Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

movies with a hip-hop soundtrack?

• 14-12-2013 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭

From jimmy iovines post in track of the day got me thinking about films with a decent hip hop soundtrack apart from the obvious ones boyz in da hood, dont be a menace,juice,clockers etc

Anyone any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Watched Office Space on Netflix a few months back, full of top notch hip hop tunes!

Not a movie, but The Wire is also littered with them

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rhyme & Reason
    Office Space
    Bulworth
    Trespass (rock & hip hop mash ups)
    Tales From Da Hood
    Soul In The Hole
    Murder Was the Case
    Ghost Dog
    Man With The Iron Fists
    High School High
    The Show
    Above The Rim
    New Jersey Drive

There's something else I watched recently that had loads of excellent tracks, it'll come to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

In too deep and cradle 2 to the grave have very decent hip hop soundtracks, worth a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Rhyme & Reason
    Office Space
    Bulworth
    Trespass (rock & hip hop mash ups)
    Tales From Da Hood
    Soul In The Hole
    Murder Was the Case
    Ghost Dog
    Man With The Iron Fists
    High School High
    The Show
    Above The Rim
    New Jersey Drive

There's something else I watched recently that had loads of excellent tracks, it'll come to me.

Will check them out boom bap cheers! seen a low budget film a few years ago starring tariq from the roots brooklyn babylon it was called not great but the soundtrack was unreal by the roots unfortunately they never released a sound track to it!

Trespass had a fairly decent soundtrack same with judgement night although it was metal/hip hop crossover it worked surprisingly well together and as far as I remember the film colors had a few hip hop tracks on it ice-ts "colors" being one of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Friday!

• Advertisement

Just thought of Whole train soundtrack! Some nice ones on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

One that I didn't expect but has a dope soundtrack is the Jonah Hill film The Sitter. It has Sugar Hill Gang, Pharcyde, Slick Rick, Ohmega Watts, Biz Markie and 2 Live Crew from what I can remember.

I think Jonah Hill is a hip hop fan and Meth has a small part in the movie.

Oh and La Haine has an absolutely amazing soundtrack of you don't mind a bit of French hip hop.

Andy_rse wrote: »
    One that I didn't expect but has a dope soundtrack is the Jonah Hill film The Sitter. It has Sugar Hill Gang, Pharcyde, Slick Rick, Ohmega Watts, Biz Markie and 2 Live Crew from what I can remember.

I think Jonah Hill is a hip hop fan and Meth has a small part in the movie.

I actually liked that movie although it was riddled with cheese.

I think This Is The End also had a good few well known hip hop tracks on it as well.

• Advertisement

There's a French film called "A Prophet" that has a Nas track slap bang in the middle. It comes from nowhere. I lost all concentration and spent 2/3 minutes trying to figure out was it Nas or was I imagining things.

Oh and La Haine has an absolutely amazing soundtrack of you don't mind a bit of French hip hop.

Cut killas remix of krs ones and no regrets is classic one of my favourite films too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

From my personal collection that haven't been mentioned:

Old school:
    New Jack City
    Mo' Money
    Deep Cover
    High School High
    Boyz 'N Da Hood
    Juice
    Judgement Night
    Less Than Zero (couple of tracks)
    Menace II Society

Newer:
    8 Mile

Notorious - if not for the music, then for the ladies.

Very happy that they included this scene. They even got the clothes correct.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I actually liked that movie although it was riddled with cheese.

I think This Is The End also had a good few well known hip hop tracks on it as well.

Yeah I like that kind of dumb movie, just switch off the brain. I like Jonah Hills stuff, enjoyed This Is The End and 21 Jump Street was class, Ice Cube was funny in it too (keeping the hip hop theme here)

This has to be the best hip hop track from a movie ever :D

Yeah I like that kind of dumb movie, just switch off the brain. I like Jonah Hills stuff, enjoyed This Is The End and 21 Jump Street was class, Ice Cube was funny in it too (keeping the hip hop theme here)

This has to be the best hip hop track from a movie ever :D

Yes. Forgot about that. My favourite movie when I was younger.

The children I'm teaching didn't know who Michael Jordan was last week so I showed them a video of him on YouTube. I grew up when he was at the peak of his powers. Kinda forget that it was so long ago.

21 Jump Street was excellent :)

In regards to La Heine, great movie, but the bit in the towers where the DJ points the speakers out the windows and starts cutting up is not on the soundtrack :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Bad boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

here's a couple that have not been mentioned yet

lakeview Terrace http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947802/soundtrack

CB4 ,

Bulworth (crap film decent soundtrack)

Ghost dog

"Bomb the system" film about graffiti artists music by el-p

• Advertisement
Advertisement