If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with sound system

Options
  • 14-12-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi RS, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on purchasing a sound system. So, I have a HTPC connected to a LG TV 42" Full HD and want to get some nice audio system but have no idea what would suit me best. Should I buy AMP + Speakers separately or should I go for a 5.1 Home Cinema System like 
    this:
     http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/pioneer/htp072/pion-htp072

I mean, would something like this definitely improve my movie/music experience? 

Then, I am really new to this, will I just connect the HTPC to the AMP via HDMI and AMP to TV via hdmi and thats it?

Sorry I am really new to this HTPC/Audio thing. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

zEmo23 wrote: »
    Hi RS, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on purchasing a sound system. So, I have a HTPC connected to a LG TV 42" Full HD and want to get some nice audio system but have no idea what would suit me best. Should I buy AMP + Speakers separately or should I go for a 5.1 Home Cinema System like 
    this:
     http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/pioneer/htp072/pion-htp072

I mean, would something like this definitely improve my movie/music experience? 

Then, I am really new to this, will I just connect the HTPC to the AMP via HDMI and AMP to TV via hdmi and thats it?

Sorry I am really new to this HTPC/Audio thing. Thanks for your help.
    zEmo23,

many thanks for the email and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

Yep, you have got it spot on - you esentially use your Amp as the central hub - everything connects into the amp and then a single HDMI goes to the TV - this cuts right down on the cable clutter and ensures the best AV quality on all sources. 

The Pioneer HTP072 is really excellent value as it includes a decent quality amplifier with a 5.1 speaker package at just £249.95 / €308.99  - if you could stretch the budget a little we can do the What Hi-fi Home Cinema amp of the Year up to £350, the Yamaha RXV375 with the matching Yamaha Speaker 5.1 speaker kit, the NSP40 at just £299.95 / €369.99 (reduced from £400) and this combination really does sound AMAZING for the money.

The Yamaha has a few critical features over Pioneer - it's 3D ready, has 4 HDMI inputs ( the Pioneer only has 3), & it has 4K video passthrough - all well worth the extra few quid - possibly most importantly it has an Active subwoofer output maning that you really can use the 375 as the basis for a system that you can continue to upgrade..

Have a look at the RXV375 review here: http://awards.whathifi.com/awards/2013/home-cinema-amplifiers and here is the NSP40 link: http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/yamaha/nsp40/yama-nsp40-blk

Do make sure you leave a little budget to get some half decent HDMI cables and I would look at adding some decent speaker cable to replace the basic stuff supplied when the budget allows,

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zEmo23

Hi, thanks for the quick response!

Your suggestion looks really good, is that price available for order online? 

Another question, am I losing much going the HTiB way instead of buying piece by piece? I mean, I understand I could build a better quality system buying for example AMP + Front speakers + subwoofer first, but is this really necessary for a guy buying his first audio system? And this way I would go over the budget which its not something I am looking for...

Thanks again for your help.

Hi, thanks for the quick response!

Your suggestion looks really good, is that price available for order online? 

Another question, am I losing much going the HTiB way instead of buying piece by piece? I mean, I understand I could build a better quality system buying for example AMP + Front speakers + subwoofer first, but is this really necessary for a guy buying his first audio system? And this way I would go over the budget which its not something I am looking for...

Thanks again for your help.
    The HTP072 can be purchased on www.richersounds.ie no problem - the RXV375 / NS40 system would have to be done over the phone if you wanted the extra Boardie discount I gave in the earlier post - its actually quicker purchasing over the phone - less forms to fill in!

On the different routes - the HTP072 is a brilliant starter system, but in a while you may feel constrained by the lack of ability to upgrade it - but if you can bust the budget ( difficult at this time of year I know!) then the RXV375 / NSP40 makes far better long term value.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi, thanks again for your help!

For how long can you keep that discount available? I need a few days to think about it and mostly to convince the missus to go over the budget... lol

For how long can you keep that discount available? I need a few days to think about it and mostly to convince the missus to go over the budget... lol
    No problem and dont overstretch yourself - as I said the Pioneer is an excellent unit as well!

We are happy to keep the quoted price for 7 days no problem and if you would like to go ahead with either system at any time just drop us a PM or a quick mail to sales@richersounds.ie

Thanks again,

atVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

No problem and dont overstretch yourself - as I said the Pioneer is an excellent unit as well!

We are happy to keep the quoted price for 7 days no problem and if you would like to go ahead with either system at any time just drop us a PM or a quick mail to sales@richersounds.ie

Thanks again,

atVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Sent you a PM today. Talk to you soon. cheers

Thanks again,

atVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Sent you a PM today. Talk to you soon. cheers
    Right back at ya!

ATVB,

Jmc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.