a tablet at the minute so can't look it up without a lot of hassle. Will look for it in the next few days and come back if no one else posts it.

TBH I cannot see how the Lissadell case could be relevant. Trespass was mentioned in it, (with I think a passing reference to entry onto the lands for poaching, cutting trees, etc) but where it was mentioned it was linked to passing on the claimed rights of way rather than anything else. Trespass is quite complicated, it primarily is a civil matter but it can become criminal if it changes to aggravated trespass (trespass with the intention of committing an offence.) Simple trespass is not worth pursuing unless you have a problem with a repeat offender.

If you wanted to push the criminal side of it and get the Gardai involved, Section 11 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994 makes it an offence for anyone to enter (i.e., trespass) a building or the vicinity of a building with the intention of committing an offence and/or interfering with property. (Coming onto land to take game, Homerhop’s Section 44 of the Wildlife Act 1976). By being on the property this will be enough to bring a person within the definition of section 11. BUT it will be a matter for you in any proceedings to prove that the accused person was present on the property with the intention of committing an offence or with intent to interfere with any property. Not easy. Here

As said above by EP90 when he mentioned Section 13 of the same Act - covers causing fear.

The cowboys who entered onto the Croom lands committed several offences IMO, they trespassed – easy to prove but no big deal, they possibly were poaching (only if they were caught with game, not a fox) so hard to prove. On a criminal side they discharged firearms recklessly, if they were shooting game after sunset that is an offence, and their trespass becomes criminal. Not easy to prove.

I’ve always found country Gardai very decent – if there are any left in your area. (They’re gone from mine, and the nearest station now is 45 mins away with only one car!) Call them to say that there is a bunch of cowboys firing ‘weapons’ , pellets hitting windows, horses/cattle stampeding, and they will be out. They usually want to meet guys like that anyway,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

they dont have to be caught with an animal, its there in black and white

Advertisement